New Calsci windshield for R1150GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by marklawrence, Oct 20, 2008.

1. marklawrence

marklawrence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    • Vented for minimum turbulence and back pressure.
    • Excellent coverage of arms, sides, head.
    • Shape designed to compliment the lines of the GS.
    • Made from 4.5mm thick (3/16") DOT certified impact resistant plastic.
    • Laser cut for precision aerodynamics and fit.
    • Uses stock BMW mounting hardware: no holes to drill, no modifications of your bike.
    • Lower wings built in, not added on.
    • Compatible with BMW hand guards.
    • Uses stock windshield rake adjustment system.
    • Includes storage cover, micro-fiber cleaning towel, and mini-spray bottle of windshield cleaner.
    http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1150GSprod.html

2. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Should be moved to vendors...

Didn't stop me from ordering one... X-Tall / UPS Ground for $277 and change.
    Very informative web site, Mark.
    Hope this does the trick for me (6'5 34" inseam)... I was considering Aeroflow for the winter when I saw your link.
    I currently have a CeeBailey on my 04 R1150 GS Adventure (with Tobinators and GS kit).
    The GS and GS Adventure windshields use different mounts. The Adventure needs a conversion kit to mount a GS screen. You should note the difference on your site... perhaps offer the kit for a reasonable price.
    Lots of Adventure owners here...

:bubba

I'll get back to the rest of you FFs with a review after I get a test run or two under my belt.

Later
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed
  4. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    Is the buffet gone? By the way, what's the ADVrider discount price? :)
  5. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Update 1:

Got my Calsci screen yesterday. Fast shipping for ground (CA-NJ via DHL).
    Nicely packaged... smaller box than I expected. This is due to the detachable mounts, I suppose. Oddly, the hardware to mount the screen to the brackets arrived via USPS Priority several days earlier.

First impression is that it "feels" thinner than my Cee Bailey (+4;+5) screen. Both claim to use 3/16" material. I'll throw a micrometer on it before my next update.

I had tobinators attached to the Cee Bailey on my 04 GSAdv (with the necessary adapters) when I ordered this screen.
    I was pretty sure I had what I needed to get the Calsci attached...WRONG !
    YOU NEED THE STANDARD R1150GS (non Adventure) WINDSHIELD MOUNTS for this screen to be mounted out of the box. The windshield holes are drilled for the narrower spacing of the GS mounted brackets. The Adventure mounts are easily off 2" (wider) from the holes on each side.
    If your standard R1150GS came with an OEM Adventure screen (many did) these brackets will not fit!

I had some play with the tobinators so I got "close" to getting the screen mounted to my satisfaction. I would need a few new bolts, a couple of spacers (size TBD) and a rubber gasket of sorts.

I decided against modifying the install and ordered the proper GS mounting parts from Max BMW. Go to their parts fiche for the R1150GS and get everything except the windshield. Make sure you order the parts for the non Adv. Both windshield diagrams are listed for the R1150GS.
    Cost: $29.xx /shipped. I should see it middle of next week.

Look for update 2 soon after.
    :ear
  6. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    :lurk :lurk :lurk
  7. xaphod

xaphod n00bin' around europa

Oddometer:
    anxiously awaiting this update - this shield looks awesome, and i'm in dire need of replacing my 1150GS stock shield now that I have a bit of autobahn in the commute.
  8. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    First of all let me send props to Max BMW.
    I ordered the regular R1150GS windshield mounts from the Troy NY store and I received them EXACTLY as promised. I ordered the beginning of last week... was told the order goes to their CA distributor who ships to them on Thursdays. They in turn receive the order the following Tuesday. I had the parts in my hand yesterday. Nice job Max!

R1150GS Adventure owners take note: Several additional conversion parts are necessary to mount the Calsci GS screen to the GS Adventure.These are listed on Front Panel Carrier diagram #46_0603... the part numbers are 46632328697 & 46632328698 for Reinforcement (L & R) and 46637653732 for the Fillister Head Screws (you need 2). These parts ain't cheap at almost $30/side so it's something to keep in mind.
    That puts the total price of the hardware at approx. $80 + shipping (about $90 total).
    I already had the GS to GS Adventure adapters (for my tobinators), so I could proceed with the install.

I put a micrometer on the Calsci and it is indeed 3/16" thick. I wasn't wrong about the Cee Bailey feeling thicker... it is.

The windshield mounts nicely to the regular GS mounts. It's secure and seems to stay put after tightening the four mounting bolts.
    My Easton bars with risers and stock Adventure handguards stay a good 2" from the screen lock to lock.
    I positioned the XTall Calsci screen in its most vertical position and took the bike for a spin.

