New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Ok ordered.
    keener likes this.
  2. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Order placed here too, looking forward to it!
    keener likes this.
  3. seralat

seralat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got mine sitting in the garage, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to install it. So frustrating :~)
  4. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a few rides in the hot European summer the little storage is still in good shape. The black thing is a tube.

Also found out the carbs were out of balance. Hopefully this will cure the surge at low throttle opening.

IMG_20190902_195352.jpg
    keener, DirtyADV and alongat like this.
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Are your rubber diaphragms in good condition too? No cracks, etc?
    GezwindeSpoed likes this.
  6. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    Yes, i checked and cleaned them upon installation of your air filter. They had a lot of Algerian sand around.
    majle and alongat like this.
  7. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Finally had a chance to get out and put in a good ride. Mixed paved backroad, dirt, sand, wheelies and even a 100mph blast on the dirt. I got 30mpg. The 690 that was with me, got 55mpg for comparison. This was over 100 mile ride. Did another 125 miles that was much more dirt and deep sand and some interstate. Havent checked that mileage yet, next morning the battery was dead.
  8. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    For whatever it is worth, my jetting and mileage has been identical to the ITG filter I was running previously. Interestingly, the bike seems to run a hair cooler - the TrailTech gives me radiator temperature in degrees. My only guess is that the smaller form factor of the filter allows a bit more air to flow through the radiator and around the engine. Still heat soaks pretty bad if you go on a rip through the woods, park, and try to restart 10 minutes later, but that is the nature of the beast with these open intakes. Overall though, I am impressed so far. Will be testing dust ability this week at the KTM rally!
  9. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I noticed mine running cooler with this filer over the stock and I haven’t even done the lower temp fan switch yet.
    alongat likes this.
  10. GezwindeSpoed

Oddometer:
    When needing to stop at checkpoints during a rally in the sand dunes I left the power on by killing the engine (dumping the clutch) so the fans could continue blowing while no more heat is formed by the engine.

Have fun on the KTM rally!
  11. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed this on a 990 adventure converting from the stock system? There is a sensor (income air temp?) that will throw an error code when disconnected from the probe installed in the top of the stock airbox. A mount for the fuse box would need to be fabricated and the large electrical connector at the base of the snorkel would have be mounted somewhere. None of these are particularly difficult but I'm just curious if anyone has done it yet.

Edit: I read the installation instructions and now see that Alongat has already made an accommodation for the air temperature sensor. Brillant.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The 990 filter system has provision for the air temperature sensor - you simply bolt it into our baseplate instead of the top of the stock airbox. There will be no error codes, etc.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    And nothing changes with your fusebox and how that mounts...this system literally replaces your airbox but everything around it remains intact.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  14. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Got it! Air temp sensor in baseplate, snorkel goes away, fuse box still mounts in glove box lower section, saves 1 hour in valve adjustment as a bonus!

Ordered!
    keener likes this.