New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Chris-KH2PM

Chris-KH2PM Kawasaki Versys 1000 & KLX650

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with a Sena 10S for three years, almost 20K miles on mine. Fitment is great, as it has never come loose and the boom mic works great. When I'm making a phone call, they can never tell I'm on the motorcycle at speed when I have the faceshield down.

I can't compare it to other brands regarding the audio quality when listening to music, as I have never used any other device besides the 10S. I typically ride with ear plugs in. I use lower density foam ear plugs that don't totally block all sound. To me the audio quality is much better with the ear plugs in as they dampen the 'highs' and enhance the mid-range and bass, and eliminate all wind noise. The speakers handle being turned up louder to compensate for ear plugs without distorting. When I ride without ear plugs, the audio quality is not so great from music because of the wind noise and the highs being overwhelming.
    I have mine installed so the speakers are just touching my ears, as close as possible without being uncomfortable on long rides or making it difficult to get the helmet on and off. Having the speakers just an inch away initially didn't work, they have to be right up near your ears to get the best audio quality. The closer the better.

Regarding wet riding, I haven't had any long wet rides, but I have been caught in the rain a couple times. Sena does have waterproof rubber seals in the connection between the mount and the removable control head. I did a quick search and found several compliments to the SMH-10 and 10S being well doused in rainstorms and functioning perfectly. It is technically 'water resistant' but not 'waterproof' so it is designed to work in rain storms but not meant to be submerged. Again, I found many reports of it being an excellent device on rain-soaked rides (Sena's in general).

The 10S that I have supports 2 (two) BlueTooth audio deices (such as a phone, and GPS directions), as well as an FM radio receiver. The audio can be shared and works while in intercom mode. Also there is a free APP for easy setup and changes via your phone over BlueTooth. That's good because tying to set one of these up or make changes using just the buttons and knob is very difficult.

I highly recommend the Sena 10S. I did have the SMH-10 for a short time but I wanted to have FM radio reception capability. I can say that the FM receiver works great and sounds really good as well. I typically ride with two others and they both have SMH-10 units. We are able to communicate for hours on a full charge, and can talk for long distances 'line of sight', meaning if you can see each other, you can communicate fine. Once you lose sight around a bend or over a hill the audio starts to break up, but once you see each other again, it comes back without having to reset or re-pair the units.

I hope my review helps you and others with their decision. Yes, I'm very happy with my Sena 10S! https://www.sena.com/product/10s
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. Fatguyinalittlecoat

Fatguyinalittlecoat Tommy Constantino

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what current or older goggles fit this helmet? Sorry if this has been answered before.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked into this question about a month ago and everyone was showing all goggles fitting. 100%, Oakley, Scott. It seems like with the visor up you shouldn’t have a problem.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a challenge finding goggles that fit. :dirtdog
    With the shield removed of course.
    I took my helmet to the various shops locally and no one had goggles that fit my small size AT 950.
    I ordered kids Scott goggles on Amazon and they fit okay.
    Not great, but workable.
    Could just be the small shell size but I suggest trying your local shops so that you can try them on.
  5. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had no problem fitting Thor and Ariete googles
  6. domcintosh

domcintosh ***erately Skilled

Oddometer:
    This would be easier to answer if you provided your shell size.
  7. Fatguyinalittlecoat

Fatguyinalittlecoat Tommy Constantino

Oddometer:

Good point - looking for the medium/large shell.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Checking back a year and half in.

The orange has sun faded about a half shade lighter from near daily use and we picked up a few small scratches from normal use but other than that nothing is worn or wearing. Face shield clicks and drop down sun visor work like new ( they get used A LOT ) and the latching and chin bar hinges are still rock solid. I'd buy this helmet again.
    JoToPe, YellerDog and JagLite like this.
  9. domcintosh

domcintosh ***erately Skilled

Oddometer:
    Yup. I've had similar color issues, though it's worse on one half due to hanging from the side of the motorcycle.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man, great setup!

Im curious, when you want to put the OEM plastic piece back, do you have to peel off the goPro mount?
  11. van the man

van the man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this helmet and love it. I used tape across the sun shield, works great!

Attached Files:

JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    Hey EM,
    Does it make any squeaking noises now that’s it’s got some age and use? My Caberg Tourmax is a lot like the 950, but it’s started being a bit on the squeaky side lately.
  13. tpappas

tpappas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a problem with the silver pins becoming loose as seen in the picture?

upload_2019-4-28_23-13-2.png
  14. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    I just bought one of these off the shelf from a dealer. It wasn’t in a box but they gave me a helmet bag for it. Are the side covers for the visor under the peak when you remove it or are they separate parts that should have been included? If they are separate is there anything else in the box that I am likely missing?
  15. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The side covers and chin curtain were in the box with mine...along with a helmet bag.
    JagLite, Eatmore Mudd and 2whl-hoop like this.
  16. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    Ok thanks! I guess I will be going back to the shop :bluduh
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Nope, no squeaks.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Nope. Are yours loose ? I think the steel pins are threaded into the polymer of the helmet. If they are and you decide to use Lock Tite, do not use the regular stuff !! Use Lock Tite for plastic instead. The regular stuff makes polymers deteriorate and crumble.
    CharlieInStLouis and JagLite like this.
  19. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using a Pinlock? I've never run one and curious if one is available for the 950 and it's benefits.
  20. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in the UK the 950 comes with a pin lock as standard. I wouldn't buy a helmet without one, no misting up, doesn't affect vision even at night. Only thing to be careful of is cleaning, the pin lock has a very soft surface and is really easy to scratch.