New bike... tell me Im wrong!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mmoore89, May 21, 2019.

?

1290R or R1200GS

1. Rallye because boxers are best!

34 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. 1290 because POWER!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. mmoore89

mmoore89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I have been really happy with my bike for the last years, its a 2012 R1200GS Rallye (The red and white ones).
    Over the years I have had it, I have kept trying new bikes, but never seriously thought anything was worth the extra money.

However recently.... I have started craving a bit more go from my bike and as a result its down to;
    2018 KTM 1290 Adventure R - £12500 OTR NEW
    2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye Sport - £12500 OTR Approved used 5000 Miles (2 years warranty and breakdown)

I didn't get a 1190 Adventure R as the KTM support was patchy, and reliability wasn't great. Most of this seems sorted on the 1290R.

I have driven both, and love aspects of each;
    KTM = Power, Power, Power, maintenance intervals, ride height
    BMW = Handling, Handling, comfort, ease

I probably prefer the R1200GS Rallye (specially if I can get it with the pro suspension), but I just feel like I am conning myself as the 1290R is such better value, and ultimately also a better bike in many ways.

Tell me Im wrong?
  2. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    You're wrong......
    turnerm and lewisjr1 like this.
  3. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, you're wrong. Been down the KTM road. Won't speak ill of them. The 500 EXC and the 690 are venerable beasts in their respective segments, and I'm a KTM fanboy, but the adventure bikes aren't up to the same levels as the GS. If you're looking for a fat, slow dirt bike, then go with the KTM. Or if you're looking for an offroad beast that can mange the road occasionally go for the KTM 500 EXC-F :-)
  4. CaptGS

CaptGS '18 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    "You're wrong!" about questioning and second guessing to purchase of the "one of the most popular bike in history" which is a GS... Yes KTM is a good bike too but what is most important to you and to your purpose? Ease of handling, comfort, support, second or even third hand market value? Then get the GS.
    Plus if you were "really happy" with your 2012 GS, just imagine how much you'll be happier with your 2017 GS Rallye Sport????
    For me? No brainer... GS all the way!
    WacoDirtryder likes this.
  5. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-5-21_10-22-4.jpeg

Both are great bikes! Pick your poison and run it into the ground.
    There are some great threads on blue vs orange, and I have done the swap myself.
    The support issue (dealer network) that you spoke of is the main reason I'm in the BMW camp, especially in light of the electronics on these adv bikes.
  6. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    If interested in paved road use only/primarily get the GS...
    If interested in gravel/dirt/off road use primarily then get the KTM...

Either way you can't go wrong.

:beer
    KDXRC51, BluByU and Boxerbreath like this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    what he said^^^
    But if I was going to buy a new GS I'd get the 1250...
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Get both.
  9. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't stop smiling the whole time I was test driving the KTM; but I ended up with a GS Adventure. The BMW is kind of cool with the big jugs and all. It'll age better too. Look at the Ducati as well.
    black 8 likes this.
  10. mmoore89

mmoore89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha i had exactly the same!! But then I tried it again and it still felt stupid fast but the novelty wore off a bit...

Interesting comments from everyone! Thanks for the responses.
  11. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are reasons why you have loved your GS, some of which may not be apparent until they are gone. I have owned a KTM 1090R, just gone back to an '18 R1200GS.

The KTM was a great bike, very capable off road and fun to ride. However... it required work to get the airbox sealed, it has chain and sprockets to maintain, it ate front brake discs every 12,000kms (I was on my 3rd set when I sold it), rear shock adjusters seized, wind and rain protection are not great, heated grips are a bit shit, suspension was harsh on the road and the spoked wheels leak air.

I'm sure all of these can be fixed and worked around but the GS just works out of the box for me. I'd be keen to get a smaller KTM for off road use but I don't want one for my main bike/transportation.
    CaptGS likes this.
  12. chillerman

chillerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like big jugs as well! :D
  13. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just moved from a 1290S to a 1250GS

KTM is a phenomenal bike, especially engine wise, but the GS handles better, especially with a pillion vs the KTM.
  14. Dreedr

Dreedr Ready to Roast

Oddometer:
    I got rid of my KTM 1190 as soon as summer hit last year due to the heat. I tried every one of the mods that are supposed to cure the issue. They didn’t fix it.

The seat left me feeling like I was sitting on a heating pad. Will never own another KTM with a vtwin.

Now I have a ‘16 GSA. Love it.
    WacoDirtryder likes this.
  15. dbyker

dbyker Dave

Oddometer:
    FWIW no experience with KTMs and no bias against them but rode my '18 R12GS Rallye Sport 250 miles today swiftly over a mixture of paved & gravel mountain roads and remain convinced it is a staggeringly capable and reliable bike and will remain so well into six figure mileage. Add in the BMW dealer network, aftermarket support and user community and, for me, it's no contest.

Dave
    RunninRanger likes this.
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    You should start similar thread in Orange Crush as well. Then, tabulate all of the results, reject the flyers, do the average and whichever bike comes on top, that's the winner... :hide

I wanted to vote for '19 Shifty but there was no such option therefore my vote goes towards your current one - it has tons of life left in it and it's free to keep!! :D
    KDXRC51 and VENTURA_FTW like this.
  17. mmoore89

mmoore89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help.
    Im heading down the BMW route, but I need some help!

Im trying to get a Rallye with the Rallye sports suspension (In all honesty I probably don't need it, but I like the extra height and mainly I want it!)

A dealer has just told me the Rallye sports suspension with the extra ride height is an option that was not combinable with ESA, is this correct?
    My understanding was that it Rallye sports suspension was available with D-ESA.

Hope someone can help!
  18. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds off to me. My MY17.5 1200GS Rallye and my MY19 1250GS HP both had/have sports suspension with ESA. I went this route too as I wanted the more off road bias suspension that the adventure models have.
  19. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    I had the same question a few years ago. Ended up with a 13 multistrada, I love it. But I kept my oilhead gs and my airhead. Love them boxers, but the power of the duc.......
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Based on your original post, you seem to be in UK (prices in GBP) so you should ask in local forums over there what specs Rallye bikes came in or were available in UK... Different markets have different spec bikes so just because an option is available in NA, either as standalone or in a package, doesn't necessarily mean that UK has same option the same way - ymmv...

The best option may be to get the specs of particular model year available for your market - may have to check few dealers as they should have that, not that all of them are keeping the old specs but some do...
    Rockred and STLR like this.