New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't believe they sold this helmet without a Pinlock. I tried riding for a week while waiting for the Pinlock to be shipped and found I had to ride most of the time with the visor cracked about half an inch. YMMV on how much you exhale (and it was late fall), but I don't recall another helmet I've had being that poorly vented in front. It has seemed perfectly fine with the Pinlock in though.
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I bought the optional extra dual pane visor from Scorpion. No set up or fussing and they don't leak or fog between the panes.
  3. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your experience with the dual pane face shield has been good? There are only a couple of reviews on Revzilla but both say the shield will fog.

I know goggles have been discussed in this thread but can anyone recommend a google that will definitely fit well in my size medium? I'm leaving for the TAT pretty soon and will be riding with a buddy. I think it would be prudent to have goggles to deal with the dust when I'm riding in the rear.

I'll have to have a prescription made, hence my need to buy something that will definitely fit. I don't have a lot of time to waste.

TIA.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took my helmet with me to wear when shopping for goggles.
    I still didn't find any that fit really well after hitting all 4 dealers and trying everything they had on hand.
    I would not recommend ordering any online.
    I don't remember what I bought but it is one of the big name brands and it fits okay, but is just a bit large to fit well in the available space of my size medium helmet.
  5. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    I know it's been mentioned in the thread that goggles can be worn with the visor flipped up. But is that what most of you are doing? Or are you removing the visor?

I'm taking this helmet cross country on the TAT and I can't see going the whole way with no visor. If it's removed, it'll be next to impossible to pack on the bike.

I just tried a new pair of OTG goggles with the visor up and it pretty much eliminates the utility of having a flip-up helmet. Not sure what direction to go from here.

At the very least, I think quick straps are a necessity. But I'm not sure if they will play well with the hinge mechanism?
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I "can" use my goggles with the visor on and raised but the visor holds the strap out just enough that the goggles don't seal against my face on the sides. :dirtdog

I agree that a helmet should be designed to allow goggles to be used without removing the shield.
    I think there are a couple modular adv helmets that are made that way, but they are the very expensive models so out of my budget. :yikes :2cry

I use my shield when riding off road without problem except in dusty conditions where goggles are the only way to go.
    But if you are following other bikes in any dust you will probably want goggles.

I agree that packing the shield is a challenge but mine fits in the bag that came with the helmet in my tank bag.
    I keep the peak in the tank bag too but it really does nothing other than look cool, it is way too high to do any sun blocking.

Still, this is the nicest helmet I've ever owned even with the weak points. :beer
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of cheap goggles with a branded strap from my dealership... I believe they're these:
    https://eksbrand.com/collections/ek...flat-out-mirror-goggle?variant=14023725383746

They fit well enough on my size small - not perfect, but they seal good enough. I leave the shield on, and I'm able to even close it with the goggles on.

I also disagree about the sun visor - I find myself dipping my head a lot and using it to shade a dusty face shield.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the Scotts on my trip to Utah and kept the visor on the whole time. When taking the helmet off I just put the goggles on the chin bar and raise the whole thing at one time.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone with a long-oval noggin (i.e. Arai Profile or Signet wearers) tried this helmet?
  10. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    My guess would be this helmet wouldn't for you very well. I'm an average intermediate oval and fit well in into HJC, Suomy... But the AT950 puts some pressure on my forehead after a long day.
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  11. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I figured I was dreaming that it might work. The only flip-up I've tried that is a true L-O is the LS-2, which fits well but is too loud for me even though I always wear plugs.
  12. sayounara

sayounara n00b

Oddometer:
    58318582386__B57961B0-50E8-451F-B100-74ED9831EC31.jpeg
    You can see the circular helmet molding tidbit just below the chin vents. This was raised up tall enough to require shaving down. I found a sharp curved knife to work best.

58318896961__3132F0C8-67B5-4BAB-9F98-F3970785420B.jpeg

G0022476.JPG

@Nonja thank you quite a bit for posting this photo set and making mention of this! I took your images and a screwdriver and a couple minutes of clean up had a chin mounted GoPro on my Scorpion AT-950 helmet! Up until this thread, it did not seem like there would ever be an option to mount a GoPro to the AT-950.
    Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  13. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    I have a Sena 30K I'm going to install on my AT950. This is my first communicator and obviously, the first time I'm installing one on this helmet.

If there's anything specific that would be helpful to know regarding fitting the 30K to the AT950 before I get started, please chime in :)

TIA!
  14. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a 20S EVO and the install was pretty strait forward. I didn't run in to any issues. It looks like the 30K's mount is similar.

Chris

15. hondamxracer

hondamxracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have an AFX-FX41DS helmet is size large (62-63) that fits perfect. The XL for this helmet ranges from 61-62 and XXL is 62-63. Based on how this helmet fits, would you go with the XL or XXL? I've heard the check pads for this helmet can be tight for some.
  16. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yup, good.
    I don't know what conditions those reviewers were riding in or what they were expecting. Any dual pane visor or pinlock can be made to fog or frost if you shut down all the air flow and do the mouth breath thing. Maybe those folks might want to crack a vent or look into the optional breath box.

Anywho, yah I'm still wearing the helmet no complaints and it's holding up fine.
  17. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will CX950 and AT950 parts interchange? Ie face shield and drop down shade.
  18. sae72

sae72 n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't agree w/ the above poster. I wear an Arai Signet-Q on the track, and it fits me exceptionally well. That's their "long oval" fit they offer.

I just picked this up in my size (some people cheat and oversize to get the wrong shape to fit), and it fits decently well. I don't have pressure points anywhere, however there's a little gap at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position, if you were looking at my face. Overall though, it's tolerable and better fitting than most intermediate ovals I've tried on.

Revzilla's review noted that this was on the longer side of intermediate oval as well, which is what prompted me to try, I agree with that assessment.
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  19. HeliMark

HeliMark Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a long oval head, and tried this helmet. Had the pressure point on the forehead, which I might have been able to correct, but the bottom of the helmet is round enough that it allows a lot of air on the side of my head. My ears were getting a fair amount of air from the slipstream.
  20. sae72

sae72 n00b

Oddometer:
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe you need to eat more cheeseburgers? :)

We can anecdote all day; either way, it's worth trying.