New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sbushong1

Sbushong1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not know the internal workings of the dongle, but have had mine for about 10 months and have not had this experience. No noticeable change in fuel consumption with the dongle.
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Really? I thought the new 690's are similiar to the old ones in that matter, i.e. F & I maps for mild and wild are equal.

Edit: of course, using the wild throttle map can increase hooliganism ;) and that in turn would lead to a somewhat worse mileage.
  3. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    I have a 14' 690 and a 13' 990.

Let me clear up some common questions and comments for newer owners.

1) starting in 2014, the 690 cannot connect to tune ECU. Dealer must flash new maps.

2) twitchy throttle does NOT include 2014 and later 690s. When comparing STOCK maps, the difference between my 13' 990 and 14' 690 is incredible. Makes me want to kick my 990 to the curb.

3) The 2014 and newer 690s are ride by wire throttle and a dual spark motor, similarly found in the 690 duke.

4) Maps from 2013 and older 690s are completely different than 2014 and newer. The 2014 motor is a different animal and discussions of MPG, throttle response, and air fuel ratio (lean or rich) must be separated.

5) A slip on Wings exhaust with EITHER DB killer installed does not need a new map unless you do air box modifications.

I hope this clears up some questions for the noobs (like myself)

Lou
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
  6. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you ride a lot in full ABS mode? I saw no difference in mileage when I used to ride in the off road mode - rear ABS off, which is the normal default mode for the dongle.

Only lately have I been riding all the time in full ABS mode which is the one where you must turn the key with the kill switch off.

I'm getting seriously bad fuel range and can't figure why. The dongle does / can change fuel maps on the other bike it fits (1190?), so I was wondering if it is possible it mucks up the 690. The dongle does seem mysterious n it's workings.
  7. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always had the mode setting on the highest performance number.
  8. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    He is talking about the ABS dongle, which on other bikes also allows low quality fuel mode.
  9. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I haven't noticed that, but then again, I've not paid attention to my fuel consumption. I just fill up at every gas station I pass to be safe :rofl

In all seriousness though, I'm curious about this, if anybody is testing this out please share what you find. The Fuel Range with the stock bike is already an issue, I'd like to be sure to get the most out of it if this is an issue.
  10. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the ABS Dongle on my 2014 and it only affects the braking system not the FI and thus would not change fuel mileage. If you want to change the MAP setting for the engine on a 2014-15 You still have to change the setting under your seat. I have ridden my bike with the ABS Dongle doing its thing many, many times off road and it has no connection to my FI. None!!

To change your MAP settings-
    Set adjusting wheel under seat to:
    0= for poor fuel quality ( KTM suggests doing this for only 1 tank full )
    1= Soft Performance
    2= Advanced Performance ( only one I use ) Love the bike in this mode
    3,4,5,6,,7,8 or 9= Standard Performance- Rode in position 3 until I had 1500miles.
  11. paulooliveira

paulooliveira Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know if there is a thread about 690's fuel mileage?

I'm curious o hear about 2014/2015 owners mileages reports.
  12. sweetlou

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to removing the kouba 1 5/8in lowering link and swapped on the stock link. Damn this bike is tall!

It was such a pain in the ass to swap, I'm not going back. Anyone in the market for a link? It's the newer model, 1 5/8in drop. 700 miles on it.

Pm me
  13. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    1st gear problems.

A couple of days ago I was out riding, stopped to do some shopping, got on the bike (on a very slight incline), fired it up and put it into first. The bike immediately started trying to creep even though I had the leaver fully in.

Long story short: it now crunches into 1st -all other gears and gear changes are fine. Clutch master cylinder level correct and fluid is clean.

I did an oil change (but not filters - I don't have any at the moment), and the oil was clean but sparkly with very small flakes in the left hand oil screen but not so much in the front. :cry

Any ideas on what I'm looking at?
  14. sweetlou

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the clutch is dragging, not a transmission issue. How many miles on the clutch? From what I understand, on a hydraulic clutch there is no adjustment as it self-adjusts.

Lou
  15. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's about 16,000 miles. The problem came on suddenly rather than gradual wearing. The fluid level in the reservoir was at the correct level too (not raised as in clutch wearing).

I can hear the slave cylinder (Oberon), working when I pull the leaver. Maybe it always made a noise and I'm only just noticing it.
  16. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might be some air bubbles in the line. I heated my clutch up and somehow ended up with bubbles in the line and it would lurch in first
  17. sweetlou

Oddometer:
    Well, the hydraulic clutch automatically adjusts through the life of your clutch, so there is no "gradual"... Just one day the clutch is worn and won't engage properly.

Try bleeding first. If that doesn't do the trick, it's clutch time!
  18. Hatchet jack

Hatchet jack Big Whiskey

Oddometer:
    I just finished the Perun's tank bolt upgrade and was wondering if the lower bolt will hit the chain under full suspension compression???
  19. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the colour of thr clutch fluid?
    My oberon slave was letting engine oil into the clutch fluid and loosing clutch pressure.
  20. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you put it in from the right side. Like the head of the bolt should be on the chain side.
    I'm just imagining this as I'm nowhere near my bike and I did the bolt upgrade years ago but that would be my guess