New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    LOL :)
    mountaincadre likes this.
  2. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are wondering what is the sound like when giving it some throttle:

It is less than I expected, you can still hear the exhaust. I also have an Husaberg FE570, which has the air intake in the same postion, which is way louder when hard on the throttle. But when touring I think you want some ear plugs.

Also did some logs and slow handling today and I realy like the throttle response.
  3. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering...thanks
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great videos!
  5. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    No doubt that guy can ride the shit outa that bike... check out his Tuareg Rally vids, nice watch with my morning coffee.

GezwindeSpoed how many miles do you have on that motor? It still sounds great.

Alon I am going to wait a bit to put my filter on, I want to have my LM2 hooked back up before i install it and see what it does to AFRs.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    No problem buddy. Didn’t I post a screenshot of the AFR comparison between the “other filter brand” vs ours somewhere in this thread?
  7. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will have to go look.
    I've resisted the open filter till now so my map is for an air box.
  8. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have had the air filtration system on the 990 SMR for about a week now and I love it!

Overall review is that it is a great way to open up the engine! I can tell that I gained some throttle response and few extra ponies. Pleasantly surprised by the lack of increased intake honk under low throttle openings but you can definitely hear it when you wack it open. My 690 has such an annoyingly loud honk with an open air box!!

The bike had the Akra maps loaded when I purchased it so I haven't changed them from that and don't feel the need to at this point.

Installation was simple and intuitive without needing any instructions. Unfortunately on the SMR I won't be able to take advantage of the easy filter changes as the shape of the tank limits access but I shouldn't need to change it too often with it being on strictly street duty.

Thank you for a high quality kit!

One question, where are you guys running the crankcase breather filter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    AD3C2635-8E11-42F1-9567-120B412EBB10.jpeg
    Thank you for your support and this great review - I’m thrilled that you like it. The crankcase breather filter is meant to be ziptied anywhere in front of the filter assembly. Here’s a shot to help with a suggestion.
    FenceJumper09 and nk14zp like this.
  10. Maoule

Oddometer:
    As far as re-jetting...I’m currently running 142 and 145 mains (iirc) and needle clip at 2 from the top and ~2 1/4 turns on the air screws. I’m getting 36-40 mpg (6.25L/100km). What kind of fuel consumption should I expect if I jet appropriately?
  11. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your right hand is independened of the intake sound and adrenaline you should get the same MPG :lol3

Ha ha, the bike did 52.000km, but I had to change the engine 2 weeks before the Intercontinental Rally 2018 would start because of a blown head gasket.
    alongat likes this.
  12. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's an dangerously lean jetting for any open filter configuration.
    Fuel consumption depends on how you ride, so there is no specific answer, but with a proper jetting you will get better mileage and more power, in any case
  13. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Mine came in yesterday...looking forward to getting it installed, but don’t know if I will have time before our rally this weekend. Quality box full of filter upgrade, i’m happy
    alongat likes this.
  14. Maoule

Oddometer:
    I did not remember correctly...running a 148 and 152 mainjets. IMG_6315.jpg Both plugs looked like this.
    BTW, the floats were set at ~4.5mm
  15. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

spark plug is the worst way to determine your engine mixture...I still don't know why people keep doing that...
    Let's say that you are running on a super rich pilot circuit, and extremely lean needle and main jet. If you just start your engine and let it idle for a few minutes, your plugs will be totally black, and indicate a rich condition. And if you go for a trip like that you might get a hole on your piston or burnt valves.

Your jetting is definitely not appropriate with that kind of filter, you need something that is appropriate for similar open filter applications like ITG/Rottweiler. There is a lot of info in the relevant thread.
    alongat likes this.
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have been curious to see how the seal for baseplate was solved.

Had another solution leak on me and bike ate some dirt.

Seems to be foam? Would guess that should be oiled/greased also?

Would have already ordered a setup had I seen I would have time for any riding this summer. But does not look like it .

But a order will be placed not to far away.

/Johan
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It’s not a separate foam seal - it’s literally THE filter that gets installed over the filter cage and makes the 100% perimeter seal. This is a proven sealing method adapted from enduro and rally bikes.
  18. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about the rings under the baseplate.

Guess there is a little cutout to allow baseplate to slip over the tabs that the trumpets grab on to like other.

Where I had the leak on a plate that had big rubber grommets as seal. Have since added some small plastic pieces to be able to fill the void of the cutout but is hard to get them in place and even harder to get them out.

/Johan
  19. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

On my ITG setup I cut the foam rubber seals from an OEM filter and glued them with weather strip glue to the bottom of the base plate. Never had any issues with dirt getting past that setup.
    RedRupert and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  20. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My plugs look ok with the stock filter setup but my exhaust is sooty and I rarely need to choke it. Never checked the jetting cause I planed on changing the filter set up. And it runs like a scalded dog. Got my filter from Triple clamp and just need the time to put it on and check my jets. Remember all. Rich is safer than lean.