New Alberta resident...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 660SMC, Oct 19, 2005.

1. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, my first posting and already, I'm after some info please!
    I'm off to live in Alberta for two years as of June next year and was wondering if anyone had any information / advice with regards to shipping over and registering my 05 660 SMC. As the seat is a slab of granite and has a miniscule fuel tank, it is useless for touring but is okay for street riding and (non-serious!)green laning.
    Would it be worth taking it over or sell it and buy another bike such as the KTM 950 / BMW GS over there? If you would advise getting rid, what kind of price do they go for over there?
    Any advice (on anyhing to do with biking in Canada!!!) would be appreciated!
  2. Namron

Namron Old Fart

Oddometer:
  3. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    It seems like I'm the only one in Alberta regularly on here. The Dual Sport Alberta group is pretty active - as is Dual Sport BC. I don't know where you are from, but the service here - (BMW and KTM same dealer) just sucks. They sold 33 1200GS in Calgary and don't stock air cleaners - a special order item. Alot of guys go to Vancouver for service and parts. There are no good offroad parks except FSRs and the odd dual track if outside the park. You need almost a 250 km range to get anywhere good. We have the Rocky Mountains just 60 kms west, but it is all Park - no motorized vehicles. Most riding is on Forest Service Roads. Search AdvRider for "GSing BC" - I am trying to get 7,000 kms of off road riding organized and posted. Unless you want to truck your KTM to riding areas or compete in the odd enduro, I'd sell it there and get a more HWY friendly bike. The FSRs are empty - in 7,000 kms of FSR riding, I've seen less than 30 vehicles - not one bike. South, East and North of Calgery is basically farm land, lots of straight gravel roads and private land. Hope to see you next season. Any specific questions?

Cheers
  4. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm currently in Germany at the moment and will be moving to the Medicine Hat area which, I've been informed, is surrounded by a very flat, open plain - not ideal for my supermoto :cry
    I've competed at a few enduros in the past and want to get back to riding off-road and to do so on my 660, it requires bigger off-road wheels;a larger fuel tank and a softer seat (!) which I haven't (as yet) been able to find.
    As much as I dislike the idea, I think It may be better to sell it here and look into getting something like the KTM 950 (which would be a right handful off-road, I imagine!) Have you any idea of how much used ones (or tax-free new nes ) go for over there? :huh
    Finally do you need any kind of permit to ride on the FSR?
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    BATUS?
  6. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    You will be alot closer to good riding than people in Calgary. 40 min. west of Medicine hat is the Crowsnest Pass. They mined coal from there all the way to Fernie, so there are lots of good trails, double track, FSR - no parks. I lived in Sparwood for 4 years - good riding. No permits are required. There were big rebates on KTM bikes a few months ago - I don't think they are selling many in Canada. There is alot of $$$$ in Calgary these days, so I imagine boys are buying toys. email Blackfoot Motorsports and see what they have for KTM and BMW.
    See ya
  7. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct.

(.......and looking damn-foward to it! :D )
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Medicine Hat is grain country, open plain. Big Sky. Straight line roads, gravel.
    From my previous travels, the Crows Nest area, and basically southwest British Columbia is a good 175 miles due west of M.Hat. I've ridden that area for years, [born and raised in B.C.], Standup is correct, the riding off road and onroad is right on!
    I think the best dealer for someone around southeast Alberta would be Big Sky BMW in Missoula, Montana. I've been through there for service a few times, great guys. Beaudry Motorsports in Post Falls, Idaho [near Spokane, WA.] has always given me the best prices on mail order parts.
    Basically, any dealer in Canada is at a disadvantage, as all bikes and parts are brought in through BMW USA, so us guys north of the border have to pay for 2 sets of import duties and 2 sets of taxes. Actually, if you are thinking of buying a bike here, you should consider buying one in the states and bringing it across. Recent changes in Transport Canada rules have made the process much easier and cheaper, and are now allowing many bikes previously not allowed. All BMWs/KTMs issued in the states are DOT approved in Canada. Plus, with the devaluing of the US dollar against the Canadian, prices in the states are VERY attractive now. Worth a serious look when you move here.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  9. Namron

Namron Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Steve, you want BMW parts, try Anderwerks in Calgary. They deal direct with BMW and have had better priced than dealer through BMW USA for what I wanted.
    Norm
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Stand Up:

Tell your KTM friends Turple Bros in Red Deer is a decent KTM (RFS) dealership. I find it is better to get a part # from the net and order it at the counter (for LC4 stuff.) Demand atleast a 10% discount, after all you did half the work.

660SMC:

Advice on biking in Canada:
    1.) Ride across it. and 2.) Ride to my house. :beer

http://city.medicine-hat.ab.ca/

Don't worry about registering your bike. It is easy to insure and register a vehicle here. I have made up VIN numbers, wrote "Bills of Sale's" on napkins and the backs of cigarette packs and have been a menace to the motoring public for years without a problem. (Actually, 1 small problem - when I made up the VIN I was sitting across from the registry agent and she had the nerve to argue about the legitamacy of the VIN. I still got my plate.)

For used bike prices monitor this:
    http://www.buysell.com/browse/classpg.aspx?r=26&i=500&id=4&subclass=14
  11. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Sorry 660, I mixed up Fort McLeod and Medicine Hat.....you are wayyy over there. You'ld probably be happier with a more HWY oriented bike. If you could bring in a new BMW pay US prices & no duty/tax, you could ride it for a year and sell it for a profit. A buddy said there was lots of good riding in Cypress Hills Area. I was there when I was a kid and it's really cool cuz it's one of the few places in North America the glaciers never wiped out. We'll come down this spring and ridin'!

Brian
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Norm,
    They will be first on my list! Do they have a website?
    Ciao, Steve G.
  13. Namron

Namron Old Fart

Oddometer:
  14. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice chaps. :D

I might take you up on the offer, dirtydeeds!!! It won't be on the 660 though, that's for certain! I'd be crippled with that distance ....
  15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    What do you drink and how cold do you want it?
  16. machman

machman means well

Oddometer:
    check out http://www.albertadualsport.com/ it's a pretty good group of guys and has some good links to excellent riding areas in and around AB.

The guy who got me into dual sporting and off my GSXR1000 is from the Saarland region of Germany. In fact, we're having a Schwenker Abend this Friday, a tradition that originated in Germany. Can't wait!

In any case, if you have specific questions Stefan could answer them for you. He's back in Germany right now. PM me and I'll get you his email address. He put on about 15,000 kms in the year he was here.

Let me know when you arrive and maybe we can get together for a ride. The Hat is only about an hour from here, so pretty close... ...too bad you won't be here in May, I'm planning a ride n camp weekend at McLean Creek. It's a spot in Kaninaskis Country that is supposedly awesome.

Cheers,

Courtney
  17. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beer, cold and gallons of it! :slurp

Thanks Courtney. I get there towards the end of May / June but if I sell the 660 before coming there, It is also going to take a while for me to get something like a GS or 950 Adventure and a pickup / 4wd for the wife to drive about.Rest assured though, I'll be giving you guys a shout for some decent riding :thumb