New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. bpowa

bpowa Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for your reply. According to many websites 76504230010 was superseded to 78904230010. https://www.ktm-parts.com/76504230010.html

In the end I just ordered all-balls for half the price. There was no way 78904230010 would have fit. Allballs came with an extra 2 stop washers for the bearings. I installed it on both sides of the swingarm, and works perfectly.
    Everything was the same as OEM except the 4 main bearings itself. The bearings has less needles but came with a retainer cup. Better construction IMO.

The reason why I replaced the bearings in the first place was because I removed the foot pegs to replace my kouba link. I had to slide the shaft out a bit and the oem needles fell out. I was not aware and tried to assemble shaft back together.

FYI the swingarm shaft itself was dry and mild rust in the middle where it mounts through the engine. It should be re-greased. One may have trouble removing it if more rust is built up down the road. My bike still has low mileage.

Couple photos for reference in case anyone has to replace.

Attached Files:

Vegas800XC and abandoned track like this.
  2. StevefrmGV

StevefrmGV MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer:
    I am Looking for SUMO wheels for a 2010 and any info or ride impressions. Thanks
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I saw some for sale in the flea market within the last week or so.
    StevefrmGV likes this.
  4. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A very late update on my fuel pressure issues back in the summer.... I pulled the pump and filter, dropped the pump in a bucket of fuel and keyed the ignition to prime the system. The pump ran fine but fuel sprayed from the filter/fuel pipe connection. The pipe clamp had come loose?! I tightened it down and it was fine, so left the filter in there for now. Will source some submersible 8mm fuel hose when its due a service and delete the filter then.
    sprouty115, renogeorge and wass like this.
  6. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In other news I’ve signed me and the big pumpkin up for Erzbergrodeo XX6 next year..... Did it back in 2017 and had a blast, its such as great atmosphere and an amazing race venue. My buddy is also doing it again on his HP2E.

E9CD206C-9944-4560-BD42-48865180E0CD.jpeg 8015D4A4-4E1C-41C3-8B54-D0AE8A5E86C3.jpeg
    h0lger, nivag, Force0321 and 6 others like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Madness.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  8. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys have my respect if you can make it up the first hill on those bikes. :clap
  9. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I see you got both the rr toolbox and a radiator brace, was there any issues mounting these together?
    Reason for asking is that it would seem the mount for the toolbox would interfere with the part of the radiator brace that connects to the Y-shaped part of the frame, also RRUK replied these do not fit together.

(I'm keen on purchasing the toolbox myself and thus interested in any issues you might've stumbled upon)
  10. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were 2 of those climbs up the quarry faces in 2017. Once you were over the ‘hump’ of boulders at the base of that one it was just a case of nailing it in 2nd and holding on and then just remembering to shut off as you reached the top. That one was taken out last year as too many people were coming off and it was causing a bottleneck. This vid is the second one which was a ton easier -
    JustBob and Vegas800XC like this.
  11. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was already on the bike when I bought it but definitely all fits together. I’ll have a look today and see if any of it has been modified.
    Anders- likes this.
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Much appreciated :-)
  13. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell it doesn’t look modified. Pic for reference - ignore all the rusty nuts and bolts!! :lol3

49338525-11DF-442A-B977-63FC92D9D2CB.jpeg
    Anders- likes this.
  14. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy new year chaps. Here’s to more big pumpkin fun in 2020

15. TexaNate

TexaNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need help with a coolant leak.

Riding the ferry after a camping trip, I noticed the leak. Motorcycle had not been dropped recently, and it has a radiator brace. Leak seems to be the upper middle part of the radiator, but I can’t be sure.

My ideas:
    - I thought KTM fixed the fan bracket rubbing thing for 2014+ bikes?
    - Could it just be a hairline crack from vibration? (bike has like 3,000mi)
    - Could have been a freak rock that snuck under the shroud?
    - Could I have improperly stressed the radiator when installing the braces? (years ago)

I’m thinking of putting a TINY dose of AlumaSeal (ginger/pepper/walnut shells) in the radiator to see if it plugs the leak. As in,
    enough to give a $3 fix a shot, but not enough to adversely gum up the radiator.

Tips appreciated for identifying the root cause of the leak.

Also, hit me up with any tips for a grad student living in Seattle trying to keep this lady running without bankrupting myself. (don’t get me started on the KTM dealers around here...looking for a reasonable and competent shop in town if you know any)
  16. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:

Auto rad repair shop cost bugger all repair $30 ?
  17. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put any random gunk inside the radiator.
    My first stop would be to remove all the plastic and fan from around the radiator, clean her up and try and find the leak first.
    It could even simply be the cap....
    Then you can decide what needs to be done next.

Keep us updated
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Yup, makes sense to not try and take any shortcuts here.
    If it's deemed too costly to repair you might want to pick up a used radiator from a crashed 690.
    ktmcrush likes this.
  19. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly this. Also, swapping a radiator isn't a big task, just make sure you bleed the air properly :)
  20. dansin

dansin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We managed to fix this rad on my mates XChallenge at the TT last year, yours should be easy! :lol3

6B1566FA-05FD-4268-AC23-84DC98059316.jpeg