New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. zimtim

zimtim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting Alon, and if anything like your other products I know it will be good.
    Was looking to change my air intake system but wasn't sure which route to go down. Will certainly be interested in yours.
    MAXVERT and DesertSurfer like this.
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the support!
    zimtim and DesertSurfer like this.
  3. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t get it....It’s called “creating buzz” about one’s product. Why would any businessman give out concept and design info before he’s ready to bring the product to market? That would be stooopid! We lose a lot of vendors and their creativity, as it is, from others pirating their products and R&D. Triple Clamp is a niche in a niche market; I seriously doubt they’re making a killing, (I hope they do).
    I think about the one-off things I’ve made for my bikes and the time and effort it takes just to build it...no fucking way I’d want to go through the processes of ‘hardening’ then manufacturing and hope the price I have to put on it didn’t kill it. It takes BIG BRASS balls...IMHO
    ktm33b, Boatman, alongat and 2 others like this.
  4. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said.
    alongat likes this.
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Feed it, feed the bucket.
  6. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Would there be versions for 1000+/RC8R platform?

I dived in to the ITG system which seems rather ok. But i agree that the seal requires some methods and the locking mechansim is a bit difficult. Though this might be a design flaw from my own hand.

I enjoy your work ethic and how you manage retardeness.

IMG_20180719_001226_711.jpeg IMG_20180817_143249_994.jpeg
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    We will look at the newer bikes: 1090/1190/1290 but if you’re asking if the current filter system will work in your 1190 engined 950 then I’d say yes. Are you running injection or did you end up with carbs on it at some point?

As for dealing with “opposition”...what can I say? I grow less patient and less tolerant of it by the day when it’s not truly constructive or helpful.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Injected
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Base plate dimensions should be identical to the 990 then...need to confirm. Message me - I can send you a file that you can print on paper, cut out the holes and fit it to check but I’m pretty sure it will work for you.
    LocuL likes this.
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A moment take, draw breath, relax and savour a 12yo single malt perhaps... Quietly... and wait for TCM to reveal what is in the oven.

TCM have flagged a new line of inquiry that interests many... no money or down payment asked.

Based upon their past and current bona fides... Let’s wait and see. It should be good!
    LocuL likes this.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you - that was exactly what I was trying to say in the thread when I was being accused of unethically soliciting interest and sales. I’ve never crowd-funded for any of our time and effort; that’s just not our style. If I’m confident in what we design then I should be confident in the sales results and customer satisfaction.

To be perfectly blunt, the de-facto filter systems have been around for years; I fully expect some people to get rattled a bit as with anything new and different.
    juames and DesertSurfer like this.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    RC8 throttle bodies are dimensionally the same (from a base plate perspective)
    IMG_0170.jpg
    LocuL likes this.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will always be sceptics in the open market... Just why some are so zealous in themselves is always a wonder...

I’m tuned and await further developments with a smile on my dial!
    DesertSurfer and alongat like this.
  14. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Foam filters that needs oil are messy enough when you can remove the foam from the cage and really squeeze out the oil.

When foam is fixed to cage unless you can get hold of spray on filter oil its really messy.

And don't like spray on since I'm worried about getting enough oil on all parts of the filter.

Have looked at doing some custom filter solution but not found time to do it and just lived with a messy engine from som filter oil dripping on it.

/Johan
    alongat likes this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    We feel your pain :)

We strongly believe foam and cage should not be one unit for several reasons:
    1- the ability to clean and oil properly
    2- the ability to roll up and carry with you
    3- lower cost of foam elements which are the only consumable item in the system
    4- flexibility to use different foam densities for different conditions
    KiwiHayd, Dusty, DesertSurfer and 2 others like this.
  16. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    interested!
    alongat likes this.
  17. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All ears here
    alongat likes this.
  18. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also interested. After only having a KTM for over a year it's easy to see TCM has made some great products already.
    alongat likes this.
  19. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    15 years later, and people are still coming up with new shit for these bikes. i'm grateful
    guglemonster, Benduro and Salzig like this.
  20. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    I actually started doodling up some designs similar to what you're saying. I was looking at using some existing filters and cages (one example being 2x DRZ400 filters as they are round and fit between the frame spars) but it has not progressed very far as I've not been able to come up with a baseplate that I actually like. I have similar gripes with the ITG filters, and on top of that, they keep disintegrating after a few washes. It seems to be because of the heat as I've tested different filter oils with no change. Just not much airflow between the tanks around the engine on the ADV, especially in the slower woods riding we have here in Indiana.

Very interested to see where this goes, as I'd more than likely want to buy one!
    alongat likes this.