New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel pressure is 10 psi so looks like I have an issue with the pump, regulator or in tank filter. I’m going to delete the in tank filter and fit a spare cycleworks pump that I have. If it’s still low pressure then its got to be the regulator...
    Thor_du and dad2bike like this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well at least you know where to look to solve it. Update when you finally sort it out. It will be good to know what it ultimately was.
  3. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taking the kids camping for a week today so will tackle it when we get back. My money is on the in tank filter.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found and seem to have fixed my idle/dying/backfiring problem.

When I desmogged the bike several years ago, I put a rubber vacuum seal nipple on the fitting going into the intake area of the head. That nipple was gone.
    I put a new one on. Did a 15 minute adaption and took the bike for a long test ride today, and it ran better than I can ever remember it running.
    I think the 15 minute deal must have helped a lot.

I was originally planning to put a 6 mm bolt in place of the barbed hose fitting but never got around to it. I tried that yesterday but could not get a 6 mm bolt to screw in.
    I think that must be some kind of tapered pipe thread. I remember putting a bolt in when I did this to my old 450.

I ordered a 6 mm pipe thread plug. I will put a hose clamp on the new nipple in the meantime.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The one about an inlet air leak were right on.

Another thing that got me checking that area was that I captured a waveform of the MAP sensor output and compared it to then one I got about a year ago. They were very different.
  5. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Start issue.

My 2010 has been balky lately. It would take two or three hits on the start button to fire. I chalked it off to a dirty switch, and figured I'd get to it.

This past weekend it would not start. Hit the switch, and she'd crank once, then the display went blank. It would come back on and crank once then blank again.

Bump started and ran just fine.

I'm thinking I'll check everything beginning with the battery and work from there (I'm pretty much a ham-fisted, addle-brained wrench).

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
  6. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Could look into valve clearance and the auto decomp as well.
  7. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    If the display goes blank, its probably an electrical fault, bad connection- failing under load (Turning starter motor). Check battery terminals, then all ground connections to frame, then all electrical connections to starter. Check connections on main starter relay, (the large relay at back, beside fuse block), then check aux start relay, ( smaller relay in front of main start relay). The display going blank suggests that there is a break down in the electrical supply to the ecu as well, so look for corroded or loose connections. Good luck!
    Kinsman likes this.
  8. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!
    I looked at the relays, even swapped start/lights (side of the road desperation). Did not realize there was an aux relay.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You get scientific about this and use a voltmeter and check various places for 12v with the switch on.
  10. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    My plan is to start with the battery and work from there. There must be a bad component or short somewhere.

I had jumpers from another bike on it for ten or fifteen minutes...no joy.
  11. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Bumping and running should mean the Reg/rectifier is good....Not starting even with jumpers looks like either a bad ground/loose-disconnected neg cable or a completely TKO'd battery.
    lanztek likes this.
  12. cms81586

cms81586 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone using a Giant Loop Coyote bag on their 690? I have a rack and pelican on the back, a tank bag, and want one more larger storage option without going to panniers and boxes. Running a Wings exhaust that stays cooler than stock.
  13. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Got a coyote here, using it with a small top luggage rack (AS). The luggage rack helps with keeping the bag from squashing the vertical tank vent (replaced the stock setup) - the coyote would fit a little better on just the bare bike though.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Wolfman E12 saddle bags with no supports. No problem with the FMF Q4 exhaust. For long trips I also use a Wolfman endure bag mounted over the end of the seat and over the gas fill tube.
    I have a rear rack and put a Rotopax on in and a tail bag on top of than.

I really like to have quick access to all my stuff. The relatively poor access is my main problem with the giant loop concept.

I don't carry camping gear. Just a change of clothes, a spare parts and tools. I mainly use the top bag to store clothes as I have to shuck them as the day gets hotter and to carry somef beer to the motel for the night.
  15. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those with Safari tanks, have you connected the Safari fuel lines to the main tank breather for fuel transfer? Or just normal routing to the bottom near the fuel pump?
    Wondering if siphoning through the main vent would put an extra load on the fuel pump.
  16. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    Normal routing to the bottom of the main tank via supplied adapter from Rally Raid. Don’t necessarily think through the vent would stress the pump though.
  17. Pragma

Pragma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went with the Oberon...install complete and clutch bled...so far seems to be working well. OEM Magura is junk...

Oberon Installed 090819.jpg
    FenceJumper09 likes this.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

The oem magura on my '12 is still going strong, just sayin'.
    angustoyou likes this.
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plenty of them are. And an absolutely unacceptable percentage of them fail.
    Nearly every day there's a post in the 701 or 690 threads, or on a bike-specific Facebook page, about another failure on a low mileage bike. And they crop up often on other size bikes in the line as well. KTM has an issue and they aren't fixing it.
  20. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Hmm, maybe the quality dropped during the years? Don’t recall seeing much about clutch issues at all back in the days.