New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    So I have had this helmet for over a year and thought I would give an update:
    I also experienced the tightness in the jaw area, but a year later they have broken in so much, I feel it no longer fits correctly. It is now pretty loose on my head.
    It is really noisy on my street bike. I ran it with the peak off and it was still unbearable without ear plugs.
    I like the modular design and the drop down sun shield.

I find I like a modular design so I bought a different modular for the street, a Klim TK1200. while not an offroad helmet, I much prefer the Klim. It came with a transitions shield and a pinlock insert. It is substantially lighter than the Scorpion (Klim is carbon fiber), and it is a little bit quieter. I still wear earplugs. It fits my head very well. The venting is better. It was about $100 more than the Scorpion but worth it to me. I now am saving the Scorpion for dirt. I will probably get some new cheekpads soon.
    Heepspo and Grreatdog like this.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you said is why I saved the the too tight cheek pads.
    JagLite and van the man like this.
  3. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replacement cheek pads are about $15 I think. You could try that, maybe a size up?
    Eatmore Mudd, JagLite and van the man like this.
  4. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Do you order them directly from Scorpion? I haven't really checked into it much and I'm too lazy I guess to look it up.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered them from Revzilla with the helmet. I did my usual style of Revzilla order: two sizes of helmet and three sizes of cheeks pads then cough up the $7.99 fee to return all the extras in the same box.
    van the man, Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  6. Heepspo

Heepspo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As Grreatdog said, revzilla has them and I think amazon does too
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yet another review. I have only had the helmet 3 days. I want to love it. It fits tight, but well, and is mostly comfortable. Same comments as others in regards to cheeks and jawbone being the tightest area, and actually some jaw discomfort after only about an hour of riding. The vis is excellent. I never thought I'd be a modular helmet guy, but I really like it for pumping gas, talking to fellow riders at stop (bonus for tobocco chewers like myself) and general airflow when puttering around. My biggest gripe with the helmet is the sun visor, which at speeds as low as 35MPH, begins to rattle. It's less the sound that is annoying, but the fact that as a result, the whole helmet vibrates, like my eyeballs are rattling around in my skull... very distracting. This will force me to have to take the sun visor off, thus converting the helmet from a claimed 'adventure' style, to a simple modular helmet. Well, a quick search on Revzilla brings up 79 models of modular helmets for under the $300 price point.
    I got the Scorpion for a mere $150 dollars from a discount site, so ultimately, I do like the helmet, and understand you get what you pay for (in this case Maybe even get a little more that I paid for). But thats my honest review thus far and hope it helps someone out. Bottom line, if its an adventure helmet you're after, consider others. If its a modular helmet youre looking for, this is one of many options.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The difference between a helmet you wear and a helmet you look forward to wearing is teeny tiny and HUGE at the same time. We like our EXOs for the same reasons. Mine doesn't vibrate under any condition. Maybe trouble shoot the vibe by riding a different bike and see if the root cause is a little river of air turbulence generated by the bikes mirror or windshield or headlight some such ? It'd be shame to buy more helmets when your almost there for a keeper helmet.
    dobby and JagLite like this.
  9. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd second that, I've had mine for a few years now and I don't ever get any vibrations. I have had the visor get loose, the helmet does require a little more maintenance than an Arai or Nolan. Fortunately you can tighten the fasteners that loosen most often with a quarter! Mine was also tight at first and then relaxed as it broke in. I did notice it being tighter on a ride yesterday but I'm attributing it to my COVID-19 Mane!
    Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  10. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right you are! I dropped the windscreen and all vibration went away! Downside was that the wind noise became a problem, not to mention a chest full. Thanks for the advice I'll be tinkering with the screen angle to try and fine tune the turbulence.
    dobby, JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the flap on the vent over your forehead makes a noise from wind a small piece of scotch tape to hold it shut and no more noise on hot days just open it up. Tape down on cooler days. Second year and so happy with mine. You who removed the visor try a piece of tape on the vent and visor on.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. Slowklr

Slowklr Attempting to fall in style

Oddometer:
    I wish mine had more ventilation.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the visor closed it’s limited - when I need air the visor comes up or I lift the chin bar-

I have found a new use for the Scorpion as a ‘vital shopping accessory’ in these here strange days that have beset our land!
    :D

EF42C840-F0BC-4808-ADF9-82E3F8B715FA.jpeg
  14. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    With limited travel it's a good time for getting things done. One item on the list was pull out and wash the liner on the AT. I use Tide free and clear laundry detergent and a splash of Lysol laundry sanitizer... because it was there. In a Bucket with warm water. Not surprisingly the water was filthy as I have been riding some hot and dusty trails. Rinse and spin cycle excess water with the washing machine. Hang dry for a couple days. Super easy snapping the liner in and out. Planning on practicing social distancing in some remote areas soon.
    JagLite and Chris-KH2PM like this.
  15. elbell

elbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More ventilation??? When I need more air I just flip up the clear face shield and use the drop down the sun visor to block the wind. Works great! And a piece of electrical tape across the top of the drop down sun visor also works great when the sun is low and you're riding right into it. Never thought I'd like a modular helmet but the more I wear it the more I like it!
    JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Heck sometimes when I want all the ventilation on mine I flip the the whole thing up and ride open face.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Caution if you sit yours on your mirror while off the bike and the helmet angles some so the edge of your mirror is contacting
    the inside of the shield at all...any little movement and your inner shield is scratched and all F'up. :nah:hair
    DAMHIK.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So if pads are loose you size down as they are larger to fill up the shell more.

Sounds like some here might need to size up (pads are tight, so create more room) immediately with the cheek pads.

Not sure of the shell sizing on this helmet but usually several sizes use the same shell but different pad thickness on helmets at this price point.

While $$$ helmet like some Arai and Shoei use a unique shell size for each helmet size.

Scorpion reps would know how the shell sizing steps work.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So I have a medium Arai XD4 that fits great but I needed to get a large 950 to fit for me.
    I'm sure alot of that is head shape but this helmet fits small IMO.
    JagLite likes this.