New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Huladog

Huladog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ran into the same problem with the aching jaw. Motorcyclegear.com has replacement cheek pads, too.
  2. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what Scorpion's current policy is, but when I bought my AT-950 a few years ago I called them to ask about the availability of different size cheek pads and they sent me some free of charge. I was planning to buy them and wanted to know how to get them, but they offered them for free so I went with that option. The moral of the story is...I'd check with Scorpion directly before I would order them from a third party.
  3. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    11/30/19 Update.

Scorpion decided to replace the helmet under warranty.

The replacement helmet just arrived via FedEx, my only cost was the shipping of the original helmet back to Scorpion.

I'm typing this post in the replacement helmet. :-)

As discussed by others, Scorpion's record of exemplary customer service continues.

Thanks for reading.

Mike
    TonyKZ1, zachd, Dan Diego and 2 others like this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap
    yosso likes this.
  5. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Great to hear. :rayof
    I've had Scorpion's before and truly love their products. AND,
    my next lid will be the AT950.
    Merry Christmas everyone. G.
    Eatmore Mudd and yosso like this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Two and half years in and I'm still liking this helmet. That's never happened before.
    TonyKZ1, Tundra Tom and JagLite like this.
  7. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Same here! I need to pull and wash the filthy stinking liner again after some excellent riding on the T.W.A.T. This summer. https://photos.app.goo.gl/z5sbGfRmpvkG2XL4A
    Eatmore Mudd and yosso like this.
  8. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read through this whole thread and I plan on getting one. I've been an XL in Shoei RF1000, RF1100, Arai Signet GT, among many others but couldn't even get the XL on at the local dealership. Tried an XXL and it fit great. Going to get this one
    [​IMG]
  9. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I really want to like the Scorpion, and I was considering one of those (in that color too!), but they just don't fit my head. When I slipped on the Large in store this weekend, Everything felt perfect except that stupid spot on my forehead. :baldy Every Scorpion helmet I've tried gives me that same problem. I suppose I could mash the EPS foam down a little there, but that just seems wrong to me. I would really like a modular ADV helmet, but this one doesn't fit, and the Schuberth is just too much $$ for my tastes :becca
    Heepspo, JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Proper fit is the most important thing.
    Some heads just don't fit in some helmets.
    Some brands use different shapes so I hope you can find a brand that fits excellent.
    Heepspo and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've "slightly adjusted" a couple helmets through the years by mashing down the EPS just a little and they ended up being some of the best fitting helmets I've ever had. As long as you're not cutting it out or significantly compressing it, it'll be fine.
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    By chance anyone know of lab testing done on helmets where they have had the EPS partially crushed or removed? I'd be curious if the protective qualities deteriorate in a linear relation...
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally put a few hundred miles on my new AT950 over my Christmas vacation. Overall, it isn't quite as comfortable as my old dirt cheap Fox Trekker. Primarily because it is a little on the heavy side. Not gruesomely heavy, but enough for me to notice compared to my last couple of helmets.

But it sure works a hell of a lot better. Between the modular front and the fighter pilot drop down shade, this is a hell of a lot of helmet. Especially compared to the remarkably bad for the remarkably high price Schuberth E1's I tried. To me, this Scorpion is a much better helmet and a decent bargain.

I really, really wanted to like the Schuberth because they are lighter weight. But even at $500 on sale for the Schuberth, this is still an easier helmet to live with on price, fit and function. The only thing the Schuberth had going for it was weight. I am still amazed that the closure mechanism sucked badly on all three E1's I ordered.

Especially when the AT950 works perfectly every time. I did need to add XL cheek pads to a size L helmet to make this one wearable. But otherwise it has been excellent. And my Cardo was WAY easier to mount compared to my old Trekker. Kind of funny that I thought the drop down shield would be a gimmick, but I love it.

I couldn't be happier with this thing.

IMG_20191228_104707244[1].jpg
  14. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone has noticed any "play" in either one of their chin bar latch pins. One of mine is pretty loose, the other is tight. I took the cheek pad out to see if there was a way I could tighten it, but appears to be somehow made in with no way to tighten it.
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had an AT950 for a couple years now, I wear it for commuting every day and enduro riding most Sundays.
    I have sure enjoyed it but I have 2 beefs:
    1) the orange-colored trim faded into a strange color. I would avoid the orange next time.
    2) the replacement visor and sun visor are pretty expensive compared to the price of the helmet.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. JagLite

Oddometer:
    One of mine came loose recently so I just tightened it. :thumb
    It screws in to a backing plate evidently. :hmmmmm
  17. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responding, I'll have to pull that cheek pad out and take another look. I purchased it from Revzilla and when I called them they told me to send them a video of it showing the play, and they would contact Scorpion and said it should be covered under warranty. They called me later and said Scorpion would not replace it, but I could ship it to them and they would try to tighten it.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep if you have a hot spot use the smooth back side of a spoon to shape it in slightly.
    JagLite and Heepspo like this.
  19. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the round end of a screwdriver... works perfect.
    JagLite and eakins like this.
  20. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been loving my new AT950! (I bought the "Outrigger" in the 'Sand' color)
    I bought the helmet for 2 uses. I'm a snowmobile guide so I'm using it for that and eventually for ADV riding.

