New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.
  2. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    I got mine from Revzilla today and wore it out for an hour ride. I haven't had a street oriented helmet in about a decade, so I wasn't used to having a face shield. That and the fact that it was 90 degrees out made me wish it had more ventilation. Other than that, I quite like it. The fit is very similar to the Scorpion VX-17 helmet I've been wearing for years. Although it felt really tight at first, that went away after a few minutes.

I will say I was impressed with the "roost guard" (or sun visor/whatever you want to call it). One of the reasons I wanted this helmet was after using my VX-17 to tour on, the roost deflector on that catches a lot of wind and I end up riding long days with my head tilted down. The AT950 is made to be used without it, but I didn't even notice it at all when riding today.
  3. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I may be getting one of these for my birthday - thanks for the report!

You mentioned twice now that the Bell helmet peak is not adjustable.
    One small item that most people miss with the Bell MX-9 helmet, the peak is adjustable for 2 positions.
    If you remove the top center screw and tip it forward, there's a plastic plug you remove to access the forward position.
    The plug can then be used to hide the rearward threaded insert.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  4. elcabong

Oddometer:
    I received my Scorpion AT950 from Revzilla. A Swiss Army knife of a helmet. Here's a quick review after 150+ mile ride. For comparison purposes, I have a Shoei Hornet DS and ride a F700GS with a Madstad windshield. Although I think the OP (Yeti's) review is spot on, I'm adding my own observations and experience.

Fit:
    I wear a size small in the Shoei. Had to move up to a size medium in the Scorpion. Not as snug as I would like but not as tight and confined as Scorpion's size small. I can now wear a skull cap under this lid. I'll wait for break-in before possibly changing to a different size head liner and cheek pads. It took over a month for the Shoei to break-in (along with the help of a spoon and a golf ball).

Putting on and removing the Shoei was a killer on the ears. Scorpion is a breeze.

Quality:
    When compared to the Shoei, not as solid but that's what you get between a premium and mid-range helmet. Still, the Scorpion has more features and benefits like the modular chin bar and drop down sun visor and speaker cut outs.

Noise Reduction:
    Comparable to the Shoei. But the Shoei isn't a very quiet helmet to begin with. That's why I wear no-noise earplugs. Standing up on the pegs at 60+ mph (over the windshield) produced a slight whistling sound from the peak from the Scorpion - but who rides standing up at 60+ on the slab anyway?

Ventilation / Airflow:
    I would say much better than the Shoei even though it has three forward vents verses the Scorpion's one (but very large). Nice. The chin bar vent flows more air as well.

Weight:
    I put it on a postal scale. The medium size AT-950 with a Cardo Scala Q3 with speakers weighs in at 4 lbs. 2 oz. Shoei wins at 3 lbs. 8 oz. but I'll take the added weight for the modular style and drop down sun visor.

Aerodynamics:
    As noted I have a Madstad windshield on my ride. It's adjusted nearly perfect. I can ride without eye protection and get no tears in the eyes. That said, highway test rides of 60, 70, 80 and 90 mph experienced a little helmet buffeting, no peak lift or dive from side-to-side lane checks. Comparable to the Shoei Hornet.
    On a separate ride I removed the peak and installed the side plates. Similar speed tests yielded a little smoother ride but not by much. I was pleasantly surprised how well the Engineers at Scorpion designed the peak.

Field of View:
    Hands down the Scorpion wins in the field-of-view category.

The face shield optics is another story. The Shoei's optics are spot on whereas the Scorpions optics were not in the very upper sections. Vision was a little blurry or askew. This may because their face shield isn't flat rather rounder or bulbous. It could also be symptoms from their "EverClear" anti-fog system.

Comfort on long rides:
    TBD on the Scorpion. I rode 150+ miles through the mountains and ended in 90 degree temperatures. 2/3 of the way I wanted to rip the helmet off. I contribute this to the breaking in period. Fuel stops were a delight with the Scorpion. Just flip up the chin bar, get some fresh air, swig some water and filler up. It was always uncomfortable with the Shoei especially in hot weather.

Communication Unit Installation:
    I installed a Cardo Scala Rider Q3. installation included the clamp mount, boom mike and speakers. The speaker cutouts were perfect and a very nice feature. A very easy 15 minutes. I had to remove some foam on the Shoei because there were no cutouts thus voiding the warranty.

Storage:
    For those who own BMW Vario luggage for the F6, F7 and F800GS platforms, the medium size Scorpion barely fits in the right side case when extended out. Barely. The Scorpion's shape is longer front to back while the Shoei is more round.

