New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    Yeah, a letdown when I saw white not available. :confused
  2. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here regarding the optics of the face shield. For now I put my Scorpion on the shelf and returned to using my Shoei until the pinlock shield becomes available in a couple of months. Other than the two complaints, its a great helmet.
  3. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased an Antracite in XL, which is a size up from my normal size in helmets. I'm happy with it so far. It felt a little tight around the jaw line at first but I'm used to it now. No real complaints except perhaps the padding on the chin strap seems a bit excessive when you first strap it on. It seems to set right up against my adam's apple for the first 5 minutes for some reason. Kind of feels like I'm choking until I get it situated. Sena 20s fits perfect with excellent pathways to get the wiring laid in. The colors are bit lacking. No white, no red high accents, just dark colors. Otherwise pretty happy with it.
    mbabc likes this.
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I do wish it came in white.
  5. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume that once they see how it sells the next round we'll see more color options. The beauty is at the price point if you really want a second one most could probably scrounge up enough coin for a second. I wouldn't mind a red/white color scheme.
  6. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    :nod

Q~
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up today. Matt black with the reflective silver...

[​IMG]
  8. svs

Oddometer:
    Helmet Art!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ^^^ So the middle solid silver helmet is an EXO 1100 or 1200?
  10. svs

Oddometer:
    It's from around 2010 - an EXO 500, big and ROUND- felt like an astronaut helmet. The internal visor, the comfortable liners, price and the inflatable cheek pads were what drew me to Scorpion.
    TonyKZ1 and Bigger Al like this.
  11. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the European manufacturer - they will be launching the SAME helmet, but with a different product designation (ADX-1), in Nov/Dec 2017, and what's more, they will have a ....Pearl White!

ADX-1 Matt Black

ADX-1 Pearl White

ADX-1 Matt Anthracite

ADX-1 ANIMA Matt Black-Red

ADX-1 ANIMA Matt Black-Neon Yellow

ADX-1 ANIMA White-Red-Blue

So potentially, it may be able in the 'States at a later date? With our summer riding temps here in South Africa, our customers also want plainer/cooler colours, with White being one of the most requested colours.
    Cheers
    Chris & Team
  12. Mrob

Mrob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So is ADX-1 still a Scorpion product number. Meaning this will still be a Scorpion helmet and not under another brand correct?
  13. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Is the silver "flash back"? I'm probably going to get one, but I was thinking of the Hi Viz.
  14. svs

Oddometer:
    Yep its reflective
  15. svs

Oddometer:
    Rode with it today- a lot of weight in the face bar. You can really feel it when the face is up, it's low and out front when riding, never felt weight like that in a face bar before. It feels substantial and not too close to yer face. A different balace to the weight distribution, being high in the back and weight low in the front. Make sure you get a snug fit.

Because it's high in the back - you'll be a redneck whilst and after wearing it. Use sun screen.

I got an XL and my two other Scorpions are XL's and a helmet skull cap on the AT950 makes the fit perfect. My EXO 500 and the VX34 are tighter and the have the pump system on the cheek pads.

Big eye port- the lift tabs on the clear shield are in your peripheral vision when the visor is up. I'd rather that not be the case.

The middle set position of the face shield is not needed as it puts the bottom edge in your site line. The low position is good and lines up the bottom edge with the bottom edge of drop down internal visor.

Quiet and excellent face shield seal - internal drop down visor seems less substantial than my EXO 500 - moved around at speed a little - will have to monitor this and suggest to Scorpion to consider making it a mill thicker so it does not deflect- it's larger (surface area), rounder and feels thinner than in my EXO 500 which might be why it flexed, trembled just a bit.

I'll give it time to get use to 'this' drop down visor and see how it is without the peak visor.

I almost always ride with the face shield up and drop down visor deployed- (EXO 500) don't need sunglasses with a good tinted drop down. Drop down visors are a must for me- would have a hard time going back to face shield only- glasses always fit poorly.

Going to ride later without the peak visor and see if the helmet is more stable at speed. The visor did catch air - can live with it if speeds are 60 and lower. Higher speeds and the peak visor trembles just a bit, it's (I reckon) made to flex more so than be rigid.

One of the good features is the ability switch out face shield and visor- can tailor the helmet to a variety of ride conditions/environments.

It's a good helmet -

image.jpeg

Ride well fellers!
    McChicken and mbabc like this.
  16. Scorpion Sports

Scorpion Sports (Now with Motowearhouse.com)

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to share with the Inmates your review of the EXO-AT950. When I was testing it out during preproduction, some of what you mentioned came up. (especially the "middle position" of the face shield- it was right in my line of vision. If the mold was redone it would have delayed the product release considerably and that was really not anything that anyone wanted. Frankly, I don't ever ride with any helmet with the face shield in that middle position.)

