1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried an AT950 on in the store, but only for a little bit. It was comfortable, tight on the cheeks, but I don't honestly know how it fit for a long time. The problem I'm having with most intermediate oval shaped helmets is a hot spot above my forehead - Arai XD4 and the Shoei Hornet X2 have the same issue. Those of you with longer oval head shapes - how does this lid fit? Any comparison to the AGV AX9, Nexx XWED2, Bell MX-9 ADV or Klim Krios?
  2. David Crockett

David Crockett n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had my 950 for about 3 years now. Used it on a couple of long trips where I was in it all day. The comfort was as good as it should be for all day riding. The noise is a bit higher than I would like but I think that is part of the price paid with a modular. I love the peek visor. It’s great when heading into the Sun. The area in front of the mouth/chin is ample enough to not feel tight. Love the built in Sun Screen. Have used the helmet from 105 degree heat in Texas Humidity to near freezing rain in Colorado. Fogging up was not really and issue.
    Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  3. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Honestly most of the noise is from the Visor. I had to try it without. The “street” Helmet is the EXO1100 so the Visor stays on the ADV 950. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
    Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  4. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem with the XD4 and the AT950. The Shoei seemed OK in the store, but the HJC DS-X1 and the Bell MX-9 ADV were both very comfortable. I had both on for about 20 min each in the shop back in December, and no hot spot. I ended up getting a Nexx X.WED2 though because it was so much lighter. If the Shoei gave you hot spot issues though, the Nexx probably won't work for you. Fit is similar.
    Of course YMMV...
  5. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did try on the Bell MX-9 and it seems like a longer oval shape of the intermediate oval lids. I think the Bell would be my pick if it wasn't for the damn vents not being able to close. I ride in the rain and that's a deal breaker for me. The weird issue I had with the Nexx X.WED2 was that the size medium was pretty freakin big on me, but the Shoei is very snug in medium. I'm definitely between sizes on the XD-4, and I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat with the Nexx.
  6. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are these holding up for you guys? mine's about 2.5 years old, i've got probably 40,000 miles on it. It seems like I should probably be replacing it, the visor isn't very clear anymore, the cheek pads and liner are pretty gross and I can't find new ones for sale anymore, at least in Canada. The trim on the bottom is also coming off, I have to tuck it back in multiple times a day. I'm debating buying a new shield and superglue the trim back on. Wish I could get new cheek pads and liner, but by the time I do all that i'd probably be pushing the point of just buying a new helmet anyways. Pretty disapointed to only get 2.5 years out of it, my old HJC IS-MAX lasted me 5 years.
  7. BTWilliam04

BTWilliam04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    40k miles is a lifetime of miles for the average rider....
    Mine is just alright. One of the metal tabs that the front clips down on constantly cones loose. Scorpion has not been responsive which is disappointing because this is the 5th helmet I've bought from them and their customer service was always top notch in the past.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Do you wash the liner? That’s why it’s removable. I hand wash both Scorpion liners with clothes washing soap every Fall before storage. More often with the 950 from dusty, hot rides.
    Face shields are expendable.
    One way to make them last is carry a cotton wash cloth and a small spray bottle for cleaning. I have a friend that uses the windshield cleaner at gas pumps, then wipes it off with paper towels. He wonders why his shield is so “spider webbed” he gets glare.
    NEVER use paper products. Or that “cleaner” at the pumps .
    After a days ride I soak a small Cotten towel with warm water and press it on the shield, leaving it there for an hour or so to soften the bugs and grime.
    I get several years out of a shield.
    Shoe Goo is great for repairs.
    Good Luck!
    JagLite, SloMoShun and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  9. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think I am just hard on helmets. I ride a lot for work so the helmet comes on/off, multiple times a day etc The liners I wash at a few times a year, I thinkt hat's part of the issue is taking them in and out all of the time. I also have an ADV bike and dual sport and this helmet sees a lot of rocks, branches, etc. With my HJC I was primarily a street rider at the time. I really like the helmet, i'm now thinking maybe I just buy a new one, the shields 50 canadian, cheek pads and liners are going to cost me about $150 to get here, if I even can so i'm up to 200 bucks and the helmets 300 new.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. BTWilliam04

BTWilliam04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen them as cheap as 210 new, just shop around all the different sites
  11. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    210 US though? I'm in Canada so 210 US is about $290 cdn

I really like all the fancy new gizmos on the Klim Krios Pro but that things 3 times the price!
  12. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tennyis and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Canada, so by the time I start ordering from the USA, getting it across the border, shipping, import fees, etc all those little pieces are adding up damn near to just buying a new one. If I had a good source for them in Canada it would probably make sense to go that route. I would need the liner as well though which seems to be hard to find.

Wash mine regularly as well, I think that's possibly done more harm them good as that's where it's starting to fail along with the trim on the bottom. How many miles do you have on yours?

Also in doing some research on the Klim Krios and other helmets I came across another interesting fact. With the shell sizes being the same they just use thicker liners. Mine's a 3XL so i'd have the thinest possible liner and cheek pad, could explain why i'm only getting 2.5 years/40,000 miles of use.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Tennyis, the EXO AT 950 with different colors and graphics is also the CastleX EXO CX 950 snowmobile helmet. That might could give ya an avenue to save a few bucks on replacement face shields an whatnot.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want to be sure to avoid anything with alcohol in it. Made for glass, rots acrylic.
  16. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible for one of us to get a pair from Revzilla and send them to you? Or is shipping into Canada shut down all together?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  17. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    I’ve had mine for about 10,000 miles now. Still love it! Wore a Caberg Tourmax II, which was my first modular ADV helmet. The Caberg got creaky after some 20,000 miles and finally shelved it when I got the AT 950 last year. The right side adjuster screw backed out and fell off at highway speed, so I took the visor and beak off until a donor screw (and blue locktite) could replace the missing screw. Cycle Gear doesn’t sell replacements so I guess I’ll have to source it from Scorpion, unless an inmate has another source.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Ammonia. Glass and window cleaners with ammonia in them are bad for acrylic and poly carbonate. Rainex has products specifically for plastic. McGuire's is another one.

For melting off baked on bug guts I'vehad good luck so far flopping a hydrogen peroxide soaked baby diaper on the windshield or face shield for a minute or two then wiping 'em right off followed by a rinse with clear water.
  19. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Fortnine up here in Canada has some really good deals on the Klim Krios so i've got one on order. I took my AT950 apart for another cleaning/inspection last night and it's in really rough shape. I think from all the offroad use it's seen/sweating that it's made the EPS really brittle I had pieces of it coming off, most of it is white now instead of black lol.

The Krios is an interesting helmet, but lacking in a lot of features, if I don't like it I am going to likely go with the MX-9 Adventure, I think I need a more dirt oriented helmet. After I ordered the Klim I thought that the ideal setup probably would have been an HJC CL-MAX3 and Bell MX-9 MIPS, would cost about $100 less then the Klim as well!
    JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, ammonia or alcohol will do it in.