New 950/990 air filtration system development

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was one of the early adopters of the Rotti filter system. Those of us that got the composite base plate that failed were the early Beta testers. Of course Rottweiler took care of all of us and sent us new base plates. I too appreciate all the companies and business owners that are supporting our bikes still. The Rotti set up works, but the black filter drives me nuts and the foam breaks down way too quickly on a $100 filter. I have all the other same concerns too--the base plate to carb seals, the inability to remove the filter from the cage, etc. I have had conversations with Chris at Rottweiler and at one point re-designing the filter element to address the foam color and to add a removable cage was on his list of things to do. He told me that Uni Filter was right down the street from him at that time.

Looking forward to seeing what TCM comes up with. Again, I echo the others who are grateful for those still coming up with new solutions for our non-current bikes. Really cool.
    Helibee, DirtyADV, braaap! and 2 others like this.
  2. Olmatey

Olmatey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How dare you come up with new improvements for these awesome older bikes!! When do you think this will be available? I have the head2 wind prefilter kit and happy with it, but have always been interested in this open airfilter setup but didnt like the filter attached to the cage setup.
    guglemonster and alongat like this.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    LOL - we like to shake things up :)

Real world testing in March and early April production.
    braaap! and DirtyADV like this.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Any teaser images / render @alongat ?

I'll happliy sign the NDA :)
    alongat likes this.
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Hahaha - soon. Very soon
  6. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Thumb!

Bet you and the TCM Team are itching to wheel a 790R into the garage... :rilla
    alongat likes this.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    That’s also in progress...I’ll have my dirty little fingers on one in two weeks but my heart still belongs to the 950/990 :)
    guglemonster, gearheadE30 and Olmatey like this.
  8. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I only have one of the stock paper filters left in my box of spares, its about time I upgraded to a better system and remove the air box.

I'll be watching
    alongat likes this.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You won’t need another paper one :)
    LC8TY likes this.
  10. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Yeah but when she walks in and shakes that tight little ass... in those clingy little yoga pants shorts... bet everyone will need a little quiet 'me time' in the garage.

Waht old wrinkly 950 / 990... :)
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I’ve had some “intimate moments” with her already. I’m not a huge fan of the material quality and some design choices but I doubt highly that she will disappoint.
  12. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Still running the OEM paper because as Alon can attest to, we encounter a bit of water around here.

Interested to see what you come up with.

:lurk

And as far as the internet troll...water off a ducks back my friend! Keep up the good work!
    alongat and Boatman like this.
  13. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Waiting to see what you come up with. Not a fan of boxless foam air filters. Other than being a pita to remove, the stock setup works well. I've forded water on my 640 probably deep enough to swamp a 990 with a foam only filter. Rare, but it happens.
    alongat likes this.
  14. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need any beta testers in the northeast?
    alongat likes this.
  15. emmodg

emmodg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in this as well... The ITG-based systems can EASILY be made by the DIY'r. Pegasus Racing has blank base plates, quick release screw-down, and filter. Many online hardware stores like McMaster Carr have the exact o- or "x-" rings. It aint rocket science. Not real sure why one of the previous posters is so angry/frustrated about people inquiring into possible demand for a product idea. He must hate kickstarter!
    alongat likes this.
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Point is - this ain’t a kickstarter. We don’t ask anyone IF they’ll buy it and we don’t ask anyone to invest in OUR business. Like I’ve said, I’ll sink or swim with our design and products - either people want them or they don’t. We do our best to incorporate everyone’s input and devise commercially viable solutions. Haters will always hate.
  17. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off topic a bit but someplace on the web I saw a guy that made his own plates that used a car filter from napa. Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
  18. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Never saw that but I fabricated something similar a few years ago. Wasn't happy and scrapped it before even taking pics.
    nk14zp likes this.
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I looked at a few options before deciding on the final approach: car based filter pods including those mushroom shaped HKS ones...I didn’t like the idea of any pod type clamping onto the carb or FI throttle bodies; felt too risky to me as I don’t like any design that ends up as a pendulum of weight on a clamped end, I didn’t like the lack of heat / splash isolation of pods and I didn’t like not having direct control of the foam elements either. This is a ground up solution, nothing “off the shelf” met our no-compromise filtration objectives.
    2 SPOT and Dusty like this.
  20. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm only getting more interested every time I come back to this thread. Not that I need more power or have a desire to re-jet my 950. But I love innovation and I love tinkering even more.
    alongat likes this.