New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to giving this system a try on my 950 - just placed my order now. I had issues with a previous aftermarket air filter set up that, while making filter changes very easy, did not adequately filter the dust getting in to the carb causing the need for a premature top-end job at only 60,000 km.
    alongat likes this.
  2. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever changed just the diaphragm on the slide before. If so, any tips or suggestions would be great
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You mean the rubber diaphragm? Easy - 4 bolts to remove the end cap (don’t let the spring go flying and don’t lose the one spacer inserted into one of the bolt corners). Pull it straight out and replace the diaphragm. Be cautious of the needle’s washers and their order of assembly...
  5. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems he's asking about changing the rubber diaphragm only not, the whole slide. Not sure if it's pressed together or just a stretch fit.

My question is where can you purchase new diaphragm without the slide?
  6. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    According to the guy on the other end of the chat service at MotoSport.com, this part number
    (60031127000) is for just the diaphragm. I cross referenced with another parts company (parts fiche I believe) and they said the same thing. However, given that I can’t find any info on this topic, I’m beginning to doubt that. I went ahead and ordered that part number based on what I was told, parts will be here on Dec 9th. Looks like I’m the guinea pig this time! Lol....
    I’ll keep you guys posted

This is number for the cover/cap only 60031027000, they list both numbers in 2005 list but not 2006 and my 950 is an 06
    mountaincadre likes this.
  7. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Hmmm,,, I don't think you'll be getting a diaphragm. I think you'll be getting a diaphragm cover without the EPC nipple. I could be wrong. Keep us updated.
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    60031127000 is the new part number, #3 on the fiche but it's not shown on the diagram, I agree. I think it refers to the cover despite having diaphragm in the description.

You need 60031035000 VACUUM PISTON CPL.

I remember looking at the year of zx7 that supposedly used a similar carb and the price for the diaphragm was even more than from KTM for a non guaranteed fitment.

I replaced my carbs as I developed a bad engine vibration that continued after I swapped engines. I had the carbs apart 10 times and could find nothing wrong. Guy who sold me the carbs bought them to debug a similar issue, that iirc, ended up being fixed in his original carbs by replacing the diaphragm, so he sold the carbs onto me, and they fixed my vibration.

I should have bought a spare diaphragm when they were $50. Of course these parts are usually not remade by the manufacturer and are from 2004-2006 timeframe.

Anyways this is a tangent on this thread. Better to start a new thread.
  9. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree with both of you guys. I just went ahead and ordered the whole vacuum piston you mentioned, was hoping to save a few bucks but oh well...This thread was more active than the other I posted on, but I'll let it die here and update on a fresh thread. thanks fellas
    alongat likes this.
  10. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Alongat, could you please verify my setup...the bike is a 2008 990 Adv

I finally got the time to do the install (after almost two months of getting the kit), and before I button this thing up I would like to ask some questions..

1.After removing the airbox, I did reinstall of the TB Assembly. Is this gap ok or did I missing something?

[​IMG]

2.In the install instructions, regarding the air temperatue sensor, an o-ring is mentioned. Well... there is none on my bike. (Third owner here..don't know if it ever came with one). So I did use a small film of grease to help with the sealing. Do you think it will hold up?
    [​IMG]

3.I got the updated parts, thank you very much. I did put the white foamy gaskets below the plate. Is it there where it is suppose to be located? (I'm digging the blue anodise cage... :babe)

[​IMG]

And finally for those who are wonder if the Rotty Dog house will work with the Triple Clamp setup... here a shot of dry fitting the thing..

[​IMG]

That's it... if everything checks up, I'm finishing the reassembly tomorrow.

Regards,
    Mane
    Roeligan, LilYoda and Lav1200 like this.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    When you install the throttle body assembly onto your intake ports, make sure that the clamps are completely loose. You’ll notice that there is a small groove machined into your port’s neck and your connection rubber boots have a matching bump. Those align on the ports to make sure that everything is seated correctly.

I would not trust just the grease to seal your air temp sensor - use any rubber o ring or washer to seal it...even from one of those generic kitchen faucet repair kits you can get at Home Depot

Yes - the white silicone sponge o rings go underneath your base plate to seal it to your throttle bodies

Thanks for sharing the photo - we know the doghouse fits but a lot of people ask

Enjoy and let us know if you need anything else!
  12. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did 4 days in the desert on the SE the other week. 2400k's of sand dirt and a bit of bitumen.
    The filter worked flawlessly. Had the prefilter on, gave it a wash after day two, in the motel sink( I know, soft, a motel), let it dry out on the handle bars, back in in the morning. Quick and easy.
    Worked a treat.
    Make sure you let the prefilter dry out or it will suck the filter into the carbs.

Thanks Alon.
    keener and alongat like this.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Awesome - thank you!

I assume your bike was inside with you enjoying the comfort of the motel too... :)
  14. bigborett

Oddometer:
    No.
    She farts to much.:kat
    alongat likes this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Mwahahahaha haha!!!!

I just spat out my coffee reading that :)
    bigborett likes this.
  16. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Was a great ride.

20191115_132619.jpg 20191116_123732.jpg
    keener, opanos and alongat like this.
  17. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  18. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:

1. You will have a small gap under the rubber where the bottom of the old air box would have been sitting. Looks right.

2. Doubt grease will hold up for very long, mine the O-ring looked quite bad so added a little sealant on the air sensor also.

And can update that my snap out dog house holds up well still feel free to copy that solution if you want easy access to rear cylinder.

http://www.dirtyadv.com/cpr-snap-out-dog-house/

/Johan
    Mane likes this.
  19. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Johan.

I've since find a small o-ring that was perfect fit for the sensor, but I still apply an small coat of grease to be sure...

On the Dog House installation I would definitely would be copying your solution the next time I've to take it out. Clever solution.

Regards,
    Mane
  20. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alongat,

I did find a NEW o-ring that was an exact match for air sensor around the shop.. lucky me!

Now, any tips (pictures?) on how to properly route the the crankcase breather hose? I guess it could be easier to just cut it to length, but I rather not, in case I choose to go back to the OEM airbox someday.

Here's the my actual setup, still not properly secured.

[​IMG]

Any recommendations?

Regards,
    Mane