I'm blown away by this helmet! Fits better, feels better than any helmet I've ever owned. It might be a slight step down in quality "feel" from an Arai or Shoei but still, fantastic. To be fair, it's probably hard to compare the quality "feel" of a full face helmet with a modular helmet due to the design? Just a thought.
    The openness and field of view from behind the lens is incredible. I've been wearing my Shoei RF1100 for a while before I bought this helmet so that's what I'm initially comparing it to. It's nice not to have to tilt my head down to see below me. The lower cutout "ADV" style of the shield is amazing.

FIT:
    I've ALWAYS been an XL in ever helmet I've ever worn but I'm an XXL with this one (I have a long oval head that measures 24-1/8" around above the eyebrows and I shave my head). I still had to slightly compress the forehead EPS with the rounded handle end of a screwdriver but that worked out great. This is common for me as I have scar tissue directly on my forehead from a couple injuries as a kid, lol. After a few adjustments, it was still a little tight but I wore it on and off around the house for a couple days to break it in before wearing it for an extended period of time. I've now worn it for quite a few 2-3 hour tours and it fits like a glove!
    People who may tend to be claustrophobic would probably love this helmet because it feels so big and open with the face closed. I could sleep in this thing.
    BTW, all the liners came out nicely and were easy to reinstall.
    As many have mentioned, the cheek pads were a little tight, especially with the face latched in the closed position. When it's closed, it kind of pulls the sides together just a little more than when it's open. This became a non issue after about the 2nd to 3rd hour of wearing it.
    The drop down sun visor works perfectly and stops right where I like it. It's odd that you need to slide the mechanism BACK to get it to drop down but it's not a big deal.

FINISH:
    The paint job (nice matte finish) and all the parts feel top notch. I plan to wax it frequently to prevent fading from the sun.
    The opening/closing mechanism feels outstanding/positive and has securely stayed in the open and closed positions without fail.
    Also as some have mentioned, the clear shield ratchets very well but it would be nice to have a smaller minimum opening. I've thought about messing with it with a dremel but probably not as it's not a huge deal.

I bought a pinlock shield and insert but haven't installed it yet. I've had great luck with the Pinlock system on my RF1100. I also purchased the cold weather kit but I need to wash it before installation because it has a strong chemical, toxic smell to it.
    Another guide has an AT950 with the heated shield and LOVES it. I'll probably buy one next year.

NOISE:
    This is one of those subjective gray areas that get responses all over the board. The RF1100 is widely considered to be a quiet helmet but it seems to be just as loud/quiet as the AT950 to me. What you ride along with how big your motorcycle's windscreen is and how tall your torso is along with how straight you sit up can affect perceived helmet noise. I plan to ride with no hearing protection and will be installing a Cardo Bold this Spring.

VENTING:
    I've only worn this helmet in cold weather so far but it's been pretty good. I can feel a difference with the chin vent open and closed and it's kept the shield mostly clear.
    Two things I've noticed about the vent on top of the helmet:
    1- It can be a little awkward to open/close with gloves due to how close the vent is to the peak
    2- If I lift my chin up slightly from my normal facing forward position, I can feel the wind across the top of my head when the vent is opened. I shave my head so I'm probably a good test dummy as there's no hair "insulation", lol.

WEIGHT:
    I put both of these helmets on my food scale and the AT950 was 1/10th of an ounce heavier. The RF1100 has an old Sena 3S-W installed but it's really light and they both have the Echo Quick Releases installed on them.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    My overall grade is an A.
    PROS:
    -Modular
    -Comfort
    -Field of view
    -Drop down sun visor
    -Value (I get special pricing... $188 :D)

CONS:
    -Weight... every helmet could be lighter but I bought a modular knowing it'd be heavier
    -Ratcheting shield's minimum opening is too big
    -Backwards mechanism on drop down visor
    -Not really a con but the sizing is weird. Make sure you try on locally first if you order online.

Buying helmets is tough. You really don't know for sure how good a specific helmet is going to fit/feel. Things like noise, cheek pads, model specific features, etc and how they all work together FOR YOU can make or break your investment. This is my first modular helmet so I was a bit nervous about adopting this different design but so far it has far exceeded my expectations! I really like this one
    JagLite likes this.