New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I run the latest twin tanks plumbed to bottom of pump.
    On my latest trip last week tanks were not fully emptying, fuel light came on with I estimate a quarter still in the Safaris so with still over 150km to the next fuel stop I opened the valve to the RadeGarage tank that I also have.
    So at next stop filled up all tanks and the next day 200km into the day I blocked the vent to the main tank at the filler cap to see if the siphon effect would fully empty the Safaris.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to find out, 300km into the day on a sandy twisty track with sand dunes she threw me off and broke my fibula and parts of my tibia at the joint, that was late afternoon on day 3 of a 3 week Central Australia trip:muutt:doh but I assume that siphoning would work with no strain on the pump.
    In the link below is my recovery filmed from the Search and Rescue plane that was sent to investigate the activation of my PLB, evacuated by helicopter to clinic 300km back.

https://www.facebook.com/620336851315560/posts/2956846854331203?sfns=mo
    nivag likes this.
  2. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Wish you a speedy recovery.

What kind of boot where you wearing?
  3. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    I know, on the third day, thank you.
    Was wearing Alpinestars Tech7 and POD K4 knee braces.
    I'll be out of action for upto 8 weeks.
    Surgeon said and all I read is that it was a textbook ankle break.
    image.jpeg
  4. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, def. textbook ankle break. Very sorry it happened on the 3rd day on your three week trip. That kind of injury takes a while to heal.
    The Tech 7 are pretty solid boots for protecting the ankle. What happened ?
  5. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    Thanks, in about 4 weeks I have to go to the town where I left my vehicle at the end of the sealed road and from there collect the bike 500km to the town it was recovered to, then drive home 3000 odd km. Looking forwards to doing that now, even if I cannot ride.
    I'm not very good in sand and at that point at a right hand bend front wheel wants to go left and off track where there were long, wide ditches about 2" deep, didn't want to go in there so I probably over compensated and went down on hard ground all out of shape at 30km/h? not really sure.
    Purely operators fault, it all happened in a split second. Trying to implement advise from people and videos I've seen on sand riding, it probably would have been a different outcome if I had years of sand experience where subtle corrections are made as second nature.
  6. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 years ago my wife had a diabetic episode and fainted. Went straight down and rolled her ankle when she did. Your pic is almost identical to hers. You beat her by 1 screw. She can't use crutches, so we got her one of those knee walkers. She could fly.

Heal well my friend.
    a2zworks and lanztek like this.
  7. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    Wow, how is she now, fully recovered I hope. I have also been recommended one of those, for the moment I'm on a knee scooter which is also a lot of fun, and sometimes the cratches because the kids go for a ride when ever possible.
    Thank you dad2bike, I can feel it getting better day by day.
  8. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Knee scooter. That's what she had. Perfect bearings. She could sit side saddle and I could push her with a single finger. She loved it. She is sing very well. At 73 she's not running and marathons.
    a2zworks likes this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I smashed the bejeebers out of my left tibia with a green fracture of the fibula about two years ago. I was very frustrated at the lack of recovery time estimates. If it helps, I was walking without crutches or a "boot" at about the 9 week mark, but did use a cane. A couple weeks later I was limping along without that. At 4 months I had a limp but life was back to normal. Now I have a little pain and soreness, but you may not - I got five screws in my ankle, two more at the top of the tibia, and a titanium rod driven down from the top through the center of the tibia. So a little more invasive. The surgeon was surprised at how quickly I was walking unassisted, but I was very motivated. I rode my 1290SA [on the street!] at 10 weeks.
    Vegas800XC and a2zworks like this.
  10. Pragma

Pragma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, some people have fortunate, but I think a high percentage fail. I checked the new 500exc at a dealer and its running a Brembo master/slave hydraulic clutch. Also, the new 790 went back to a clutch cable instead of hydraulic...interesting indeed...
  11. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    My 2012 came with Magura master and Brembo slave. Master still going strong. Slave never failed but replaced with Rekluse adjustable. FWIW
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I'd say very few clutches fail, but the owners of said bikes are a noisy bunch! :lol3

As for ktm using a cable actuated clutch on the 790, I'd wager it has mostly to do with bean counters (same as the non-brembo brakes, etc.).
    hansi, MeinMotorrad, dansin and 6 others like this.
  13. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Just an update regarding the short jmt lever I linked to previously.
    This requires modding to fit the magura master of a '12, it's missing the small bump needed to actuate the clutch switch and the push rod is a tad too long.
  14. Canadian_Bacon

Canadian_Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the secret to properly/correctly installing a new fuel injector. Mine keeps leaking at the seam of the injector assembly. I vice gripped the injector to the assembly as tight as possible, then tighten the screw as tight as possible, reinstalled it. Tested it (revved the engine a bunch) with no leaks. All the O-rings are there and completely fine.
    Went riding yesterday and I'm leaking fuel like crazy...
    I've heard that your supposed to grease the small O-rings, but with what? (please be specific).
    I just want to ride... Lol!
  15. propje

propje n00b

Oddometer:
    siliconenvet
  16. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can try adding grease and reinstalling, but it you're leaking, you most likely have a damaged o'ring or a nick in the mating sealing surface.

I've used dielectric grease in the past, as well as white lithium. Just make sure it is a thin film.

Post back how it goes.
    MeinMotorrad, wbbnm and dad2bike like this.
  17. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I've used wd-40, grease and even light oil on injector o rings. All worked well in allowing the o ring to slip into position.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use plumber's silicone grease on nearly all my gaskets. I guess it works well since I almost never have leaks.

But like Sprouty said I think you have either damaged something or have made an assembly error if you are getting a bad leak.
    I have had my injector out a couple of times and certainly did not need vice grips to get it back in.

The grease is usually only the difference between a very minor weep and no leak.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never use something on the injector/fuel injection that won't disolve in gasoline. Otherwise you risk clogging the injector.
    KTM only recommends engine oil.
  20. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    The ride of last weekend got me thinking a bit about installing a steering damper :lol3

Currently trying to make up my mind on which mount provides more stability and ruggedness, got the list down to rally-raid steering damper kit 020 (picture 1) or the ktm "power parts" setup (picture 2).

The one from rally-raid requires one replace the lockpin from the keylock with a longer model, and probably a bit of cutting in the plastic - the ktm model seems to require no modding at all, only removing the top triple to put it over the steering stem.
    It's likely I'll go for the öhlins steering damper regardless of which bottom mount is used.

Any ideas or comments? My concern for the rally-raid model is mostly down to leverage, it's a long pin going up from the ignition barrel mount, the other model seems more sturdy although it's made of aluminium...

(from http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk...ccessories/ktm-690-enduro-steering-damper-kit)
    [​IMG]

(from https://www.ktm.com/en/powerparts/h...del=9703L8&category=KE3-16007245/KE4-16007252)
    [​IMG]