New Bicamapas Atlas GPS

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by CMWoody, Apr 6, 2006.

1. m0to

m0to Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer:
    It defaults and loads it into your Zumo memory. I haven't even tried to load it onto the SD card but I'm guessing that's a possibility if you're out of room on your onboard memory.

After you load the maps you can view them by dragging around the map. Or search for a city you know is in Mexico
  2. AusFletch

AusFletch Vincit qui Persevere

Oddometer:
    I tried to download the updated version three times but kept getting the message that some of the files were corrupted and the files won't open. I have not heard back from Alberto yet. Has anyone else had this problem??? -FLETCH
  3. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I deleted the whole new version then reloaded it and it worked great.:clap
    Then, today I got a message from Alberto telling me to delete the files and retry. He says that so many people were trying to download at the same time it crashed the server or didn't completely send all the info. Sounds reasonable to me. Be sure to delete everything first.:D
  4. AusFletch

Oddometer:
    That was exactly what they told me and it does make sense...especially since the download took over an hour and a half the first few times and only shows 12 minutes now. It is downloading as I type. Fingers crossed. -FLETCH
  5. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the notice of the update and installed it but it made the water between Baja Sur and the mainland appear as land. I deleted the new version, reinstalled 1.2 and now the water is back but i have two of everything on the Baja section with each point/name/feature offset from the other. I only have the Baja Explorer unlocked so I probably didn't need to do the update anyway. Any ideas besides a complete uninstall reinstall?
    scott
  6. AusFletch

Oddometer:
    I just re-re-redownloaded it (in less than 15 minutes!) and it works perfectly. -FLETCH
  7. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you just click the "Help" key once in a while.

I was trying to figure out how to make sure I selected all the maps to download to the Zumo so I looked at "Help" and it said to select the "Map" tool then hold down the left mouse button and drag it over the parts you want to select. I reduced the map down to where I could see it all and selected everything. Worked great and took a long time to load, so I assume it got a few maps I missed on the first go round.
  8. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :baldy

Now you tell me. I just got back from Mex and had a few holes in the GPS where maps I thought I'd uploaded didn't.

:D
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a little over half way through a 6000 mile, 5 week ride through Mexico. Right now I'm in San Juan del Rio, QRO. I downloaded the new version to my Zumo a couple of days ago but have been having problems that I'm working with Alberto to resolve. In some areas all the roads disappear and all you have on the screen are towns. In some areas everything was blank. I usually ride with the scale set at either 1.2 or 2 miles. I can have great roads, towns, etc showing then move into another area and everything disappears even though I'm on the same highway at the same scale. Alberto told me to try various scales and various detail levels which I've done. Mil Cumbres hwy which is east of Morelia doesn't show up until you get to a 50 mile scale. Below that scale no roads show in the area. Here in San Juan del Rio they show at either 5 or 8 mile scale. But go to a greater resolution than that and they disappear, such as at 2 mile scale. Dan
  10. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found Bicimapas to be fairly accurate in northern Chihuahua...it's a work-in-progress and Alberto has been helpful when I've had problems...it still beats Hell out of anything else available...
  11. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been in further contact with Arturo and sent him some screen shots. He confirmed that there are some map & detail rendering problems with his maps on the Zumo. He said he's working on a fix. When I actually could get map & other info on the screen I was happy with the new version except there's still a problem with the Search function for names of towns. The name of the town will appear on the screen but will not pop up when searching for the name. Hopefully there will be an update to V2 soon. Dan
  12. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stiriking....when you loaded the Bicimapas software into your Zumo, did you load it into the Zumo memory or SD card?

Thanks.....blumeemer
  13. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    The file was too large for the unit's memory so I loaded it onto an SD card.
  14. garyk

garyk El Mule

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 3000 mile hop to mexico.. I bought the full set of mats from bicimaps...
    My opinion... If you are a tar man.. ok. But it showed my cycle off the road most of the time. The cordinates or something are not spot on. Off road it really sucked...
    My opionion.. over priced and poor quality. Buy a good map.. My map was spot on. Not my GPS.
  15. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now trying to upgrade my BicaMaps but unable to do so on a Mac. Tried to download Mapsource on an Internet Cafe PC but on the Garmin website, they only offer updates to Mapsource not the actual program that comes on the disk with purchasing a new GPS. Left mine in Mazatlan. Can anyone upload Mapsource to a server so I can download a copy here in Monterrey?
  16. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try downloading it from Limewire. Look for a file that should be about 50Mb.
  17. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you can download Mapsource from the Garmin website if you first download the Training Center:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

then download the Mapsource update:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
  18. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Anyone know if the Bicimaps issue with the Zumo has been fixed?
  19. guzzimon

guzzimon viajero

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are several weeks into our trip to Panama, she has Garmin's Mexico maps loaded on her Zumo, I have Bicimapas on mine. The Bicimapas have MUCH more road and trail info, the Garmin maps have better coverage of city streets, complete with street names. The routing is occasionally questionable :eek1 with the Bicimapas, but in general it has a LOT more information for paved and unpaved roads, including the route from Tubares to Bauhuichivo and many unpaved roads in Baja...the Garmin product had only the paved roads. Both products, as well as the printed maps, show roads that were planned but never materialized, and don't show some roads that have been in place for years...but I have been very pleased with the Bicimapas version. We still use hers to navigate within many cities, but otherwise use mine always.

BTW, we will be leaving Saltillo tomorrow en la mañana to head out to Mazatlan to meet Glen H and to meet Mary's mother who is coming in on a cruise ship for a day...then down towards Guatemala to work on our español for a while...

guzzimon
    on the road
  20. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info. Just ordered up the Bicimaps for my zumo. should be good with the guia roji to cross reference.