New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far this jetting is working for me:

<cross-posted from jetting database>

5,000+ elevation. Dual FMF exhaust and no emissions.

Mains - 155/160
    low spd - 42
    IAMS - 2.25 turns
    IAJ - 70/70
    Stock needles, 2nd clip.
    Floats - 3.5mm

Seemed to run great. No loss of power or throttle response that I could find. 2nd gear roll-on to 9K RPM and it never felt like it was flattening out. I still needed to open the enricher to start it and it very nearly died when I shut that off after a few seconds. I opened it back up just a tad to let it finish warming up. It was about 70 degrees ambient temp for that.

I tried putting it in a higher gear while going slower, maybe 25mph in 3rd gear, and then ripping the throttle open. It didn't bog down like it was flooding. It just kept chugging along with a low rumble. So now i'm wondering if the jetting is still a bit lean. I was expecting the bike to bog down with too much throttle. Also, the IAJ's were at 70 when I got the bike. Should I put those back to the OEM size 50 for any reason?
  2. Olmatey

Olmatey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention i have factory pro needles.
  3. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then switch to the stock needles
    alongat likes this.
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine from the boys at Tripleclamp along with a couple of other bits.

It is not here yet but I can not say enough about their, Alon's in particular, service.

I have bought a few things of the boys and they have always been very helpful and in the past, before they had their Aussie site, helped out with postage.

This time he has helped me out with a steering damper mount issue without any prodding and really looked after me.

AAA+ for the boys. I'm sure my filter and covers will be as good as all the rest of their gear has been.

Service does count.
    keener, Dusty, alongat and 1 other person like this.
  5. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys!!! We really appreciate your support and endorsement.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the stock needles better? I ask because mine came with a spare set I assume to be stock.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Yep.

20190818_182353.jpg
    alongat likes this.
  9. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first attempt to do something useful with the space in front of the filter and to protect it from water and excessive dust.
    A thin tube fits in easily. It is hold in place by a strap below it across the frame tubes. You can reach it with your hands with the fuel tank in place
    IMG_20190819_203245.jpg IMG_20190819_203238.jpg
    nk14zp and LocuL like this.
  10. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Interesting - what material did you make that from? We are working on a “water shield” but haven't planned incorporating any storage there because of lack of access to it with the tank on.
  11. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    HDPE won’t have enough heat resistance and will deform quickly at the temperatures that build over there. There are better materials you can consider if you’re 3D printing it...PET-G and even high temp ABS will be better.
  13. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    :thumb Than version 2 will follow soon. This is just to see if it works, is handy or needs more "development".
    alongat likes this.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider integrating one or two drain holes as well...
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    By the way, how are you routing the crankcase breather hose and filter given that it’s designed to be tied up against that backing plate for the ECU? I do like that location for it because it keeps the breather filter in the highest spot possible.
  16. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    You are right about that, otherwise it will turn into a swimming pool after the first heavy rain/water crossing.

The crank vent is now on the left side you can see it in the first picture. If you remove the curve, it can still sit against the backing plate, but I am no sure this is wise because of the possible oil(mist) coming out of it.
    alongat likes this.
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The filter should catch oil mist...anymore than that and I’d suspect the balance shaft seal needs replacing. In all the bikes I’ve had and worked on, I’ve never seen oil actually drip out of a crankcase breather filter unless it was installed in a downward facing position or that seal perished. I’d do everything possible to keep that filter up high as you said.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    DirtyADV and Mane like this.
  19. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone switched to this from a 950 with stock airbox (rather than Rottweiler etc)?

If so, what difference are you seeing in fuel economy, if any?

Yes I know "fuel economy" is an oxymoron on the 950 but I'm still curious and yes I know this question was asked before but they'd not been released at that point?

I've seen a few 990 threads where fuel economy didn't change much switching from 990 airbox to Rottweiler.

While I'm sure this design is comparable with the Rotty I've finally got my 950 tuned well and I'm getting a solid 37 mpg and as much as I dislike the stock airbox.....
  20. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I switched from stock airbox (no SAS and exhaust decatted) on my 07 SE. My last fill up I got nearly 42 mpg, which was a mix of fairly tame gravel, mud and 60-80mph highway. I’d say, at worst, the mileage is equal to what it was before. Still need to run a few more tanks to be sure.