New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!
  2. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just placed my order and looking forward to swapping out that stock airbox, for the love of god that thing is annoying as shit. Been on the fence about this for quite some time but this thread has been really enlightening. MPG was my biggest issue, the absolute PITA the stock box is was secondary, but my last outing scratched that itch. My recent trip to Baja was momentarily interupted with carb touble, luckily I broke down pulling into an AutoZone in San Felipe. Don't get me wrong I love my 950, but when you take off all the fairing/tanks/seat/tank bag in a parking lot, it looks like a freakin yardsale! Long story short, fixed it and moved on and she ran like a champ the rest of the trip but that airbox has seen its last days.
    So thanks to all the folks that posted the info about jetting and tuning, it really answered a lot of questions I had about MPG and a starting point for the retuning I'm now looking at doing
    norton(kel) likes this.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your order and to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Once you see that accessing your carbs takes literally two minutes, you’re going to ask yourself why you tolerated the stock airbox for so long... :)
    bobnoxious67, Helibee and Boatman like this.
  4. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Opanos- what elevation are you at? I at about 1000ft where I am. And your carb tuning advice has been very helpful, thank you
  5. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, this jetting works like a charm up to 1000m of altitude. If you still have a 2-2 exhaust it is definitely going to be a good starting point, if not on the spot.
    crazybrit and alongat like this.
  6. achalatsis

achalatsis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've received and installed last week, and went of for 3 days of off-road riding in gravel, mud and sand. I'm happy with the results.

I do have one question though: There's no vertical support for the filter itself besides the posts. I've seen filters getting sucked and gone poof partially (read: hole) - is the filter element itself that robust to hold itself?
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    In short, yes. It is designed specifically to be self supporting.
    It’s made of three layers which not only provide increasing levels of filtration (from outside layer to innermost) but also the rigidity to support its shape and size in the same way the KTM rally bikes filters do).

By the way...that inner layer is also fire retardant designed specifically to mitigate any damage from flame-outs from throttle bodies or carbs. I know that flame outs are pretty rare but that was one of the things we wanted as a value-add when we spec’d the actual filter elements.
    braaap!, Xcelite, Dusty and 4 others like this.
  8. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on! thanks
  9. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Opanos, one last question-are you counting the second position on the needle from the flat top or the point?
  10. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am referring to the second notch from top, basically the same clip position that ktm uses from factory. Make sure that you don't forget the thin washer under the clip!
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget that our air filter system flows more than an equally oiled ITG filter system. We logged an AFR difference of nearly 12% more air on average when comparing the two systems.
  12. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did my first filter change, and replaced the sealing rings and knobs with the updated parts. About 2000 miles of off road on it. Really impressed with how well it did; in the same conditions with ITG I would have had a fine film of dust on the trumpets, which would always make it in either under the trumpets or under the bottom of the filter where it sealed against the plate. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. I will post a video with my thoughts soon, but I did notice that the rear cylinder trumpet bell hits the inside of the filter and had been rubbing. Didn't damage the filter or anything, but I trimmed the bell a bit to keep it from causing problems.

I had no issues with the filter collapsing into the intake trumpets, but there is not a lot of space between them and the filter, and you could see on the filter that airflow was focused through the area directly above the trumpet rather than using the whole filter area. I ended up shortening the trumpets by ~13mm to give myself a little extra headroom. Not enough miles on it to see if it has made much difference yet, but it makes me feel better. I don't think stock height trumpets are really a problem, just hoping to get a little more even dirt distribution across the filter. I do recommend trimming the bells if you see that yours are rubbing.

[​IMG]

The front (left) trumpet is finished. The rear is still only partially trimmed and is not shortened yet:
    [​IMG]

In the above picture, you can also see all the schmoo with dust stuck to it left over from the ITG filter and prefilter oil. The smaller form factor of Alon's setup is much better about leaving some extra space in there. Note that the rear trumpet in the picture above was trimmed because it was hitting the inside of the ITG filter, so that appears to be a common challenge with aftermarket intakes.

New filter with sock installed:
    [​IMG]
    alongat likes this.
  13. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks again.
  14. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    This was intended to be a quick review, but ended up longer than expected. Talking through the triple clamp intake at the first filter change, showing some of the key design features I've noticed, and making a few modifications to make it work a bit better.

Dusty, Jeremy K and alongat like this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    great and informative video - thank you!

a few things to note:
    1- you asked about the filter oil. Feel free to use your favourite filter oil cleaner; maxima, belray, motul, diesel fuel, etc. They will all work
    2- the previous foam sealing rings under the base plate were made from EPDM foam; we saw that they remained compressed partly and we didn’t like that. The update kits include new rings that are 100% silicone - they’re good for nearly 1000 degrees and will not remain compressed from heat or time like EPDM foam. You’re welcome to use them dry or with a bit of sealant or grease underneath
    3- yes, the newer bolts do include the spacers pressed into place under the thumb knob/screw - it is very important to replace your existing filter grommets with our new ones that are included in the update kit as they have a different diameter hole designed for the new bolts’ spacers.

We are thrilled to see you rocking your 950 as it’s intended and we have no plan of forgetting about these magnificent beats; we still ride and covet our 950s and 990s!!!
    You’ll have to pry them out of our cold dead hands
  16. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the info! Good to know on the new filter grommets; I did not replace mine so I will have to go in and update those.
    alongat likes this.
  17. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question about this filter: will it still allow to use the storage box that Rottweiler makes (think it's called the doghouse, or somthing like that)?
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes
  19. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, so I finally completed the new intake installation and I can't tell you how stoked I am about this! GearheadE30, your video was great so I'm going to skip the pics and go straight to the "appreciation" part of this post. Alongat, the build quality is totally on point with your new intake, love its simplicity all around and the extra filter is just a really cool thing to include. And I want to double up on what gearhead said about customer support. A lot of people make stuff and sell it, but it's how they take care of you on the back end that tells you what kind of company they are, Alongat and Amir, you guys are awesome! The other guy I want to thank is Opanos, dude, your setting suggestions are spot on, needle and float were already set to your specs so all I had to do was change the jets. Checking all that stuff was a good exercise for me though. I don't really feel like fine tuning a dam thing really unless my gas mileage falls in the crapper, but I don't see that happening given what you've said...Thanks to all the others as well, as I said before, this thread was key in my decision. Safe travels everyone
    keener, Mane and opanos like this.
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It’s posts like this that make every sleepless and stressful day worth it for us.

Thank you so much for the praise - we are ecstatic how happy everyone is.

I echo the big thanks to @opanos for his generosity in helping everyone in this community
    opanos likes this.