New dual sport helmet coming soon? AFX-37

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by timdog, Dec 3, 2008.

1. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    I was looking for alternatives to the arai xd (too pricey) and the simpson (bad reviews) and came upon this. Might be promising, especially at $114.95.

Click here:

http://helmettown.blogspot.com/

And scroll down a bit to the Nov. 18 entry

Does anybody know anything about this?
  2. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks nice
  3. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    gosh, I wish.
    I have been wearing my Nolan N-19, with the visor
    and the flip-up 'shield, for 17 years now!
    lightweight polycarb/white shell for visibility/inexpensive/shield, so no goggles/works great for me.
    I posted a pic of it somewhere here,
    but with the server upgrades, it's gone...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329446
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
  5. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Looks like a decent helmet. And the price is great. Looking forward to reading a review on it when one of the inmates gets one ...
  6. FREDO RIDER

FREDO RIDER Enjoying the path !

Oddometer:
    Wow $ 115
    I definitely will take it into consideration.
    Looks pretty good too !
    Thanks timdog
  7. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    I called the local dealer about the helmet, because it looks like you can only get it through Parts Unlimited. The lady had never heard of it, and did not have the 2009 catalog, but took my information down. She called back in about an hour. She was able to locate the part number and tell me the colors, but could not verify the price or availability. She said to try back in January. Also they do not stock this brand, so if I ordered it and did not like it due to poor fit or any other reason I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee.
  8. bitemeback

bitemeback electriceel125

Oddometer:
    I have an AFX motocross style helmet and have been very please with it. Its a great price and I feel as though it protects very well and is comfy.
  9. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does look like a nice helmet. I opted for the Zeus dual sport helmet available from JR Graham. I've been very happy with it. Several reviews of it and for $100 I don't think it can be beat.

http://www.jrgraham.com/

go to dirt bike / helmets to view.
  10. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I am sorry but that Zeuss is just the ugliest helmet ever. It looks like a street helmet with an ugly visor bolted on.. may be functional...certainly a great price... but Fugly beyond compare.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but at about $300 less than the competition and a preference for function over form at times, maybe I can paint and sticker the hell out of it to make it less so. I don't know... still, my road and off road helmet are serving well so I am in no hurry to replace them yet. I'll wait a while longer and see what else comes out.
  12. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Again, the angle of the "peak" looks like it would make it almost useless for anything other than decoration.
  13. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To each his own on the Zeus. Ugly or not, it performs well. The peak has given me no problems and works just as well as my Bell Moto 8. The helmet is quieter than any of my other street or dirt helmets, the visor works very well even with glasses underneath so I thought I would pass along in case someone is looking for a good affordable alternative. If not, spend more money. Stickers might help if that's your thing. My preference is to ride and not worry about what I look like so much.
  14. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    More info on the AFX, from the importer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuqXOLFB8wE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuqXOLFB8wE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  15. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    RatBob,

Thanks for the youtube link, it helps to see the helmet from all the angles. Looks good, I will be seeing if they are in stock in the next month.
  16. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The helmet looks nicely streamlined and thus I can imagine it would be quiet on the highway. Does it have the following nice features that the Hornet has:

1. Can wear goggles with it, even with the faceshield closed
    2. Peak directs cool air to a vent right at the top of your head
  17. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Scott goggles fit pretty well but not with the shield closed.

There are two vents at the top of the helmet that appear to be lined up quite nicely with the peak / visor cutouts. In reality I have never really payed much attention to them though so I can't totally answer that in practical terms.

18. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be waiting to check this one out too. I like the Arai but I just can't see spending that much money on a helmet if I can get one just as safe for less.
  19. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    :thumb I have too many helmets around here now, but I'd be looking at that one if I were in the market. I also like that it has the ECE 22.05 rating.
  20. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I wear a Scorpion VX17 so I am not trying to say a $400 helmet is better but I can tell you that my brother bought an AFX snowmobile helmet because it had the option of removing the peak and running with a faceshield if you wanted to. The quality of his helmet is shit. He had to order a 2nd one because the first one fell apart. I have no idea why he didn't give up on helmet #1, I would have swapped brands but he gave them a 2nd chance and it fell apart within a few months as well. Now he is wearing a shit helmet that he hates.

When Scorpion comes out with an XD style lid I will be first in line. :nod