New Adventure Helmet - Scorpion's EXO AT950 - Modular Adventure!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y E T I, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in Everett Powersports yesterday, and they had a Neocon Hi-Vis Yellow in stock in my size. Tried it on, loved it, bought it. Will update once I get in some riding time with it...
  2. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Just got the silver stripped version!

Good first impressions, have yet to spend a full day in it. It fits a touch tight so I had to go to the next size up...hopefully it will break in and loosen up a touch.

It's a bit noisier than the BMW enduro but has better air flow. I wear earplugs on the highway with any helmet so no real difference there. Weight feels the same, less buffeting than the BMW. The visor/field of vision is very close to the same (advantage to Scorpion) and I found the clarity with both the sun visor and clear shield is great! I don't miss all of the visor adjustment notches as I'm usually fully open, closed or first notch. The first notch on the Scorpion is in a great spot for me.

So far it's a winner, especially at half the price!!!

Attached Files:

Y E T I and mbabc like this.
  3. Saga

Saga n00b

Oddometer:

Thank you for posting this since I have a older MED Scorpion EXO-900 and it fits perfectly. However, my new MED Scorpion EXO-950 AT is extremely tight due to the cheek pads. The helmet is so tight that I had to leave it behind for the trip across the US that I am currently on. I will definitely contact Scorpion to receive the smaller cheek pads. Thanks again.
    mbabc likes this.
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with my contact at Scorpion. The dark smoke shields are now available and the Gold Mirror ones should be available any day. Good news!
  5. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had mine now for over a month and I really like it. Mine too had the bolt back out I was on the highway and I lost it luckily I was able to make a fix for my ride home. Female scorpion it within 24 hours I received a couple of bolts. They confirm for me the arrival of the smoked visor and also a visor that adapts to pin lock. So far this summer I road with the visor up all the time and there was plenty of ventilation. One of the things I really like is the first detent which keeps the visor up about half an inch up from the chin piece, it gives great ventilation for when it's pissing rain. I have been writing my 1190 r with my windshield down this summer to get maximum ventilation and up to speeds of 100 miles an hour and the only real problem I had with the helmet is because it is somewhat of a v-shape in the front if you turn your head at high speed your head has a lot of resistance from the wind. This is a dirt bike helmet and I don't recommend doing this hahaha!

Smooth throttles and fantastic fun wheelies!
  6. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an update, I've got some miles on the helmet and really like it. When the face shield is up and the peak visor is on the helmet there is virtually no trembling, like a laminar effect or something. Also have been wearing my transitional progressive prescription glasses and looking thru the drop down visor I get no distortion and can see everything better....Love it.

The Big Eye port and the Flip up chin bar allow for this.

Love this helmet!
    jvloyola, mbabc and Questor like this.
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:

I read your posts and noticed the same issues with the peak visor trembling to the point it too blurred my vision. I was running the peak visor without the face shield when I noticed this.

This weekend I re-installed the Peak Visor with the face shield and when riding with the Face Shied UP the peak visor did not tremble like it did with the face shield off. Shut the face shield and the trembling came back, raise the shield and it seemed to stabilize the helmet.

Weird but that's what happened.

I ride a V-Strom with the stock shield, Laminar Lip and adjustable windshield (Maddstad) bracket. Took a long time to get the air pocket dialed in and the buffeting dealt with.

[​IMG]
    CB919 likes this.
  8. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    See if you can find out when the Pinlock shield will be available. I need a new helmet. :deal
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Yo Al!!!! :wave

I did as you commanded and Scorpion tells me any day now. They are slated for delivery to Scorpion (which is here in SoCal) mid-September. :thumb
    Bigger Al likes this.
  10. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    I just tried one of these helmets, and I am returning it. Keeping my Shoei Neotech and will probably buy a Schuberth E1.

It is a good helmet at a very good price, but I didn't like the round head fit, the too light tint on the sun shade, the sun visor that is too high, and not functional, and crates a downwards pressure at speed.
  11. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    E1 starts at $800. My C3 Pro was rich for my blood. I use it for Road riding only in commuting and keep the other one for dirt only or really hot summer days

Smooth throttles and fantastic fun wheelies!
  12. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had the Scorpion EXO 900 Hi-Viz for the past 6 years (Six months out in the sun and six months in the bottom of a closet here in Vermont since 2010) and have been looking at the AT950 as a replacement. I have looked but have been unable to find a clear picture of what the notches on the shield look like that determine how far up the shield opens. Would taking a Dremel to the shield help with a lower setting?
  13. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a month or so I can say that this helmet is an amazing find for the money. Super comfortable, great vision, and its built extremely well. I am going to have to highly recommend it.
  14. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    If you go to the first post, I posted close-ups of the notches in the shield. :thumb
  15. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    'Sup Yeti?! :beer

Thanks for the intel!! Looks like the fat man gets a new lid this Winter! :happay
    Y E T I likes this.
  16. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Bell MX-9. Nice helmet, but that's not the point. It also comes with an anti-fog coating that I kinda wrecked with Plexus. Except that I cleaned it with copious amounts of rubbing alcohol and it appears to have "fixed" it. I wonder if anyone has tried this with the Scorpion coatings?

This helmet is on the "check it out soon" list.
  17. ETAV8R

ETAV8R D.E.R.P'n

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested in this helmet. I've got a gmax modular now but want a helmet with a peak in addition to an internal sun visor like my gmax.

Waiting for a white to be released.
  18. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Pin Lock Shields have arrived per Chris Martinez, Regional Sales Manager for Scorpion and an all around great guy. They are in Scorpion USA's warehouse however we'll have to wait until their Retailers get them in stock. For now here are the part numbers:

Here’s the details from Scorpion USA's:

Part# 52-544-51

$49.95 Retail

EXO-AT950 Pinlock Faceshield

Part# 52-528-51

$17.95 Retail

EXO-AT950 Pinlock Insert

I contacted my local Scorpion retailer (Bert's megamall) and ordered one. Since they are local to the Scorpion's warehouse I should receive it within the week - I hope. Scorpion said they would ship to Bert's today if the order was placed. I'll post some photos when I get it.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  19. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a new helmet and just found this one. I like everything I'm reading, but the sizing concerns me a little. Reading through the thread, I don't remember seeing any posts where anyone actually measured their head and ordered from the sizing chart accordingly. My head is more oval than round and measures approximately 23 3/16" which falls on the low end of the large size range, according to the Scorpion size chart.

Has anyone taken this approach with any luck or does the AT950 not fit true to their size chart?

http://scorpionusa.com/support/size-charts/fitment
  20. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sizing.... I wear a large in Arai and Shoei so I took a chance and ordered the large Scorpion. I thought it was a bit tight our of the box but was wrong. Fits just about the same as the others.