New Africa Twin Tubeless

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by lamotovita, Dec 25, 2016.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has converted. Right now that's the only thing between me and a new bike.
    I'm NOT interested in debating tubes vs tubeless, my decades of experience with both systems have taught me what is best for my use.
  2. Swedeonwheels

Swedeonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not sure if it will fit on the africa twin, but you could take a look at the tubliss system http://nuetech.com/tubliss/
    never heard a bad review so far
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Many have converted their AT to real tubeless. I don't think the tubliss system offers any advantages on bigger bikes that aren't going to run really low tire pressures.

For those of you that converted, are you running a TL or TT tire in the front? Seems like the front may be harder to find TL.
  4. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Do you have any links to conversions? There are plenty of tubeless 21" tires available.

The Tubliss system is not applicable to the rim sizes used on the AT.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    They are buried in the other AT threads. And really, converting the AT is no different than converting the Tiger 800, etc... Most use Outex kit or 3M (1422?) tape without issue.
  6. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
  7. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I believe those other bikes use rims with a tubeless, or safety bead, type rims, so the conversion will be quite different. I believe the Africa Twin will require new rims.
  8. lamotovita

Oddometer:
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Just do a thread specific search in either of the two main AT threads and you find what you are looking for. Tape method has been used with success. Maybe @twinrider will chime in since he has done the Outex kit. The whole safety bead issue has been debated in length in various threads in the Equipment section.
  10. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    That did occur to me, I did not find any useful info other than 23psi was the lowest pressure recommended by the British company that offers a tape\sealant conversion.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you wanna hear bad listen to my friend. He loved the system until he took bike to shop and had a mech busting tube while dismounting tires. Second it requires drilling 2nd hole in rim. Not reversible.

To OP: look at YouTube videos of people sealing rims with tape and marine sealant, works very well and cost <$10 per wheel.
  12. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  14. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    That's good to know, thanks. Do you have any idea how low a pressure is safe? The euro company that sells a similar product says 23psi but I don't know how they arrived at that number, or if it's for the front and\or rear.
    Did you install it yourself? If so was that straightforward?
  15. mkn

mkn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I converted with the outex kit did not sand down the spokes just cleaned the rims really good and taped over them. Have about 5,000 miles on it no issues what so ever I have not even put a 1 lbs in the tires in a month and a half. Even with the bike sitting for the last 2 weeks because of snow and a really bad cold snap tires are still holding. Do not let the lack of tubeless keep you from buying. I spent 120 bucks can be done much cheaper btw. I love it. I would not air down to 23 but would think 30 and up would work ok depending on your speed.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I had a dealer do the install. The guy at Outex just warned me not to air down too much because it would increase the chance of dinging the rim but didn't tell me any amount. I don't air down at all on a big heavy bike like this, even with tubes.
    matt67450 likes this.
  17. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Here in the USA I can't imagine that a dealer would assume the liability of such an installation. I would expect American Honda to take a dim view of it as well.
    TeepS likes this.
  18. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    With the Outex kit?
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Why? A tube tire can blow out faster than a tubeless tire and the AT has no rim lock on the front to keep the front tire on the rim. So it's not like Honda's solution is any safer than Outex's.
    Blakebird and sinned like this.