New Brunswick highways that aren't the TCH

Discussion in 'Canada' started by AngusMcL, Aug 30, 2019.

1. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about trying my first Iron Butt ride sometime soon so I'm trying to come up with an interesting route. Living in Halifax leaves me with limited options, so I figured a loop through NB could work... something that isn't an out and back on the TCH...

The end goal is 1000mi (1600km) in a day. I'll work in baby steps up to that, but I've already knocked out a few 1200km days.

First route im looking at is heading east out of Sackville toward the bridge on the #16. Left at Pt Elgin onto the #15 and head North to Shediac. Keep heading North on the #11 to Miramichi. West out of Miramichi on the #108 to Perth-Andover. Then the #2 (TCH) all the way back home for about 1200km.

Option 2 would be the same to Miramichi but then take the #8 to Fred, the #7 to St John and the #1 back to the TCH for about 1100km.

Either of those routes prettier than the other? Road conditions better on one than the other? Would appreciate some local NB feedback.

Thanks,

A.
  2. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at going north from Miramichi instead of west.
    I was up to the Miramichi last week and went up the coast to Shippagan
    (rt11) over to Bathurst, across route 180 to Mt Carleton and then down to fredericton via 385, 109, and 105.
    Although route 11 may be too slow up the coast for an iron butt ride, I think route 8 north from Miramichi, 180 west to the 385 then south to Plaster rock would be a good route.
    Route 180 west from Bathurst is in very good shape and no traffic at all. Straight through the woods with nothing between Bathurst and Saint Quentin 385 down to plaster rock is good as well, but a bit slower and deer may be an issue.(I saw lots). Beautiful road and scenery but maybe too slow ?
    From plaster rock you have the option to head south to Freddy and home or maybe across the 108 back to Miramichi and then slab it home.
    1350km using Freddy or 1250km using Miramichi on the way back.
  3. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff @russell44! I'll play around with that in Furkot a bit and see what it looks like!

Thanks,

A.
  4. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just stick to the 4 lane here. You can make MUCH better time and you are far less likely to hit a moose.
    AngusMcL likes this.
  5. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the back roads in NB, but they are no good if you want to cover distance in a short time.
    AngusMcL likes this.