1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

new chain lube

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eddie bolted, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    WD40 on o ring chains, chain wax on non o ring dirt bikes, never had a problem.
  2. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i would say that is a legit statement with respect to non-sealed chains, but is not relevant for sealed (o-ring, x-ring, z-ring) chains.

they don't actually need lube. they need to have the water displaced and maybe the o-rings "conditioned"/prevented from dry rotting (and, obviously, you do not want to use anything that will actually attack the o-rings)...and they need to not get covered in grinding paste (i.e., chain lube plus dirt). WD-40 is, imho, great for that. there are many who agree and many who disagree.

i think with modern, sealed chains, chain life is much more a function of the conditions you ride in than what you do or don't put on the chain (assuming you take some type of measures to prevent rust). if you ride in a lot of mud, chain life is going to be shortened no matter what you use or don't use. if you ride nothing but clean streets, the chain will probably last a long time regardless of what you use or don't use.
    Xtyling, marvology and Jim K. like this.
  3. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    I used WD for YEARS....this stuff is better in every way ...cleans WAY BETTER and attracts NO DIRT, so no gritty paste, no matter how much you spray on, I'm not trying to get anyone to change their lube but if you get a chance try it!
  4. 1derer

1derer Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    marvology likes this.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer:
    Hmm. A lube that makes screwing a pleasure..

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
  6. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I found this thread when I used search word "Dupont" because, as most of you probably at one point in the recent history, I ran out of my beloved Dupont Teflon Muti-Use Dry Wax.... you know, that stuff the entire motorcycle world believed in and loved and vanished off the market in 2012.

So I did a bunch of googling, found a few lubricant reviews and such, and essentially I'm left with "the next best option" being on my shopping list, which appears to be Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax.

Now, since I'm a hopeful optimist, I hit eBay quickly for my last bit of hope and searched for "Dupont Dry Wax" and found this: Dupont Teflon Non Stick Dry-Film Lubricant.

I'm a big believer in dry film/wax types for chains. I had the original stuff for 4 years and none of my chains ever rusted and never gummed up or attracted dirt. In the past 3 months I've tried the Lucas stuff, PJ1, and WD-40 and none compare in dirt-repellent ability to the original Dupon Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax.

I realize this isn't rocket science, but I'm quite frustrated with lube sling and sticky chains collecting absurd amounts of dirt and grime.

I clean with diesel and grunge brush, I use an air nozzle to blow all the dirt off the chain, I want a quality dry wax.

What are you guys using and does anyone have experience using the linked Non Stick Dry-Film stuff?
  7. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ring chains still need lube, just not inside the rollers. But you need to lube the roller to sprocket tooth interface

Unless you want to replace the sprockets all the time.
  8. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to be mean, but so?

I am at 18K on my chain, only tightened once, and all I use is WD40.
    The miracle here is the marketing.
  9. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    All I'm saying is I've been riding 45 yrs on all chain driven bikes and I know from experience that this works BETTER than WD40. If you never tried it how can you say it's all marketing. I used WD for years ....THIS IS BETTER
  10. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really, really love this product..:.

What all do you use it for.....

:rofl
  11. kohburn

kohburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you like wd-40 - then check out tc-11 -- used to be sold at ace hardware most amazing lube I've ever used.

http://www.tc-11.com/

also used it to stop rust in the engine bay of a Subaru that got used on the beach.
  12. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it penetrates as well as they say, it may not be good to use on o-ring chains. Last thing you want to do is dissolve or flush out the grease in the rollers.
  13. Project84

Oddometer:
    Going to my local motorcycle shop this afternoon in search of anything with "wax" on the label.

I'll report back tomorrow.
  14. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said "penetrate"...
    heh, heh heh heh.
    eddie bolted likes this.
  15. Project84

Oddometer:
    Well, I ended up buying Maxima Chain Wax. It's a shame more products aren't available that are "wax" because all I really wanna do is coat the chain with something non wet, non sticky, non greasy, non solvent, that is o-ring safe. That basically eliminates all types of lubes.

When using any of the "wax" products, the chains remain cleaner for longer periods of time. Touring around on my Tiger through gravel roads, often riding coal mining backroads with lots of dusty debris stirring up, it's more important to me to keep filth off the chain.

I was in a pinch and had to buy some Lucas chain lube that comes out as a foam and dries (well, it never really does dry to be honest) to a very sticky feel after it slings all over the rear wheel and makes it look like you salvaged the wheel from an abandoned barn that burned down. I can't say enough bad about that product. Utter garbage.

I would imagine all you WD40 proponents either enjoy riding clean pavement or enjoy cleaning your chain often. It stays wet and picks up all kinds of road grime, not to mention it slings off and to my knowledge, I always thought it was a solvent, seeing as it contains petroleum distillates.

I could shed a tear to have the Dupont Teflon Multi Use Dry Wax stuff back. I think I may...
  16. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    When the good version of the Dupont Dry Lube went away I started using Original Bike Spirits Chain lube, its actually a better product and last longer in the rain. Its thin like the old DuPont all purpose dry lube: http://originalbikespirits.com/products/chain-lube/

Another option and its made of similar stuff is: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/771/35716/Pro-Honda-Chain-Lube-With-Moly

Liquid Performance makes a dry lube that goes on even better, but its always out of stock these days: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/771/-/91063/Liquid-Performance-Chain-Lube-13-oz.

Those are the best chain lubes I've used, they do not attract dirt, keep the chain clean and shiny, very good rust prevention, works great as a protectant and cleaner while not building up gunk. The Chain Wax products killed my chains, attracted way to much dirt. You would be better off just using a common 75wt gear lube than those wax based products that turn dirt into a nasty paste on your chain.

A cheap alternative could be this if your tight on money: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L512-Lubricant-CERFLON/dp/B000CPJLE4

I've seen the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube for $4.95 a can at Harbor Freight, they have good sales on the stuff. Seems to be like the old DuPont stuff. But, I get good performance from the Original Bike Spirit stuff, runs very clean once dry and runs about $10 for a large can.
  17. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I understand WD-40 is not a lubricant (it evaporates and is gone) and was designed for water displacement hence the name WD (water dispalcement) - 40. But then again I don't know much at all.
    Desce likes this.
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WD-40 website (and Wikipedia, for that matter) says otherwise... it displaces moisture AND lubricates.
  19. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about you guys elsewhere but there are different types of WD40 available here in Aus. One I know is a lube and one is more aimed at displacing water but in my experience it doesn't evaporate entirely and still lubricates. BTW I used it just this week for the first time to clean a chain, normally I use diesel.
  20. outdoorgb

outdoorgb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Project 84...

I too switched to a "wax based" lube based on a coworkers experience.
    No Toil Biodegradable chain lube...https://notoil.com/product/biodegradable-chain-lube-12oz-nt401/

Don't get me wrong...I do love my chemicals, I'm from the day of creosote and penta-seal...good stuff.
    This chain lube is clean, stays clean, and "I have no clue if it really lubes" but will report back if I blow a chain... (with pics of me blowing said chain!)...
    I'm using it on a new 14' Versys...2500 miles so far so no real data. Also putting on an 06 KLR with 14k (previous used 90w gear oil, also, great stuff...)