New Android mapping app

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by random1781, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I kind of feel that this offers many features that we get with Locus, but with a better rendering engine. It's meant for the war fighter, but hell, we travel in some cases to similar places (offroad in the middle of nowhere) which means the requirements are similar. Worth giving it a shot. It certainly is feature packed.
  2. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to share!

Definitely military focused. It started seeing some trickle down during hurricane responses and firefighting efforts and has seen some pretty wide-spread use. I'm a bit biased towards it because it's a low-key and rare government success, where they actually do something right at pretty low cost that has helped a lot of people, and now it's being made open to everyone.

The other primary component to this is the ability to see other people on the map. By default, if you're connected to the same wifi network, you'll see everyone else who's also connected, and you can send messages, files, pictures, points, etc. Obviously you won't be connected to wifi on the bike, but you could setup a home VPN and have everyone on a group ride connect to it, for example. You still need service, but bandwidth requirements are pretty small. Not 100% sure about this version, but there's support for gotenna if you're really wanting to see people without a network.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Having a little trouble figuring out how to get TAK to use the SDcard. Certainly isn't straight forward.
  4. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get that you can generate tilemaps with MOBAC, but does this support vectorial maps? Like the stuff from openandromaps for instance.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their guide on the ZeroTier network is handy (really it's just a standard zerotier config), so once your devices are all connected to the same zerotier network, they all act like they are on the same LAN. I tested this out yesterday with a tablet and a phone.

Then you don't have to worry about running your own VPN. ;)
  6. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I unfortunately don't have a device with SD storage to go through it myself.

If you look at your device storage you should be able to see the atak directory. Maybe rather than copying *everything* over, just manually create the directories you'll need on the SD card in a similar format. Common subdirectories:

export - anything you choose to export in the app will be dumped here
    imagecache - as you're visually browsing maps, this is where tiles will be stored
    imagery - dump your own imagery files here. Off the top of my head, sqlite, geotiff, geopdf, geopackage are supported
    imagery/mobile/mapsources - contains definition files for tileservers
    overlays - dump any kml/kmz/gpx/shp files in here

Things to note:
    • In most (maybe all) cases, it'll parse subdirectories in those too, so you can keep your files organized if you want.
    • If you manually drop files in, you'll have to restart it for them to appear. Alternatively you can use the Import Manager tool to automatically bring stuff in without restarting.
    • Any overlays you import are immutable - you can't reposition points. The tools you use in the app to mark points, build routes, etc. are stored in the app's database and you can move/edit those. You can also export them as an overlay (i.e. kml, gpx, etc.) or you can bundle them as a Data Package, which will preserve the ability to modify them but not much outside of this app will be able to read them. That said, I think data packages are zipped files and marked points within those are just XMLs, so they're actually human readable. For anyone interested, check out this CoT document.

You might also try checking app permissions and see if accessing external storage is allowed. Not sure if this is actually a real permission or not, but might be worth checking.

It's been a bit since I've tried OSM-specific formats, so I can't say. I've had shp files with a large number of streets (~100k) and have been fine with that, but it does get a bit cluttered and you won't have good labels. Presentation of large vector street datasets isn't a strong suit, so you might be better off with a different app.

Thanks for pointing that out! The default means of location sharing is multicasting, so as long as you're on a network that doesn't drop multicast traffic, you should be good. On that note, if you're paranoid about privacy, keep that in mind too! You'll be broadcasting on the network your connected to unless you explicitly turn that off in the options.
    AdvNener likes this.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, but since it's my zerotier network I'm good with that. ;)
    random1781 likes this.
  8. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading out riding for the weekend, if anyone wants to check out the group/sharing features of this, I have a server you can connect to and try it out. PM me for details.