New Bicamapas Atlas GPS

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by CMWoody, Apr 6, 2006.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Somewhere, I still have my 60C in a drawer. I'll try and load it up and see what's going on. Works fine on the 276C, so I don't see why it won't work on the 60C. You might have to zoom in to under .8 mile to see the detail in the 60C, where the resolution on the 276C lets you see it at 1.2 mile.
  2. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if they'll be giving a discount to people who have previous versions? Dan
  3. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sent an email to Arturo which he answered. He said that when it is released there will be a discounted price, maybe in the $50 range, to registered users of a previous version. Dan
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot Gustavo for this great review :thumb. Based on what you and other have said I bought instead the Wanderlust map. Not better for sure but not bad at all and much cheaper ($50) since it includes the whole world with unlimited free upgrades of the map. There is no autorouting and readind the map on the screen is not too easy: depending on the zoom it's sometimes impossible to distinguish the name of a capital (or big city) vs. the smallest towns around. There is not street detail nor POI (at least for For Mexico). However, there is an impressively good number of unpaved roads/tracks and an even bigger number of very small pueblos so it makes it easier to "connect the dots" based on the ride reports and such. A great value IMO.
  5. Keefe

Keefe Rusty Ass

Oddometer:
    After a month of on/off research, i guess i'm getting the Bicamapas Atlas for Mexico. I am curious if anyone has tried or even heard about the Destinator 6.1.1 (in spanish), probably only available in Mexico. I like what i see.
  6. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
    Guess what will be announced tomorrow! :deal :clap:clap :clap :freaky
  7. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I've been bugging Alberto for a month about the release because I've got a short Baja trip coming up and wanted to wait until I could buy it all at once. So now it's time to pony up the "gulp" (I have a bunch of Scot blood flowing in me) $190.00 for all of Mexico. One region is $95 and all of Mexico (7 regions iirc) is $190 so if you need more than one region, you get it all. 206 megabytes worth so for those of you like me who bought one of the Garmin 2610's and got a 2 gig card, there should be room for all of the US and Canada, and Mexico. Here's hoping it works like I hope.
  9. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent Alberto an email about upgrading as soon as I heard about the new release but haven't heard back. Does anyone know if they are going to let us upgrade or are we going to have to buy the whole thing for $190.
  10. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got an email from him a while back saying the upgrade price was somewhere between $75 - $100 (I can't find the email in my files to give you the exact cost but I believe it's on his website also) for all of Mexico. Dan
  11. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
    Have a look here
    http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm
  12. gageezer

Oddometer:
    Now I have another problem. When I purchased the Atlas last year, I loaded it on an old laptop that had Windows 95. Now I've bought a Zumo 550 that won't talk to Windows 95.

Can I just mail myself the files on the Win 95 to my XP computer, install them, then order the update? Or is it not possible to move the files to another computer?

I sure hate to have to pay for this thing twice.
  13. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
    Save your old routes and waypoints then transfer them by email, memory stick etc to XP computer, then download the upgrade directly to your XP computer, it does not require the old version to run.
  14. gageezer

Oddometer:
    My sister has been visiting and was leaving this morning at 4:30 AM so, since I was up I decided to order the new Atlas. First, I had to figure out how to get into my PayPal account, since I hadn't used it in about 6 months. Then I sent the money to Bicimapas but didn't send my GPS ID number. Alberto sent me the link to download at about 3:30 this afternoon, with a message that I was to send them my unit number and they would send me the unlock code.

I just got an email at 7PM that this is my unlock code, but no code. :puke1

So far it's only taken 15 hours for a simple download. I love Mexico! Maybe I'll get it finished tomorrow. They're having 2 for 1 Margaritas at Tio Lucas. Think I'll head on down.
  15. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    I ordered it because they said it had street detail coverage of Veracruz.
    My copy doesn't! In fact the coverage stops at the city limits.:eek1
    I will call Alberto tomorrow and try to figure out what is going on.
    Not really worried, I have every expectation that Alberto will take care of me, he always has in the past.:freaky

Ride Safe,
    Vettster
  16. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    and have been playing with it. It's pretty good. It has a route I did from Alamos to Chinipas (on the way to Creel) which was all 4X4 dirt roads. I had to force the computer along the dirt road with several waypoints but it worked great after that. I tried going south from San Felipe to Alfonsina's. There is one curve that it won't route me around - a pretty minor annoyance. I just have to do it as 2 routes to get the mileage. I just started playing with it. Looks pretty darn good so far.
  17. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    My wallet aches. But next time we go south together, you get to navigate buddy :thumb

Jeff - sent you a PM. I'll try to get to you this weekend.
  18. gageezer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's an Atlas problem or a Zumo problem. My house seems to be .1 of a mile from where it's shown on the map. Everything in San Miguel is slightly off so, when you're driving down the road, you appear to be offroading. :puke1

Is this a map problem or a GPS problem and is there any way to fix it?
  19. gageezer

Oddometer:
    My V and the Zumo read the same. Google Earth and Mapas don't agree and neither one agrees with the gps.

What fun!

Art
  20. gageezer

Oddometer:
    I rode over to Guanajuato and the map showed I was off road about half the time.:puke1
    I'm going to download the track and try to compare it to Google Earth.
    Oh well, I guess it's better than World Map.