New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Prod...o-SMC-Supermoto/KTM-690-Duke-Enduro-Menu.html
    I had those on my 09 690 E and the wife's Xchallenge for a quite a while. Pretty pleased with them. 7/8" or 1 3/8" lower than stock with two different tread designs. Local Oregonian mom and pop company.
    RoundOz likes this.
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Just a random post to say I ridden a few thousand "trouble free" single track, double track, highway and freeway miles over the past 3 weeks or so and when there's no problems I so love this bike!

I was riding with a couple guys both on 505 XC-F's in the California desert and figured those bikes were close to the perfect bikes for that type of riding and the 690 was more of "do anything" but could really compare. We swapped bikes several times - I figured my 690 had about 80lbs on them, but the reality was it wasn't near the difference I thought it would be. All agreed the 690 was only at a slight disadvantage in the desert whereas the plated 505 wasn't near as good on the freeway.

Rode thru Nevada, Utah, Arizona Colorado and have used it to pick up groceries, give the kids rides and was just riding with a couple 2 strokes in the Rockies... I think I got a better workout in than the guys on the 300 EXCs but certainly had just as much fun!

20210619_233722.jpg
  3. hansi

Oddometer:
    16284579981142768760063649461397.jpg
    First cs seal replacement on an 09 with 33500 miles. Not bad.
    scareraven, moto74 and Anders- like this.
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know everyone is different on the topic. I had good luck with the sit/stand compromise by swapping to the stock bend for the late model 300 2t's.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Not bad at all. I've done either 2 or 3 in 35K miles.
  6. TexaNate

TexaNate Riding hard or hardly riding

Oddometer:
    The extra weight of the 690 over my 450 doesn't bother me as much as the lack of ground clearance for those once-in-a-while situations.

rickypanecatyl and outbacktm like this.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the 690 you can dab.

Any thing bigger, you only put your foot down to throw your body away from the wreckage.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you feel the 690 did in deep tracked sand compared to the 500s? My experience is that it is not great. My 500 exc is much better.
  9. hansi

Oddometer:
    The 690 does OK in deep sand. Did the road BoLA to El Arco via San Francisquito a few years back. Lots of rutted deep sand with baby heads mixed in. Didn't drop the bike once.
    Never had the chance to test our 525 in sand before we sold it.
  10. gianttrack

gianttrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming from the big GS, my first surprise on the 690 came in a slow off camber turn. It went past the point of no return for the GS and an instinctive dab put it back upright before I had time to bail out.
    Dave
    dad2bike likes this.
  11. signit98

signit98 Nutcase... really!

Oddometer:
    Zuber, you're killing me smalls...
  12. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Looking for an RFR style carbon or aluminum bashplate, similar to LPR's. These are wide, usually incorporating storage boxes in the sides, which makes the outside edges wide enough to protect the engine cases. Venasche makes one too, but to be honest I would rather a carbon one, to cut down on reflected engine noise. Taking a mold from a loaned factory racing bashplate might be an option too.
  13. Shmikes_1

Shmikes_1 Perpetual Novice

Oddometer:
    Ok, long time reader, very rare poster...

Gonna ask a potentially dumb question and sorry if this is not the right place to ask, i've never really gotten to grips with where i'm mean to post.

Recently took the 09 690 enduro apart for complete rebuild. I've got a sinking feeling that the grounds/earth points are not as they were.

Currently it's..
    Braided (exposed) short cable from starter to frame where Tip over sensor is.
    Battery to just ahead of upper tank mount RHS.
    Wiring harness also to just ahead of upper tank mount RHS.

Is this correct??

Unfortunately KTM workshop manuals are not anywhere near as a good as BMW REPROM manuals.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a dumb question in the wrong place.

Mike
  14. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Perfect Fairings do one as part of their rally kit.
    It's not listed as an individual product but when I enquired I think (with the tool compartments and fluid reservoir) it was €450.
    https://www.perfect-fairings.com/product/ktm-690-enduro-adv-rally-kit-2008-2016/
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    These sound plausible. I remember my 2013 has a few different ground points in those areas.

I think that if ground straps are your biggest issue in rebuilding an 09 model, you are indeed lucky.

The parts fiche may show the ground straps.
  16. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    HAHAHA, if only questioning my grounding choices was my biggest issue.
    What is actually happening is that I can't get the bike to start and one of the things that has been stuck in my head since putting it back together is where the grounding points are/were.
    When taking it apart I remember that something was grounded at the point RHS just ahead of the upper tank mount. But i'm fairly certain it wasn't two things as it is now. If I can figure THIS small thing out and then rule it out I can mentally just move forward and focus on figuring out if it is any of the thousand other things i've changed causing it not to fire up.

That said, biggest lesson i've learned so far is that I must take pictures of everything when dismantling.

:baldy
  17. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been there. All I can say is that it does get solved eventually, and you will be the king of how your bike works once it's back and running. Good thing winter is coming.

Edit: All the best.
    outbacktm likes this.
  18. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I know I’ll figure it out eventually. It’ll inevitably be something that I’ve done wrong. At this rate winter will definitely be here by the time I figure it out. :2cry
    Sadly I don’t have a garage and this rebuild started in feb and has been plagued with small and massive delays waiting for parts to come from all over the shop, even lost two weeks in a straight panic after the SSD with all the footage of the build straight up failed. Actually thought my head was gonna explode as it happened on the day my bike wouldn’t start.

Just wanna ride it beyond the break in period while it’s warm.
    cal08 likes this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rebuilt my 08 450 exc many years ago. I couldn't get it to start. Rechecked "everything" and no luck.

A friend suggested new gas. I was skeptical because it hadn't been apart all that long.

But new gas made it start!
    bikerjim2000 and renogeorge like this.
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    cal08 likes this.