New boy with a stelvio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Goat78, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks
    first post so thought I'd introduce myself. Been riding just over a year, started on a bandit 600 but just felt no love. I'm not a quick rider preferring to bimble about in comfort and take things in, the screamy inline 4 just isn't me, plus was uncomfortable for my other half and she rides pillion regularly. Saw what looked like a well sorted 08 stelvio and she came home with me late last year and I moved the bandit on earlier this year.
    Loving the bike so far, lots of character, comfortable and good fun. Got a big trip being planned with three months in the US, not sure I want to ship the guzzi so considering selling it in the uk and buying a bike in the US and selling that at the end of the trip (any advice on doing that gratefully received even if its don't do it!).
    I'm based in East London if anyone is up for a ride out at some point.
    cheers

Dominic
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

bobw, aftCG, twowings and 2 others like this.
  2. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club! Do you know if the engine has had the flat tappets replaced by rollers (Rollerized)?

As for your trip, have you checked with James Cargo or other shipping companies? Might be better than dealing with the hassle of buying/selling a bike here.
    aftCG likes this.
  3. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah its been rollerized so all good there. Was thinking about shipping a bike, not sure I want to ship the guzzi though. Need to sort out what I'm doing soon though.
    bobw and Lupin 3rd like this.
  4. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Love that color. If and when I get another Stelvio I plan to re paint it that fire engine red
  5. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah it does look well in red. I'd quite like the frame and other plastics to be the same matt black/ dark grey that the headlight surround and mudguard are.
  6. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Considering the amount of sorting needed to make my Stelvio "mine" I wouldn't want to leave it home and take my chances on another one.
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  7. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah can see where you're coming from. I've not had the bike that long and it would need some money spent on it to get it to what I would like for the trip (stock luggage is quite small and not that practical for a start). Also I'm quite pragmatic when it comes to these things, I like the guzzi but it is just a machine and a means to an end. Quite happy to sell it and buy something whilst in the US. Nice opportunity to try something different and then chop that in, come home and buy something else when back in the UK, or even chop the guzzi in for something else here in the UK and ship that, but if I do that I have to contend with the madness that is London bike insurance again.
    bobw likes this.
  8. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only weirdos buy Stelvios. If I had to buy and sell (and I like the idea)I would buy something easy to get rid of.

How long is your trip, and where?
    Lupin 3rd and HarveyMushman like this.
  9. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trip is 3 months in the US. Wouldn't be looking for a guzzi there, more likely Africa twin, Ktm or triumph tiger/ explorer.
    aftCG likes this.
  10. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buying and selling in the US is a PITA. I've done it several times but probably wouldn't again unless I could do it through a friend as it were, buy the bike in their name and get them to sell it when I'd finished with it. Why? Well first of all in some states it can be virtually impossible to register a vehicle as a foreigner, doubly so if you can't show a valid local address. Also when you come to sell people get suspicious if the bike is owned by a 'Furriner' and will either lowball you or look elsewhere because they'll assume something dodgy is going on!

A mate of mine rented a Triumph Tiger in, (I think?) Wisconsin. So non Harley's are available. Expensive? Yup, but a lot less farting about!
  11. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cheers @motomoda I'll definitely bear that in mind.
  12. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    IMHO The best bike to buy-ride-and-sell in the US would be a Suzuki V-strom. They're cheap and reliable, friend of mine bought a used 650 for around $2000 a couple years ago and rode it across the US for the summer.

That said, I'd go back to my original suggestion of shipping your own bike, maybe AirCanada?
    aftCG likes this.
  13. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't be the German guy in Yellowstone who approached my son and I on our bikes, who told us he checked on the cost of transporting his Triumph and it was way out of line.

Dude wanted to be on a bike real bad.

Agree a vstrom would be ideal. They never get down to $2000 (around here) or I would have bought at least one by now.

But if you bought one at $2500 and fire sale it for $2000 when you're ready to leave it wouldn't owe you a thing.
    Mooney 78865 and Lupin 3rd like this.
  14. Goat78

Goat78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking more and more likely we'll buy. Have spoken to one shipping company who said there was no way to ship out of Anchorage, only out of Canada (Vancouver possibly via white horse), a company can't transport a foreign vehicle on our behalf into Canada so we would have to ride it to drop it off in white horse but then would need to get back to anchorage for our flights which just isn't practical. V strom is a good call. Waiting to hear from other shipping agents if they give the same info.