Conclusion:
    For the price and the feature set you get, it can't be beat if you're looking for a modular adventure helmet in the mid range price point. Scorpion will no doubt make its presence known in the Adventure Touring market with this new model. I think the Neocon paint jobs will look even better.
    joho5978 likes this.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is this helmet made of?
    For under $300 I'm assuming its moulded plastic. Please confirm.
  6. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Polycarbonate.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I suspected as much. It seems heavy for a plastic helmet.
  8. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about using goggles with the helmet? That's actually a two part question, because I also want to know if you can use goggles without removing the face shield.

I'm a dirt rider mostly, so for me a DS helmet MUST allow easy use of goggles without requiring that I remove the shield and stow it away.
  9. samhain

samhain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only a DOT safety rating...I'll pass.
    Battmo likes this.
  10. elcabong

Oddometer:
    I don't believe you can use goggles and the face shield at the same time with this Scorpion helmet. It's one or the other. On the other hand, I know that my Shoei Hornet can use both at the same time.
  11. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider

Oddometer:
    Not many (if any) Modular Helmets with a SNELL sticker. I think it is more to do with their testing style than actual safety.
    Heepspo, Hittman and elcabong like this.
  12. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I was able to wear goggles with the shield in place. Admittedly, I didn't ride with them but they fit fine and I don't see why you couldn't.

Snell won't certify modular helmets or helmets with internal sunvisors.
    Heepspo and SloDon like this.
  13. Aethyc

Aethyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, thanks for the reviews !
    Asked Scorpion France about it, it will be available in Europe around December and named ADX-1.
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to see this helmet without the extra weight, complexity and cost of the internal visor that I would never use.

I also stopped fretting about Snell certification back in 2005 with the "Blowing the Lid Off" article that apparently got Dexter Ford fired from Motorcyclist by the worst motorcycle mag editor of all time. I still have a couple of qualms about modular helmets. But I am perfectly OK with a DOT or EU approved helmet.

That full article and Snell response are all but impossible to find on the Motorcyclist web site but are still here: http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

It is a lengthy pdf so wireless device users consider yourselves forewarned before clicking. If you are unfamiliar with that old gem from a decade ago it is worth a read.
  15. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Interesting article, I vaguely recall reading it but had never seen the Snell response.
    I find the response letter more disturbing than the article, and reinforces my misgivings about the Snell methodology; specifically double impact at same shell location which translates to increased rigidity that flies in the face of trying to decrease G forces from impacts.

Remember how automobiles used to survive collisions relatively intact?
    This unfortunately turned the occupants into scrambled eggs.
    Crumple zones, and similar energy dissipating designs have greatly improved occupant survivability.
    Seems logical the same physics should be involved with helmet design.

The improvements in helmet manufacturing and materials comparing 1995 to 2005 is comforting.
    It would be terrific to assume linear improvements from 2005 until now, but I doubt that is the reality.
    Even so, I would expect a healthy percentage increase.
  16. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I own 4 Scorpion helmets between us, and the fit is just about as good as it can get. However, I won't buy another one of theirs until they either solve or eliminate the anti-fog coating on the insides of the shields. One cleaning each with warm soapy water and soft cotton to dry rendered useless both of the clear shields on our newest helmets. Same with a $50 tinted shield that I bought for mine. I'm planning to get some plastic polish and a wheel for the grinder and have at it to see if the coating can be successfully removed.
  17. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I was in the same boat as you and face shields are expensive.

Now the way I clean it is to remove the shield from the helmet and run it under warm water. I then rub the surface with my hand (mostly fingers) while the water is running, I can feel when any drag on my hand has stopped and this means any dirt is gone. This is works well on the inside of the shield whereas I've found that using any sort of cloth results in an opaque screen with many stars in it from lights.

For the outside I just clean like I always have, some sort of cloth and then normally warm water. If I already have the shield off for cleaning the inside then I do it all with my bare hands.

Once I have the shield cleaned I dry the outside with a soft cloth (if I have one handy) but leave the inside to air dry. If you rinse with warm water it normally dries with no, or at least no obvious, water spots.

I've had dealers tell me using microfiber works fine but it never has for me on Scorpion helmets. I was ready to ditch my T1200 and look for something else but after going with the above method for cleaning and having success I ended up buying another Scorpion and am happy with them both.

If you have rough and gnarly hands then this may not work well for you.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  18. CowboyRR

CowboyRR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on Scorpion helmets 3 & 4. Been wearing Scorpions them since around 07 and the 950 is probably next. Never had a problem with scratching the shields until I stopped using the Honda/Motorcycle Stuff Spray Polish with a terrycloth towel. Replaced 2 scratched up shields and have gone back to the polish and clean terrycloth and had 0 scratches so far. Pretty sure that microfiber towels were the real culprit in my case. The polish is awesome stuff imo.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    It's about freakin' time someone made a helmet like this. I will buy.

God forbid that a downed rider need CPR but if they do when we are around, modular and open face wearers will get if from us.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

Thanks !! I've been looking for that for a LONG time.