New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. smoker2

smoker2 Founding member Flying Pig Assn.

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Revzilla where I purchased this helmet. This is my second try with a modular, the last one a HJC Symax which I hated, so much so I went back to a ff for the last 3 years. I switched over my Sena before the ride home which was around 80 miles, and I could hear my music and my wife with no trouble, but it is slightly louder than my ff. I only have the Symax to compare it to but the Scorpion is much more quiet than the HJC. I wear eyeglasses and having the sun shade and being able to put the helmet on without taking my glasses off is wonderful. I felt about 5% more buffeting, riding a S10 with a Givi airflow. With the ff I have almost no buffeting. I can handle that. Looking forward to getting some miles with this helmet.
    Y E T I likes this.
  2. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the fit for scorpion vs shoei? I have a neotec now and am thinking of getting one of these helmets as I love the modular form factor so much.

Reports seem to say that since I am wear a large shoei I should also be able to comfortably wear a large scorpion as well, they are close in shape.

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!
    Mike
  3. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I wear an XL in Shoei and the XL Scorpion fit me fine, it was just a wee bit tight front to back. My friend (who currently has the helmet), wears an XL in Bell and the XL fits him like a glove. Someone earlier here wrote that they wear a Small Shoei but had to move to a Medium in the Scorpion.
  4. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to order the large, I wear a large neotech. Since I like the graphic colors I guess I will preorder it

Mike
  5. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I love the idea, like the Caberg Tourmax but the visor/peak looks way too high/short to be good for much of anything. A good peak is long enough that a slight downward tilt of the helmet will cover the sun low on the horizon....am I wrong in thinking it's all wrong on this lid? Would love to be wrong, btw.
  6. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear a size small in the Shoei Hornet DS but had to size up to a medium. Without going into a lot of detail I would say that you'll be fine with similar sizing between the Shoei and the Scorpion. Also, ScorpionUSA has been great to work with in helping me with the fit.

Yesterday I rode 130 miles in the heat and felt fine (well not that fine because it was too darn hot to ride). I used a skull cap to help wick the sweat away but that turned out to be a bad idea. Too much redundancy and insulation.
  7. elcabong

Oddometer:
    You are not wrong in that particular scenario. The peak sits high on both the Shoei and Scorpion. The peak does its job when the sun is around the 10 o'clock position with your helmet tilted slightly down. I don't think any peak works very well when the sun is at the 9 o'clock position.
    MoodyGS likes this.
  8. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    The Bilt Explorer I'm wearing has a great peak...only takes a minimal nod to cover the sun at its lowest. It's low like a good offroad helmet:

[​IMG]

For a modest priced helmet, it's really an outstanding DS lid (internal visor, too), but is not modular and there are times that would be a nice feature.

I was hoping the Scorpion might best it in features, but it seems to be a draw.
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I disagree that the peak is too high on the Shoei. At least it isn't on the Hornet X2. On the original Hornet the peak/visor was as useless as tits on a boar.

For the Scorpion, I agree it is pretty high, but it's also fairly long. I thought it did an ok job. Also, part of why it is as high as it is is to accommodate the chin bar when it comes up, there has to be room under the visor for the chin bar to fit.
    Battmo likes this.
  10. elcabong

Oddometer:
    I have the original Hornet so that is what I am comparing it with. The Hornet II's peak does look longer. As far as the length of the peak on the Scorpion, it might be tad longer but it is more tapered in the end than the Shoei. Still it's better than no peak at all.

Good point on the Scorpion's peak being higher to accommodate the chin bar.
  11. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Not a bad looking lid! You'll need to try on the Scorpion to be sure if the peak angles and lengths are the same as the Bilt.
  12. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a shipping notification for my AT950 neocon, should be here Friday. At least acording to reveille, who is awesome generally, everything shows up quick from them.

I wasn't expecting it to even be available till later in the month. Will wear it around the house and see if I like it.

Mike
  13. PAfromQC

PAfromQC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Did you finally pick this helmet as your shoei hornet ds replacement? The reason i'm asking is that i also have a hornet ds of first generation and would like a replacement at decent price, im a medium size head shoei style ( i dont fit well in a arai xd helmet, guess your'e either a shoei or arai head, not both) Anyway if you did went with it, how is the fit compare to shoei and did you get same size than you hornet?

Thanks

Pierre

Just realised while reading the whole thread you did go for it...lol...anyway if you have anything else to share please do so..thanks
  14. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Hi Pierre,

The only thing I can say is to keep your perspective on the quality of the two helmets if you buy a Scorpion. Your (our) Shoei Hornet DS was one of the top of the line helmets in the dual sport category and I think the build quality and materials are excellent. The Scorpion being a mid-price helmet is different however by no means sub-standard in anyway. Perhaps the Qwik-wick II system is a better liner because of newer technology but the shell materials and overall weight will be different and noticeable on long rides. The Shoei is much lighter but it is a full face helmet compared to the Scorpion which is a modular. To tell you the truth, I'm still on the fence on which one will be my primary helmet. I think I'll let the weather temperatures dictate which helmet I will be wearing on my rides. I like them both.
  15. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
  16. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
  17. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is scheduled for delivery today. I'll post my opinions once I've tried it.

"The Scorpion "EverClear" treatment means that the face shield is anti-fog and anti-scratch coated and the anti-fog coating does seem to work pretty well."

Did I read somewhere that the anti-fog coating requires special care?
  18. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Congrats on a great buy.

Below is the info from their Website / FAQ

// Cleaning the Face Shield
    The ScorpionExo® face shields have different cleaning procedures for inside and outside. The outside is coated with an anti-scratch coating which prevents minor scratches, but cannot resist heavy wiping and cleaning without preliminary softening of the dirt, grime and bugs first. Note the damp towel method of softening dried bugs and dirt above. Plastic polishes work fine (clear and smoke shields only) to clean the outside of the shield as long as the dirt and grime has been softened and removed first. The inner Everclear® no-fog coated face shields required special treatment for cleaning. We suggest using a warm water and mild soap combination followed by "pat drying" with a dry towel. "Wiping" may cause premature wear and scratching on the Everclear® innercoating. Mirrored shields should use warm water only.

Since it's easy to remove the face shield, I just soak the whole thing in the sink and let the grime and bugs soften then do their recommended procedures.

I wish Scorpion would make a flat shield with better optics (without EverClear) and perhaps Pinlock but it's just my opinion. I think the majority sees the value of EverClear.
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    A Pinlock shield is in the works and should be out soon(ish). That will be a great addition to this helmet.
    elcabong likes this.
  20. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I got my helmet today. I wear a large neotec, so ordered a large scorpion. Unfortunately, I ordered it prior to the webbikeworld review, which said it was narrow, and guess what, it is. Gave me a headache after ten minutes, so back it goes.

Sucks worse is that it is very nice, I liked it. I need an tra large, but of course everyone is out of stock on the hi viz yellow one I want.

Guess I will have to wait.....

Mike