New bike, new van, new friends, new year

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by scarysharkface, Jan 16, 2020.

1. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I love it, seriously.

John
  2. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Here's my Spotwalla track for the wanderings..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the most efficient routing, but I got there and managed to get back here so we'll just call it good..

John
  3. B.Bart

B.Bart Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the ride report, thanks for posting. Reading your RR inspired me, also located in Indiana, if the weather isn’t great for riding pack up and head to where it is!
    TrashBird and scarysharkface like this.
  4. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!

John
  5. TrashBird

TrashBird Rippin' Pigeon

Oddometer:
    This is great John! What a journey! You found some freaking gorgeous places. Love the road with all the Joshua Trees.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  6. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    That's actually part of the SoCal BDR, North of Cima in the Mojave Preserve. I love it there!

John
    TrashBird and black 8 like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    What foodi destination are these breakfast tacos?
  8. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Snooze in San Diego.

Carmelita's Mexican Grill in Borrego Springs has a killer breakfast burrito that's worth checking into as well.

John
    black 8 likes this.
  9. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the WR250R family. Looks like you're off to a great start with your adventure travels. I find the more I ride my WRR, the more my other bikes get neglected. When warm weather gets here in a few months, you should bring your WR out and explore Colorado. It's the perfect bike for this part of the country.

Ride Safe,

TaZ9
    20190828_141207 (2).jpg 20190828_142441 (2).jpg
    Bors, Mudclod, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and his family are stationed in San Diego. I was out there in September but didn't take the WR. Borrego Springs is on my must ride list.

Thanks for posting your great photos.

Ride safe,

TaZ9
  11. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I listen to Dead Man's Party about once a week. I never tire of the horn section.
    scarysharkface and TaZ9 like this.
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you for posting your adventure. I enjoyed reading about it and seeing the pictures.
  13. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My KLR 250. I had a lot of fun riding this bike in the mountains above Boulder.
    TaZ9, CamoColton and scarysharkface like this.
  14. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. I like that hitch carrier. Kind of like the hitch carrier equivalent of my Rampfree trailer. My Winnebago has a long rear overhang, so I was thinking of getting a custom made hitch for the front and getting a carrier. But I hate pushing bikes up onto a carrier. Yours solves that problem.
  15. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    It's rated for 375 pounds. I wish they made a two-bike version that would carry 600 pounds. That would be incredibly handy. My van has a drawbar limit of 700 pounds, so maybe the answer is to fabricate one with a larger plate and appropriately-heftier build for two bikes. I inquired with the company about that but haven't gotten any response. At any rate, I am terribly fond of that carrier. I thought about putting a receiver on the front for a second carrier, but I think issues with the lights and such are probably more than I'm prepared to tackle.

John
  16. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    My wife liked what she saw enough that now we need to pickup a two-bike hitch carrier.

[​IMG]

The van's hitch is rated for 700# on the drawbar. These on a carrier will be just about that heavy but it should work. I simply don't have the time or skills at this point to fab a nice hydraulic carrier. The van is considerably over-sprung for what's inside. I can't wait to ride some desert with Tracy.

John
    Davidprej, TaZ9, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  17. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing they don't offer such a two-bike carrier, or offer a reply because the weight of a second bike that far out in space (measurable in feet) would be a heck of a lever and likely would put more lb-ft of force on the receiver hitch than a 700# tongue weight would (the center of a hitch ball being only a few inches out from the face of the receiver, and the other end of a 700# tongue weight being held up by trailer tires).

This is just an assumption though.
  18. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 500 pound dead weight rated hitch on the front of my Excursion. The 500 pound rating was for the length of a normal hitch. I measured the centerline of the carrier to the hitch and called an engineer at Curt. He gave me guidance on how much to reduce the weight rating because of the lever effect described by the previous poster. I had an XT225 with a lightweight aluminium carrier and I was right at the limit.
    scarysharkface and CamoColton like this.
  19. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    I talked with the Curt people when I ordered my hitch, and explained how it would be used. The person I spoke with indicated that the static load would be higher at that distance from the hitch, but that the momentum of two 300# motorcycles would be significantly less than that of a loaded trailer on the system in driving conditions. I.E. a trailer with a 500# tongue wait at rest will exert significantly greater loads as you pull it up and down hills and curves than the motorcycles on the carrier will.

This makes sense to me.

Of course, I'm not fond of regular hitch carriers and the thought of loading two bikes onto one is just about twice as disheartening as loading one bike.

John
    Davidprej and TaZ9 like this.
  20. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very true. I was just giving it the old community college guess, didn't think of the dynamic loading.