New bike, new van, new friends, new year

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by scarysharkface, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hang in there, man.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I'm really digging the WRR. Of course, most of them are better bikes than I am a rider, but with the WRR it seems I can just point it and it will go regardless of terrain.

John
    TaZ9 and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    I'm doing what I can.

The struggle is real.

John
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Nice to see your daughter. I remember her from a family Jeep trip. She reminds me of my stepdaughter. Wishing you happy trails.
  5. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report and a huge THANKS for picking up the garbage. People can be pigs sometimes but we can all make the world a cleaner place if we pick up a little garbage where ever we go.
  6. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Me is on the road with my big head inside my big helmet..

[​IMG]

I do just kind of a minimal amount of poking around, and I always always always regret later not having poked around more..

[​IMG]

It's a nice leisurely ride and my heated vest keeps me exceptionally comfy in the chill. I kind of don't stop much until the water tanks, where I saunter a bit while killing a pop-tart or two and a gatorade..

[​IMG]

One to check out next time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The further South I get, the wetter it gets. There are actually *gasp* mud holes across the road!

[​IMG]

And of course, some idiots thought it's fine to go around. It's worse at the next one, which is within view of the South terminus of West Side Road.

[​IMG]

I walk it to see if I need to turn around or not. While doing so a ranger pulls up behind in his Jeep. I ask him if he's going through it and he laughs while saying no. It's deeper than my boots everywhere but the far right edge, where the silt from the Amargosa River has accumulated..

[​IMG]

Looking just to the right, upstream..

[​IMG]

He says he'll watch me to make sure I don't have any significant trouble, and as it happens I get through with minimal tire spinning (thanks, @NSFW for the clutch refresher) and we head our separate ways..

[​IMG]

Here you can see the same spot from the pavement..

[​IMG]

I'm curious if I can do this loop back to Furnace Creek on a bit less than a full tank (I have a full Rotopax as backup), and enjoy the views heading North at a very easy pace..

[​IMG]

I cruise up to the pump still under power, but it takes most of two gallons to fill up. Good times.

John
  7. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    It's always great to see either of the kids, and it's an excuse to visit great places. I'll make it to your neck of the woods one of these days and finally get to meet you.

John
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  8. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Matt and Ben got that going, and yes, it was a good thing to do!

John
    TrashBird likes this.
  9. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The area in and around Trona is absolutely stunning. I've not yet been out there on the bike, though I'm thinking I'm due for a trip that way this Spring. Really enjoyed reading your report.
  10. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

There's just soooo muuuuuch to explore in that region that I don't know how anyone can do more than scratch the surface. I need to work out a scheme to get more time off. Probably just aging-out of the workforce is my only option at this point, which I'm eligible to do in a bit under four years. Hopefully my health will hold and I can get some good exploring time in on the WRR.

John
    Bultaco206 and eaglescan like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I like your van set-up. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a crew van to haul the bike and use it as a base camp for adventure rides...

Great ride report BTW, makes me want to get back out to DV when I get back from Florida...
    TaZ9 and scarysharkface like this.
  12. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Ah. I figured surely I had snapped a pic at the pump.

[​IMG]

I don't recall exactly what I did after fueling up. I think I grabbed another sandwich from the inconvenience store and maybe took a nap? I should keep a journal of these things.

The days are short and the miles can be long and/or slow, so I took a short run up to Salt Creek. Very cool.

[​IMG]

A leisurely stroll along the boardwalk in my moto boots was kind of Zen. So quiet. So peaceful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm back at the van after dark. During my return I pulled-off for a couple of emergency vehicles headed North out of Furnace Creek and then once at the van I watched a chopper fly in from the East and return shortly thereafter. I was sipping some Makers Mark with my feet kicked-up, reminded of how fortunate I am in so many ways.

The next morning I'm up early and answering questions from nearby campers about my setup and the little Yamaha while fixing my breakfast..

[​IMG]

This guy has a sweet setup. He takes it offroad with the family. They're on their way from Vancouver-ish to Florida to watch a launch, taking a very circuitous route. He did an oil change in the parking lot when they arrived last night. Respect.

[​IMG]

Soon enough I'm off and headed to the hot springs at Tecopa, where I have a wonderful soak and watch a guy casually walk off with my favorite hat. The soak was worth it though.

Time to grab some road fuel in Baker on this New Year's Eve for the trip back East..

[​IMG]

John
    lvscrvs, drbuzzard, Davidprej and 7 others like this.
  13. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Thinking I want to see places I've never been works out sometimes. Othertimes, I find myself parked in a lot next to the water in Lake Havasu City. At least it's New Year's Eve.

[​IMG]

The night was comfortable and temps are mild in the morning.

[​IMG]

London Bridge appears to be holding its own despite reports to the contrary.

[​IMG]

I can see how this might be a fun area to live if one owned a boat.

[​IMG]

Just down the road a bit the scenery changes..

[​IMG]

Hey look, an out-of-focus selfie!

[​IMG]

There's a tavern about a mile off the highway just South of Flagstaff that serves up a mean green chili burger. Oingo Boingo on the sound system, followed by Otis Redding. My kind of place. Mountainaire Tavern, I think is the name.

[​IMG]

Next overnight is in Gallup, New Mexico, where I wake up to a little bit of snow and some spectacularly slick roads..

[​IMG]

One sees much when one travels.

[​IMG]

And as quickly as that, I'm back home. Next time I'll bring better weather and ride more.

[​IMG]

John
    drbuzzard, Davidprej, Mudclod and 6 others like this.
  14. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    That MPG...wow! :bow
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Swing by any time. I'm in a luxury apartment condo that has guest suites for our visitors. You'd have your own apartment. I've ridden to both Jasper and Banff for lunch. I can also hook you up with west country trails I'm familiar with from my own Jeep days.

Duane
  16. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    A slight headwind is the difference between okay mileage and terrible mileage. I still haven't figured out the differences between tow/haul mode and not, because as far as I can tell the shift points are identical. It probably has more of an anti-sway profile for braking? I dunno. But yes, that seems respectable for a vehicle large enough to stand up in and live out of.

John
    drbuzzard and Bultaco206 like this.
  17. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    On my Ram it holds the shifts longer and downshifts sooner, keeping me in what it suggests as the right place in the powerband. If it senses enough weight on the highway it will lock me out of 8th thus keeping the revs up.

When I use my hitch carrier I don’t use Tow/Haul.
  18. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    I played around with it when we pulled a trailer to Big Bend and back in November and I couldn't discern any difference then either. I've got the 6-speed transmission with the V-6. So maybe I just haven't had enough of a load? I did a lot of experimentation in the mountains as well, with the same results. If I were a bit less credulous I'd think the switch connects only to an indicator on the dash.

John
  19. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    My guess is you don’t have enough load, no. But being a 6-speed with the Pentastar it’s probably a completely different set of parameters than my 8-speed/Hemi.
  20. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's mud, and then there's mud. You guys were into mud with a very high clay content, and can get slicker than snot when wet. And it's no fun to fall in it.
    The SW is still a wonderland, as you know, if you just get your ass out there.
    I've been exploring the SW since the early 70's and the magic hasn't worn off.
    Are you liking that 250? I rode a KLR 250 on the trails in the mountains above Boulder and always had enough power.
    TaZ9 and scarysharkface like this.