New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, who blew their motor :D
  2. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    lol I knew someone would say that.

No one blew their motor. I saw a local buddy's bike who was a bit lazy with the filter changes and since, I've been meaning to post something about it here. Keep calm and do your filter maintenance.
    alongat likes this.
  3. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's worse, the fact that I've been meaning to clean mine since October, or the fact that I haven't ridden that bike since then. :(
  4. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Keener, thanks for the heads up.

I've done about 2000km on mine, and the surface it's starting to look a bit dry, but on the inside is still pretty tacky. I wonder if it has to with the kind/brand of filter oil you guys are using.

Before installing the TripleClamp airfilter and did have a UNI prefilter that will hold its tackiness for a lot longer. The filter oil I was using on the prefilter was Bel Ray.

Do you thing it could be that or it's the engine induction the suck the oil from the airfilter faster??

Regards,
    Mane
  5. keener

Oddometer:
    The oil we use is very similar to Bel Ray. If outside is dry, it's time to change the filter. It doesn't mean you have no protection. The inside layera as you said is still oily. The filter is pretty thick at 14mm and with triple layers too. Each layer gets progressively finner in density. It's thicker than your average dirt bike filter and will last long too. It's pretty much the same as what KTM used on their rally bikes. There a lot of surface for filtration too. This means once it's become harder the pull in air from one area of the filter , air naturally is sucked in from the areas. That's loads of protection for your engine, more than the stock filter and pod filters, etc.

I didn't want to cause panic:) It's just a note that don't ride the whole season without replacing the filter! Pop the seat every once in a while and see if it's still looks and feels oily. Again it has never been easier to replace the air filter on 990/950 with this system.
    braaap! likes this.
  6. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, understood. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
    Mane
  7. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, so I've got a little riding time with the new set up and I'm noticing that acceleration seems a tad flat in 1st-3rd(in higher RPM), 4th-6th really seem to pull. I overlooked swapping out the Idle Air Jet to 70, any chance that might have anything to do with that?
  8. keener

Oddometer:
    Yes that could have an effect. Stock is 50 as far as I remember. It's easily accessible since it's on the top of the carb. Give it a try.
  9. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on, thanks Keener
  10. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Just installed my new Triplemoto air filter system yesterday. Won't have a chance to test it until the white stuff disappears, but I do have a question in the meantime. How tight should the two bolts be to hold the filter in place with adequate pressure to form a seal on the bottom? Is there a guideline around how much they should compress the foam on the bottom to ensure a dust-free seal without either damaging the foam or coming loose?
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The filter bolts have a “step” built in that protrudes through the filter grommets and bottoms out on the filter cage post itself. Make them nice and tight without going crazy and that’s it
    DirtyADV and braaap! like this.
  12. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Thanks - that worked well. Looking forward to road-testing this setup soon. The fit and quality of it is superb - well done!
    alongat and braaap! like this.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  14. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess you sent out the updated parts to all early buyers.

Have yet to install the filter on one poor 990 that was never even started last summer cause of to much other stuff going on in life right now.

/Johan
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    All filter kit updates were shipped to all buyers. If anyone here did NOT receive their update kit months ago then please contact us at info@tripleclampmoto.com
    bigborett and DirtyADV like this.
  16. michel3vb

michel3vb Adventurer

Oddometer: