New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    ive not posted this in our vendor thread yet but a few of you have asked me about it - I figured I'd start a new thread to share info and updates.

I've been watching the 950/990 air filter space for years...I get why everyone (myself included) have gone the usual route we have taken with any of the various ITG based systems but I've never been completely happy and always wanted to do something different; make it better... I believe that KTM learns from racing and incorporates their experience into production bikes and so why wouldn't we? Keep an eye on our vendor thread as we share more information in the coming weeks but for those interested, I got a lot of input from you here and other forums / groups and have incorporated your wish lists into the design we are developing. Thank you for your help!

New simple base design with superior dust sealing
    Dual density filter design that is very cost effective and extremely easy to clean / store
    Rally bike style access and fasteners
    Universal filter sizing for all 950/990 (including the SE of course)
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I’m all ears! The Rotti will take some beating but never say never.
    Go you very clever blokes!..
    alongat likes this.
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    As long you implement skulls I'm happy.
    alongat likes this.
  4. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what do you have in mind? how are you going to do that?
  5. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tested a base plate with ITG filter. Liked the trottle response but did not like the sealing and i could not replace the filter without removing the tank. Furthermore cleaning the filter itself was a pita. I like the filtration performance of the original. It can hold up to 8 rally days with a lot of dunes without looking at it due to its huge filtration area.
    In short it sounds interesting but should tick a lot of boxes to be better than OEM, but you can! I am not looking for more power, but long intervals and filtration performance.
    Pariahtize, geometrician and alongat like this.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    This isn’t about competing with Rottweiler, GEFR, etc as they’re very well established - I’ve just never been happy with a few things on the ITG based systems. I think there’s an opportunity to introduce a game-changing solution and that’s what motivates me on a personal level.

What we are developing uses well known multi-density foam filters on base plates and cages that we’ve designed from the ground up (final real world testing begins as early as next week)...

- I’ve never liked the black foam of the ITG (seems illogical to me)

- I’ve never liked the way the ITG attaches as I’ve never been completely confident of the sealing

- I’ve always wanted the ability to carry a spare filter element in a pocket, tool roll,
    etc

- I don’t like the cost of the ITG filter element

Our system will have a 100% seal all around the perimeter of the filter using a proven methodology, super easy to reach the removal hardware, a very cost effective filter element and a smaller physical footprint overall...it is not filter pods based either.
    Pariahtize, kvango and darkstarmoto like this.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I agree that the stock airbox is fantastically designed and made. The element size and the box’s resistance to water crossings are both great. I think the biggest downsides with the stock airbox are the difficulty of access for maintenance and repairs to carbs, throttle bodies, etc and the general cost of the paper element.
    zedtours likes this.
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:

Official logo? LOL, just kidding.

IMG_3778.jpg
    Pariahtize and LocuL like this.
  9. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes but most of us really dont keen on the logo, but on the product...

do you have any example or drawing of what you are planning to do?

just asking if anybody is interested for something that does not exist wouldn't raise any real interest...

This could also be considered as unethical too...
  10. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I was joking about the logo - it was a response to Locul’s comment.

Of course I will post more info here and in our vendor thread as well as images, etc. -
    I said that right up top.

Not sure what you think is unethical - I haven’t asked anyone if they’re interested. I’ve stated that people have expressed interest in us designing a different type of air filter system and I’ve been personally interested in the challenge. We have never asked for anyone to assume our business risks, we have never crowd funded - I just like understanding the needs of this community and fellow riders. I don’t live inside my own head...I enjoy the collaborative relationship with our customer base and many good friends. I’ve always been 100% transparent with everyone.
    Pariahtize, juames and MAXVERT like this.
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Wth...joking. Though skulls are great.

They will release when time is ready.
    Pariahtize and alongat like this.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks Locul - I found his post a bit strange...clearly he doesn't appreciate skulls like many of us :)
    LocuL likes this.
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. Have you tested anything yet to compare the intake noise? Personally noise doesn't bother me as long as I can still hear those SBK cans purring.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you should expect much measurable difference in sound / noise level compared to the ITG based systems. So in other words...expect Honky the Christmas Goose under full throttle :)
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just saying...it seems (to me at least) that you are trying to find a potential market place...no RnD, no prototyping, no proof of concept, not even some initial drawings in order to understand what are you talking about and trying to make...

the fun part with these bikes is that some folks are trying to create stuff for their own bikes to meet their own needs...and after that, some people express their interest...if an idea is good, there is a potential for profit...

that is just what i am saying and thinking of...but maybe I am too stupid to see behind the lines?
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Im proud to say that making things for our own bikes years ago is how we started and I’d like to think that the products we have produced are regarded as being innovative, well engineered and appreciated by many.

I’m not trying to find or create a marketplace as you have said. I’m doing what I always have done; sharing progress on solutions that people have asked for.
    It will be produced and if I’m wrong about the amount of interest or success then that’s the business risk I take.
    Feel free to go over to the vendor section and look up TripleClamp Moto or our website to learn more about us.

I don’t take what you’re saying personally, sounds like you’re just looking out for yourself and everyone here which is what makes this community so great. With that said, it would be appreciated if you gave us a bit of credit; we’ve earned it.
    Pariahtize, Dusty, Salzig and 3 others like this.
  17. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Any new airfilter designs are greatly appreciated. I agree the ITG based filters have their weaknesses. My biggest disappointments are how they don't prevent water and particles from getting into the throttle bodies/ carbs from splash and rain.

I also don't like/ trust the seal between bottom of filter and baseplate. This Motohooligan inspired design lineage never evolved.

So it's nice to see improvements again in this area.

Of course when I see Greek posts I wonder if there's GEFR backers showing resistance to change.

I see no reason to be negative to new designs for these bikes. There's plenty of room for improvements.
    JohnnyWaffles, Boatman and alongat like this.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Phase 2 of development will be focused on a splash / heat shield for our filter system as well as existing ITG based systems as we share your concern over water, mud, heat, etc.

I’ve never fully trusted the ITG method and I don’t particularly like closed cell foam or rubber for the seals between the base plate and the carbs / throttle bodies either because they both shrink over time and both should use rim grease for an actual seal. Our system utilizes 100% silicone seals that are both heat and fuel resistant and require no rim grease for the airtight seal.

As for the motivation of some of the posts here, I prefer not to believe (naively perhaps) affiliations with other vendors or anything driven by fear of change, etc...I am a customer of both Rottweiler and GEFR after all and friends with many vendors here.
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Now we need skulls. A lot.
    Olmatey, GoGoGavin41, Jaimoto and 2 others like this.
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You’re doing it again - let’s be clear; I never asked anyone if they’re interested. Show me where you think I asked that. As for opening threads, I’m not sure you have any right to determine what constitutes the right to start a thread. There are a lot of people who read and contribute to these threads with no prejudice. I think you need to re-read this whole thread and really ask yourself what your actual objection is.

If someone were to start a thread and describe a potential solution for a problem
    And ask if there was interest, that would be their right to do so but that isn’t even what has happened here and you continue to accuse me of that.

Unless you retract your accusation or prove that your accusation is actually correct in stating that I’m asking who is interested in some fictitious product, I’ll have to report your disruptive and hateful posts to the moderators.

As for GEFR, my only reference was to state that I’m a customer - I never suggested any affiliation between you and GEFR. Get your facts straight.
    NKL, juames, Dusty and 1 other person like this.