New Africa Twin hits NZ...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by wairau, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    I like the white/gold too.
    Was offered a ride too, but knew that'd cause a divorce on arriving home on a new bike.
    Soon as I mentioned I fall off a lot, all ride offers evaporated. Go figure!
    Te Hopo, kiwibul and Night Falcon like this.
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I read the review in the local rag and had to share it with Shar, despite it being written by Paul Owen. He seems to have matured as an adventure rider over the last ten years - he used to be a pretty clueless twat and write reviews that lost their only redeeming quality if printed on glossy paper - but I digress.

It's one of the few bikes I'd seriously consider buying. Disabling only the rear ABS is something I've long said needs to be a feature on adventure bikes, so good on Honda! My dad's twin-clutch car shifts very well; by all accounts so does this implementation. It will be interesting to see if Honda can make this auto-box 'stick'. Most motorcycle autos were fairly short-lived or on bike/scooter hybrid mules, but this seems to be a useful adaptation. Friends of ours have bought one, old's kool manual AFAIK.

The white w/ gold rims is so 1980's, which I suppose is the point: harking back to the good ol' days when the AT was born. I like the brighter look of the red with black rims, it doesn't look so dated.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    1st boat since the earthquake has arrived.

honda tauranga has got a new red one (plus their demo). seems theres not that many to spread around. gonna pop down in the morn.
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the red and white colour schemes, the silver one not so much and you can keep the gold rims. As for the bike.... didn't gel with the manual one I took for a spin, had permission to buy it but meh, the motor seemed a bit lack luster, and the screen is all wrong for a 6'1" rider. I can see the attraction though, its a great looking bike (without the gold rims)......maybe if they made an orange version......:komet
  5. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    So... what did you think ?
  6. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    He may have picked up the one with the gold rims and is still riding. :-)
  7. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    er, sorry just back from a few days away. yeah, had a ride on fri morn. theres a handy loop near here, did about 40km? was away about a hour.

first impression that stayed with me was the weight of it, and the feeling of sitting on quality compared to a yamaha i'd ridden the day before. seat height was pretty manageable despite them looking enormous on the centre stand. the engine is tuned for bottom end and mid range power. it doesn't rev very high, redline is about 7000rpm. it literally pulls from just off idle. doesnt so much accelerate hard as gather momentum. look down though and its easy enough to be doing $1.20+. overtaking with feeling needs 5th. comfort was good i thought for a stock seat and the turbulence off the screen was ok, certainly better than i expected. there are different height screens avail. road handling for a 21" front was very good i thought, very stable in bumpy corners. very impressed with the suspension and damping, although i believe this was the dealers own personal bike so it'd be fair to expect he's atleast played with the clickers. i didnt do enough gravel to get a meaningful impression. mirrors were clear each time i looked. the crash bars are pricey $1100 ish?, and the centre stand i think he said about $400?. not cheap. traction control has 3 levels + off. the abs can be switched off at the rear only, easy done with 1 button push on the dash, no having to scroll through menus. the bike was coming up 2000km and trip meters didnt seem to have been reset since new, ave. consumption was showing 5.7 litres/100km. maybe not that representative being a demo bike?

i was hoping to replace my 800xc with either an africa twin or an 1190, but unfortunately after riding both, the search continues.

[​IMG]
    young1 and innathyzit like this.
  8. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Good review - thanks. Sounds like a decent touring bike option if you wanted to do some distance in comfort without anything too gnarly along the way.

So, do you mean it was lighter or heavier-feeling than you expected? Guess you are referring to the yammie 1200 ?
  9. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    well, to be fair i've been on my 690 and 300 2 stroke since selling my 800xc, and i've got to say going back to a big bike again for offroad work doesnt appeal. maybe i've changed or got older or something.

an africa twin has crossed the simpson desert in aus, so its certainly a capable bike - in the right hands. i'm just not sure i can be bothered dealing with the big girls anymore?
  10. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    sorry, i missed your 2nd question. yes, its felt heavier than i expected. i think the engine character kept that feeling as it didnt accelerate at quite the pace i thought it would. if you want it to go, you have to twist the handle. comments i've read are all "but the weight just disappears when you set off..." but i didnt feel that.

if the bike is on your radar, have a ride of one and see what you think. ants has a new red one on the floor, more in the new year.
  11. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have occasional fantasies about getting a bigger bike for longer trips... appreciate your feedback.
  12. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DCT for me, soon. Very soon.
  13. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    excellent. i'm still busy trawling the net looking for inspiration.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  14. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    had a friend visit honda in tauranga very recently.

old mate has 3 new africa twins on the floor. and the owner was very keen to talk turkey. so if you're nearly there, sounds to me like he'd have a pretty good deal to offer
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Had my DCT Africa Twin for three months now. Love it
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i must admit, its bloody tempting.

in the meantime however, i've bought a 2nd hand '13 1050 tiger sport. and by crickey that motor has been a revelation.

what to do :hmmmmm
  17. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    That 1050 motor is a real motor. I was very tempted with the 1050 sport. If the AT had not come along I'm sure that would be in my garage by now.
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Yesterday in Wellington, don't know who it is, but looked sharp.
    painkilla and wairau like this.
  19. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    thats more like it :thumb
  20. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    wasn't me. I was driving back from Lake Rotoma.