New chap old ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Fugazi, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Fugazi

Fugazi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all just scored myself an old 69 m63 ural
    And I'm looking for a ural style sidecar
    The bike itself looks like its been in World War 2 so
    A side car in any condition I'm pretty keen on .
    Can't really justify spending more than what I bought the bike
    for which was under 3
    Ant help on prices or if anyone has one for sale would be great

Cheers
    Tim
    0423 084 725
    www.timkillcustom.com
  2. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Welcome Tim! Congrats on your new bike. We like pics here!

I think you might have a hard time finding a useable sidecar for under three hundred. A lot of people used to buy older Soviet rigs for the sidecar and shitcan the bikes. Hence you found a solo.

There have been a few different suspension systems and fender and light styles over the years. You can mostly just switch fenders if you want to look period correct. Good news is all years should fit your bike. Also, sidecars by Dnepr and Chiang Jiang should fit your bike.

Be sure the sidecar frame has the "ball and jaw" clamps rather than clevis attachments.

I'd say fair market price for one of those marques, not rusted through, with wheel, shock (or leaf springs), and seat, is $750- $1500. Depends on the local market and seller's knowledge, of course. You might get lucky with a barn find.

I would keep an eye on the following sites to find a sidecar:

http://www.russianiron.com/forums/index.php
    http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/
    http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/
    http://www.sidecar.com/

*EDIT* just checked out your site and saw you're in OZ. Can't help you with sources there. You might have more pickin's though- I'm sure more older Urals made it there than over here. Nice site- beautiful geetars!
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt you'll find anything that isn't junk for $300. A good solid tub will likely be $800-$1200. For the entire tub/chassis/wheel etc expect to be in the $1500-$2000 range.
  4. Fugazi

Fugazi n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys
    Im happy to pay up to $2500 i got the bike for 3 and bit grand but would like something as cheap as i can so to speak.
    Happy to fix up somthing if its nackered but i do want that style of hack for it.
    Its a rare Ural only 5 odd in Austalia, one owner with still the original tyres and plugs!
    Heres some pics !
    Cheers
    Tim
    www.timkillcustom.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Fugazi

Fugazi n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgot to say
    That im in Austalia and it has to be on the left side !
    Hence my dilemma

Sorry that was actually the important part !
  6. Fugazi

Fugazi n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. hsblue

hsblue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Original tyres with a lot of tread are a plus for a museum piece. Not so good if you are expecting traction.
  8. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    I believe there were Ural dealers in Australia starting in the 70s that imported left hand cars. You should be able to find one- probably a later model. I didn't realize you spent that much on the bike. You should have no problem price-wise. You'll have to source 30mm balls and eyes and weld them on the left side of the bike.

Join this site and check out this Forum for bikes of your vintage in Australia:
    http://www.russianiron.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Those guys can tell you what you've got and how to achieve what you want.
  9. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Russian Motorcycle Owners Association may be of assistance to you. The RMOA was formed in NSW over 30 years ago to support owners of Russian bikes and has built up quite a stock of spares. The Secretary's contact is russianowners@gmail.com
  10. CaptainFur

CaptainFur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike, looks good condition for the age. I too have just acquired a 1969 M63.
  11. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
    M-63's are pretty rare anywhere. The Cyrillic script Ural tank isn't seen much either.
    I think M-63's were probably the pinnacle of aesthetics in the swingarm-framed Ural line. The later tanks and straight frames, just like the new ones, don't look near as nice.
    Good score.
  12. Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice colour too. I have an M66 I SHALL finish this year. Everything pretty much as your bike except for the oil filter on the engine and the different tank. I scored a Chang Jiang tank for NZ$70 which fits with hardly any modification as I liked that look.
    Best looking Soviet bike, in my opinion....though early Dnepr owners will disagree ;-)
  13. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.