New Bicamapas Atlas GPS

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by CMWoody, Apr 6, 2006.

1. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    I have been in contact with Alberto.
    He says that they are working on fixing some of the glitches and that fixed version will be out in about a week.
    I don't know if this is one of the issues they are working on though.
    Might be worth your while to let him know about this.

Ride Safe,
    Vettster
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the Bicimapas about four months ago (or was it only three?), will I be able to update my software to the latest version?

Jamie
  3. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received an email and downloaded the V1.2 of Bicimapas. I hope they stay on this thing and get it right.:clap
  4. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know if it corrected some of the earlier problems. I plan to buy the upgrade before my next trip next month. Dan
  5. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded the upgraded version (1.2).

This one shows the streets of Veracruz.:clap

Now, to see if it stays on the roads while autorouting.:wink:
    What a good excuse to go riding.

Ride Safe,
    Vettster
  6. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on buying this map for our february trip, but don't know if it works like my Garmin maps. With those I have the program on my laptop and can then download to multiple GPS units. Is it the same with Bicamapas, or do we need to purchase multiple unlock codes for each GPS?
  7. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to purchase an unlock code for each GPS. The second unlock code, for all of Mexico, is $55 I believe.
    Yes, it works just like the Garmin maps. I will be using it next month on a trip from San Diego to Guadalajara and back and will post my impressions. I have the previous, topo maps from them and this version has some better road details but it does not have the dirt roads, trails, etc that the previous maps had, so be warned if you intend to go offroad. This version would be useless for a trip into the Copper Canyon for example. The new version also does not show many paved roads that have been paved for at least a couple of years. And because it doesn't show dirt roads, some of which are now paved, it doesn't show any road at all to places I know. So it's a mixed bag. Dan
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    It may not have as many dirt roads as the previous versions mentioned above (I don't have those), but it does have many dirt roads including those in the Copper Canyon area. I did the route from Alamos to Creel (mostly dirt 4X4 roads) and the road down to Batopilas, and those roads are in this program. In one of the other threads in this section, you can see a screen capture of a "route" from Batopilas to Urique and then to the railroad. I have been assured by others that "route" is a foot path. No way to tell when looking at the map AFAIK. The program will do a route and calculate mileage along it. Keeps some of the Adventure in touring. Maybe we can consider that a feature. :lol3
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Regarding CC:
    The new? ver The Duck had on his GPS, IMO, sucked sweat from sun-dried camel balls. Sure, there are some references, but I think with the guaranteed uncertainty/certainty of what's correct and what's incorrect, your sack is hanging in the wind. Reliable is one word I'd not use.

The paper maps - and all are wrong to some degree - are better, imo.

Unless I've missed something here, I think it would save money to just jerk off in a sock and pretend....:D
  10. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using Mapsource on my computer I searched for Batopilas and Creel on the Mexican Atlas and neither one got a hit even though they are shown on the map. Doing the same thing on my Zumo 550 they both were listed and shown on the GPS - strange, no? I'm going to give it a 5 or 6 week workout on a ride through Mexico starting the 1st of the year and will post my impressions. Dan
  11. jonz

Oddometer:
    I'll be down in Baja next month and will be able to give it a try myself. I'll definitely be taking paper maps too. :nod :deal
  12. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Baja section a couple of hours ago. I haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping it all goes relatively smooth.
    scott
  13. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    I just used the newest version for a CC ride - 2 days of the ride with Lone Rider - and I'd have to agree with the "sucked sweat from sun-dried camel balls" statement. IMO, the Bicimapas was next to useless for 90% of the 7 days I spent in Mexico.
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just used Bicimapas from Palomas down to Nuevo Casas Grandes, Mata Ortiz, and a couple of little side trips. It seemed to do OK and knew where I was and where I wanted to go.
  15. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just rode down to Oaxaca to follow La Carrera Panamericania. While I was on the trip I noticed that in some places there were no detail maps at all. When I got home I downloaded the tracks and found that about the last 150 miles to Oxaca and back were not recorded at all and all the detail street maps are not on the Map Source map. They seem to have disappeared after I loaded the maps onto the Zumo and then downloaded V1.2 to Mapsource. I tried downloading again but still have no street maps.

Any suggestions?

Art
  16. jonz

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the ADV Baja 1000 pit in Santa Domingo (race mile 202). I rode down from Tecate through the mountains. After the race, I rode south with Stinez. We rode past El Rosario, then southwest to the ocean, east to the highway on a rarely used dirt road (Gaspipe's "Devil's Asshole"), and then back to San Felipe along the Sea of Cortez. Lastly, I crossed the border at Mexicali.

It worked much better than sucking dried sweat off camel balls. :lol3 In fact, it worked great. All roads were in there. There are a couple of breaks in the program's roads where the real roads are connected (i.e. from Gonzaga to San Felipe and a coastal road north of Santa Rosalallita) so that auto routing doesn't work. But I considered that a minor problem. Though the last one did cause a bit of cussing.:dog All the street names I noticed (I didn't check every one :deal ) in Tecate, Ensenada, San Felipe, and Mexicali agreed with the names in the program. Occasionally, the gps/program would get behind on curvy roads or multiple quick turns and show me off the road by a ways. If I stopped or just paged through the 2610's options and came back to the map page, I was back on route.

So, for Baja, I give it a big :thumb
  17. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my way home after 3000 miles driving to Guadalajara and back using the Bicimapas Atlas on a Garmin Zumo 550. I'm glad I had it and it was useful but it cannot be relied on for navigation. I'd been on just about every road more than once so I knew when it was leading me astray and could ignore it's direction when I asked for routing. It was pretty good at showing me on the map where I was and what was coming up when I wasn't trying to have it route me. Many roads, however, were misplaced including some main highways. And in some cases main roads didn't show up at all. There was no street data for some large, important cities such as Zacatecas.
    The Zumo would sometimes get into a continuous re-calc mode that was hard to stop. I found the Zumo was best in normal map mode, not 3-D mode, and with auto-recalc turned off. It was useful in showing me how to get out of a city because I could see where the main highway was and aim toward it. In a couple of cases I asked it to route me to a nearby highway but not only couldn't it do it but it wouldn't even give me a straight-line direction. Don't remember the exact wording of the message on the screen but it was the equivalent of, "You can't get there from here." In one case I was only 4 blocks away. Dan
  18. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Blows goat balls? :D
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Yeh. I can't imagine it being THAT bad. :lol3