New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Shmikes_1

Shmikes_1 Perpetual Novice

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE = "wudu, post: 42988906, member: 322037"] You are not allowed to import the 2012 program for 2008-2009. You can only copy the tablets !!! [/ QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely, this is what I have done. :D
    Cheers
  2. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Hey, anybody know the exact length of the HT lead on their 09-13 ER or SMC. I think I may have messed up the ignition advance by trimming off too much bit by bit over the years.

Been looking through the many parts diagrams of the many KTM delearships I know of and nobody is registering having the coil (with ht lead attached) as in stock so I can't call and get them to tell me the length.

Cheers
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Electricity moves a lot faster than that piston... can't believe a minor change in length would have much effect. Corrosion otoh...
    Never seen a document listing the actual wire length, just measuring resistance of wire+coil to check whether it's within parameters.
  4. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Hey Anders.... I reckon over the years i've possibly taken off 10cm snipping here and there as I foolishly blame things other than myself for the bike not running. That said, first time (4 years back) I was all snip-snippy and it did actually solve the problem that I had at the time. Headed out to the store in the morning to get some new HT lead and thought i'd just ask if anyone knows the length as my research indicates that length changes resistance and therefore can advance or retard the spark. I'm sure its not a big difference but just thought i'd ask.

Just trying to be as spot on as possible as I still can't get the bike to start without throttle AND i've created a completely custom TuneEcu map for the 732 which does change the ignition advance map. So I figured it'd be poss a little foolish to change that map with the HT lead being possibly a 1/4 of its standard length shorter.

Does that make sense?

Cheers
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Yep, I see your point.
    Have you relocated the coil? I'm pretty much at stock HT length and there's simply no way I could get the plug cap back on with 10cm less :lol3

Since you mention not being able to start without throttle (kinda the opposite of how efi and rbw is supposed to work), how about popping off the airbox/or filter and have a look at what the butterfly does during start attempts?
    I seem to recall it should briefly close completely and then open slightly.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The length of the power lead will not change the timing in any significant way. Look somewhere else.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Electricity travels at about 1.5 nanoseconds/ft in wire. At 6000 rpm the piston travels one 4" stroke length in about 10 milliseconds. So you would have to cut off maybe a million ft of wire to impact timing.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man, didn't know there was gona be maths... But, yeah.
    Eresia likes this.
  9. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Yes sir!!!

Replaced the HT lead with the correct length anyway. At least i've got a few more years of foolish snipping to look forward to. :rofl
  10. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram for the new 2021?
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I just bought the PDF from the website. It had what I needed!
    wbbnm likes this.