Now for some shameless self-promotion...

I have left Scorpion Sports to open up a shop in Corona. Our core product line is Scorpion (we do stock other brands too), so if you have any questions or want to come by the store is www.motowearhouse.com. Also, we are an factory authorized Scorpion Service Center. (Similar to what Schubert does)

Randy
    Motowearhouse
    125 Business Center Dr
    Suite I
    Corona, CA
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  17. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Got my AT950 a month or so ago but had a ladder dismount the hard way and ended up with very mc like injuries. Broken clavicle and ribs...ouch. Haven't been able to wear are it except around the house but the cheek pads were very tight on my copy. Sent an email to Scorpion which is copied below..

Hey folks,

I've been wearing a EXO-900 modular for the last several years and just bought a AT950 size large.

Question on the cheek pads. The large are a bit tight but I may just have to break them in some.

If I understand this correctly I can't get thinner pads because I'd need xl pads but they aren't interchangeable with the large helmet?

Is this correct and if so do you have any suggestions? I don't think I have fat cheeks so any help would be great.

Here's the reply...

Good Morning Mark,

Thank you for contacting Scorpion USA. We recognized that original cheek pads were too thick for the respective sizes and have done a running change to thin the cheek pads to the correct size. Please send me your U.S. address and I’ll have a set of revised cheek pads in the mail for you.

Thank you,

I'll report back once they arrive. Got to respect Scorpion customer service for this.
    Texas Aggie likes this.
  18. CB919

CB919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up this helmet after reading this thread with high hopes that it would deliver what, in my mind, is the best of both worlds.

I bought a Large and my head measures 58cm. Top of the medium range so I went up. Hate tight hats so I kept my fitlosophy the same here.

Initial impression:
    Looks 5/5 for my orange Neocon color scheme

Fit 4/5: I think my head is more oval so I noticed a sharp edge on my forehead when I adjust it after putting it on. This doesn't seem to affect my comfort during the ride.

Function 5/5 - I love the modular functionality along with a dual purpose look and feel. The shield works well fully closed and makes little noise when fully closed. As others mentioned it's a little weird to clean. I tried a microfiber terrycloth and it seemed to drag a bit. Second time I used hot water and soap. I then dabbed the water of with a regular terrycloth towel. Results were good.
    The flip down shaded shield works better than I expected. Covers most of my vertical field of vision except when gazing down toward the speedo etc. which I don't mind.

The Ride without visor 4/5:
    This is the first non-motoX helmet I've ever rode with. When I first rode I was stunned how still my head stayed while doing highway speeds. Noise levels are much reduced with vents all closed and shield down. Open the top vent and I get a pretty annoying whistle. Open the face guard vent and it's more of a whooshing sound that's added.
    All in all pretty darn happy with it.

Ride with visor: 2/5 this thing's manners changed altogether for me on my bike. I have the Desierto 3 faring and windshield adjusted all the way up. The visor must catch the turbulent air that without it must sneak under or just slices through. It makes my helmet vibrate so bad my vision is actually impacted. I couldn't wait to take it off. It was also so high up I could hardly see it so I'm not sure the effectiveness to block the sun.

Lastly I want to point out what I encountered while swapping the visor on and off. The left side slotted cap bolt that holds the cover over the shield pivot backed out with the entire pivot insert. There was some blue thread lock on the threads of the pivot so they probably intended for it to stay put. When removing the clear shield to wash under water, I removed the cap and thought the insert also needed to be removed as well but the right side insert did not want to back out - it just kept turning and felt like it was cycling through the detents of the shield stops. Hopefully nothing was stripping? I then realized it did not need to come out for the shield to pop off. I put it back together after washing it and it seems to be just fine and functional.

Overall I am hopeful that I'll like my new helmet. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1471833352.767772.jpg
    mbabc likes this.
  19. GeeMan

GeeMan KB Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been noticing the thrumming vibration that the peak visor sets up anywhere from 35 to 60 mph on my Africa Twin. It's a bass tone that gets right into your skull. It might be specific to this bike but disappointing since the aerodynamics on the '16 Africa Twin are really great otherwise. If you reach up and touch the visor while riding the noise stops. Aside from this and the fact that the extra large size I got is too tight....I like the helmet. Especially the ginormous field of view. Thought I'd be able to break-in the helmet to fit right but now would like to get double extra large cheek pads and crown liner too if that's possible. Too late to send it back.
    Swen13 and mbabc like this.
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You can get pads from Scorpion to adjust the fit. The guy that took the testing helmet from me has jaws like a chipmunk so he ordered up a pair of the cheek pads from an XXL and now it fits him perfectly.