New adventurehelmet for shoei head, Bell MX-9?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Lars C (DK), Feb 14, 2020.

1. Lars C (DK)

Lars C (DK) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have a Shoei GT Air witch i find to fit me very well. Very nice helmet indeed, but when going of the bitumen the helmet is heavy but worst of all, it fogs up even with pin-lock installed.

I have looked at the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS, but does any of you know it a Bell helmet will fit a Shoei head? If not, any suggestions for good and not expensive helmets.
    Unfortunately, there are no dealers in my neighbourhood that have a good selection of helmets to try.
  2. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find Bell and Shoei both fit my noggin perfectly. I currently wear an RF1200 or MX-9 MIPS DLX and both are comfy.
  3. ukAdventurer

ukAdventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the Bell MX9 adventure MIPS but it doesn’t fit me well at all but I don’t blame Bell. I stupidly didn’t measure my head for years. It was 58cm when I started riding but it grew to 60.5cm somehow. Yes, a size L will go on but after about an hour I get pressure headaches which make riding unbearable. So, I bought a Bell Race Star XL which is all day comfortable but not a dual sport helmet. I’d definitely consider another MX9 but in XL or I might try a motocross helmet.

BEST to try any helmet for at least an hour or two. At the store or at home from a place with free returns. Unfortunately I live in a place with no dealers (Mongolia) and have to order online. Returns are impractical.
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  4. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burr.
  5. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Shoei GT Air in XXL that I replaced with a Bell MX9 Adventure in XL & SRT Modular in XL. The fit very similar to my Shoei. The only real change is my glasses don't for as well in the SRT like it did in the Shoei.

There isn't a night and day difference in build quality between the Shoei vs Bell. But there is a noticeable difference. I've only had my Bell for about 4 months, so time will tell. But I'm happy enough with 2x Bell helmets for the cost of a single Shoei.
  6. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear a Shoei Hornet X2 as my "Adventure" helmet and a Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS as my dirt bike helmet. I find the MX-9 to be all-day comfortable. Really, no complaints at all.
  7. Lars C (DK)

Lars C (DK) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more, but I live in Denmark, and the selection of adventure helmets at dealers are close to not existing. So i need to buy it without trying it first, returns are always impractical.

To all others, thx for the reply, i will give it a try. Sounds like Shoei and Bell helmets are pretty close in "head shape".
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  8. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a small Shoei RF-SR and the small MX-9 adventure Mips fits perfectly.
    Keep in mind that the RF1200 and GT-Air don't work for me.

The MX-9 is likely going to be my "around town and in the woods" helmet in hot weather next season.
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been so enamored with the Shoei and Arai adventure style helmets that I never even considered the Bell (ashamed to admit that I didn't even know they made one). It looks like a very nice helmet. I also discovered the Scorpion EXO AT950 while checking out the Bell's. I'm going to stop in my local Cycle Gear and try on both. The Scorpion looks really nice.
  10. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem with the bell mx9 is it felt huge even in size small for me. I wear an Xs arai, so I guess yeah. But still, the shell size felt much bigger.
  11. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you can't "hands on" I'll give you a few more impressions of the MX-9 Adventure...

I like that the shield is easily removed without tools. If I'm doing mainly trail riding I'll take off the shield and just use goggles and enjoy the airflow. If I'm doing mixed dirt/pavement dual sport type riding I'll leave the shield on. Note that it is easy to wear goggles with the shield installed and even flip the shield down over the goggles when weather or situation dictates.

Also note that the shield has good optics and has solid detents to hold it in various positions of openness. One of my grips with my Arai XD-4 was that the shield was basically held in position by the friction between the outer plate, the shield, and the helmet itself and would get super gritty when riding in dusty conditions.

The top screw for the peak has two positions for a high or low fitment. In the high fitment the peak is just barely visible in your field of view. The peak can also be removed if you should want to run the helmet in a more "street" configuration for some reason.

The removable cheek/ear pads include a pocket for installing speakers and made the installation of my Sena 10s communicator a breeze. When looking at reviews and write ups I kept seeing mentions that the helmet was not compatible with the clamp mounts typical of most comm systems, but that must have been an incorrect carryover from the pre-MIPS helmets.

The helmet seems to have pretty good aerodynamics and so far I haven't had issues with lift from the peak or buffeting.

The one oddity that I don't get is the excessive length of the chin strap. I really don't know what sort of inhuman mutant fatman double chin you would have to have to utilize the amount of strap provided.
  12. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoei helmets fit my head nicely. Went from a Shoei Qwest to a Bell MX9 MIPS and it feels great. I think the general head shapes between those two brands are similar. I love my Bell MX9.
  13. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The AT950 is my road helmet and Bell MX-9 (non-adventure) is my offroad/snow helmet. They are both excellent value in helmets.

14. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do those front vents do in colder weather? The main chin vent can open and close, but the side ones definitely do not and are only covered by a bit of metal mesh.