New dual sport helmet coming soon? AFX-37

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by timdog, Dec 3, 2008.

1. emulzhn

emulzhn free from crutches

Oddometer:
    just purchase one as a result of this thread. Def no regrets. Can be a versatile helmet. Except for one. need to change to goggles when things get technical dirt or road.... clear and dark shield alters depth perception. I guess the shape of the helmet dictated this.
  2. walked

walked n00b

Oddometer:
    Graveyard bump.

I am going to pick one of these up, but cant find it locally.

Anyone compared sizing to the HJC CL-SP? I wear an XL that fits to perfection, and I've heard that this runs a bit small. I dont know if HJC is on par, runs small, or even large. Anyone know?
  3. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    I also have an HJC CL-Max in large and the AFX large is a bit snug, concurring with previous observations that they run a smidge small.
  4. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    I've got a white XXL that I'll sell you for $100 including shipping. I've worn it twice, and it just doesn't fit my head correctly. The optical distortion is very minor and doesn't bother me a bit. The chin strap is waaaayyy too long so I cut it. Other than the chin strap, it's like new. PM me if interested.
  5. ParrotHeadRacer

ParrotHeadRacer Born in the USA

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  6. tigascc

tigascc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. VTvfr

VTvfr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The N-47 Primal Scream looks cool for a graphic version too!

Too bad their website give NO information on how to buy one.
  8. ohiodualsporter

ohiodualsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an AFX (one in silver through Competition Unlimited) and love the helmet. They don't stock them, but were listed as the distributor.
    I ordered it sight unseen and hit the mark perfectly.(7 3-8s = L) It did fit a little snug until I had it broken in. (around the second time I wore it) I've used it offroad and on, at freeway speeds and under and it works great! The visor doesn't create any lift at speed and turning my head doesn't seem to effect it either. The visor doesn't have a ratchet system in it so it holds its position regardless of where I put it. A nice feature when you want some extra air without letting all the bugs in. For $114 I highly recommebd this helmet. I've had Shoei and Arai before, and I don't see the extra $400+. (especially in a helmet that takes offroad abuse)
    Its DOT rated and was good enough to be approved for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. :wink:
  9. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I just got one of these helmets in...well, technically the second one.....I ordered a medium...which is the size I wear in every other helmet out there..including AFX..and it did not fit. I had to send back to get a Large. Not sure what was up with that..but KneeDraggers.com did a great job exchanging it for me......no problems what so ever. Other than that..I like it so far. I have not ridden with it yet...but I do not see any issues..we'll see.

I have seen some mention optical distortion from the visor. I have to say..I did not see any...entire vision area seems perfectly fine to me.

I have not read this entire thread, but have seen other people wondering about the use of goggles with these new DS type helmets. Again, not ridden with this set up yet...but seems to be I can flip up visor and put on the goggles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. gregneedham

gregneedham I seem to fall often

Oddometer:
    Just received a Matte Black L and have put about 500 miles on it in conditions ranging from normal to high winds, on pavement and dirt.

Love it so far. Fit is very comfortable for my head shape, lightweight and fairly quiet.

Distortion in the lens in no problem. I can see it if I really look, but probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't read so much about it.

Fit and finish is what you would expect from a $95 helmet. I don't see this helmet lasting too long before it shows signs of wear and tear, but for the price, I love it.
  11. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I rode with it for about 40 minutes Saturday, here in NJ... 24 °F. The only thing I did not like is it was really prone to the visor fogging...surprising with the amount of air that comes in through the chin piece.

Other than that, I was pretty happy with it.
  12. FatherX

FatherX Hood Ornament Supporter

Oddometer:
    own a Medium of this
    couldn't beat $90 from my local Honda shop. shhhh!

tight front to back on me...cut my hair...eyes stopped watering from pain

smashed foam inside front with screwdriver handle (same in back)

better

wore for 3 days in Mexico...never uncomfortable

not quiet (pretty much MX sound levels) not surprising.

all round I actually grew to like it.

still miss my Vemar Eclipse modular
  13. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    The blog you were looking for was not found. :cry
  14. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    Recieved my FX-37 today. Size large, pearl white multi. I also own a
    AIROH dual sport helmet. The FX is now my favorite. The visor moves up and out view. The AIROH will go up but stops so that the bottom of the visor is even with my line of sight. I was going to order a smoke visor for the AIROH, they are 59.00. For a little more than double I have a new helmet and smoke visor for it. Fits better also.:1drink
  15. guiri

guiri Guest

So, can someone tell me where to get the 37 at a good price and with return option in case it won't fit my ripe melon?

Also, how do I know if my melon is round or oval and if this is the lid for me? I guess just buy one and cram it on?

Finally, someone told me not to get a black one in NC 'cause it will roast my melone and I have never eaten roasted melone but it sounds pretty disgusting.

Should I go fer the gray one or what? I really dont' want to get a white one. I like the matte black one but I also know that I'll ride like a pussy so I don't think I'll get much air flow when I ride in the country.

Thankya
  16. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/catalog/AFX/FX-37-DS

Best price I found when shopping...I got a plain white one. I had to send it back and get one size larger, and they were great about it. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them..great company to deal with.
  17. wolfy317

wolfy317 Addicted to BMW

Oddometer:
    oemcycle.com has them for $98, but I haven't priced shipping yet. Ebay has em for $106 shipped, and if I recall, returns were available.
  18. guiri

guiri Guest

THanks, I think I'll go with kneedraggers as they pay for shipping if you exchange for another size. Not bad if you consider that this might happen.

The dude said to go with the sizing chart so we'll see

Thanks boys

George
  19. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. I wear a medium in every helmet..including some street AFX ones I have. I had to send back the medium in this and get a large. Look at some of the other threads about this helmet..seems to be a common sizing issue with the DS helmet.
  20. guiri

guiri Guest

Yep, just what I told the guy and he said not to trust forums too much :(

So, one size larger than their chart says?