First impressions are positive. The shield is narrower and seems to slice through the air better than my Cee Bailey. It is also at least 4" taller. I like the side visibility offered by the narrower screen. There was virtually no buffeting during my test run. Nice clean air... even cleaner if I lowered my head a bit (I'm 6'5). I was wearing my Arai HD (with the beak) and travelling 50-60MPH. I hit 75 a couple times, but not for enough of a stretch to consider it a test.

I'll post again with comparison photos between the mounted Calsci XTall and Cee Bailey screens... and I'll update my impressions at an extended 70+ mph.

I think this may be a keeper for me, so look for my Cee Bailey in the Flea Market soon.
    :ricky
  9. xaphod

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report :clap
    Let us know what it's like at a lower heights & higher speeds - this is sounding like a great alternative to a $500 aeroflow. I'd just be going for the medium as i'm 5'11".
  10. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Calsci is definately NOT a replacement for the Aeroflow... MUCH less screen width than my Cee Bailey (which has much less coverage than the Aeroflow).

I will get to Update3 (with highway speed results and comparison photos) soon.
    Been swamped since my last post.
    I still have the tobinators to add to the adjustment mix, as well.
    Stay tuned.
  11. xaphod

Oddometer:
    Interesting - I guess i don't want the electric couch experience ala Aeroflow, i do want SOME feel of air etc... but a lot less than my stock GS windshield. So i guess i want some feeling how much better this is than stock, and some comparison to cee bailey (never tried one).

Looking fwd to update 3... :augie
  12. othg

othg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since that's my ride in the pic I'll chime in....The screen works very well & is very stable I tested it at over 100MPH & it was nice at normal speed 60-80 it's great & there is no buffiting at any speed & I look over the screen not thru it I don't like looking thru windscreens. 5'10 Arai helmet. There's more write up on this screen in FAQ.
  13. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Here's my smugmug gallery link of the Calsci XTall GS screen mounted to my 04 R1150GS Adventure:

SORRY... deleted the gallery... forgot it was linked to this thread.

Still haven't had the chance to test this @ 70mph+ for extended periods.
    I'm VERY optimistic!
    Maybe today.
  14. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Keeping the Calsci... Pretty damn good at speed.
    Got the Cee Bailey FS in Flea Market.
    Cee Bailey is ***SOLD***

15. Dadson

Dadson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Details please?

I've been watching this thread to see if the Calsci will do the trick. Most other solutions involve not just the windscreen, but a extention, or wings, or winglets... :huh The last time I saw that much plastic was at a bank tellers window.
  16. xaphod

Oddometer:
    +1 ... i'll be reading the details too :1drink

(liked the bank teller analogy btw)
  17. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    At 6'5 (34" inseam), my problem with buffetting has been at my eyebrow level. I'm not concerned with redirecting clean air from my torso.
    I have tried the stock Adventure screen... and I cut it down to about 14" for local/SUMMER riding.
    The Cee Bailey +4, +4 Adventure screen was good... just too short for me. It provided good wind protection...nice when the temperature is below 60 degrees, but too hot in summer.
    The Calsci XTall screen suits me well. The taller and narrower design slices through the air well. Buffetting has been drastically reduced... the air that was hitting me in the forehead with the CB mounted is now being directed at the top of my helmet. I like to ride with Oakleys & the shield up on my Arai XD. I'll flip the shield down for extended periods at highway speeds over 70mph (or rain)... but it's up most of the time.
    The cutout in the Calsci seems to equalize the airflow better than the Cee Bailey. It seems to "slice" through the air rather than "push" the air to the sides. I'm sure this is due to the narrower width.
    It's trial and error on these things, and individual preferences make for a very complicated decision.
    The Calsci lets a ton of air through... but it's clean air at head level. I like the side visibility with the narrower design. My first impression of the mounting design is that it seemed kinda flimsy. Now that it's mounted, it's rock solid. I've only had it on my bike for a couple hundred miles. Time will tell whether the mounting design holds up. I'm planning on keeping this shield mounted year round.
    :norton
  18. JTM65

JTM65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gonzo2k,
    how is the height of the screen? do you look over it during normal riding? I'm 6 ft with 30" inseam and I'm in between sizes by CalSci's fitment chart. I figure based on your size and fitmant it may give me a better idea whether to go up to the XLarge or down to the Large size.
  19. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    Hey JT,
    I see you're right between sizes on Mark's chart.
    You will definately be looking through the XL screen.
    I would suggest the Large for 6' /30 inseam.
    Looking at Mark's photos, the medium screen seems to have a pretty rounded arc.
    My XL is much more tapered... it's nice to see around the sides with the tall screen.
    I would imagine the Large screen splits the difference... seems about perfect for you.
    GL,
    R
  20. JTM65

JTM65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the insight. I'll put the Large on my wish list.