New dual sport helmet coming soon? AFX-37

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by timdog, Dec 3, 2008.

1. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    For me personally..yes. Some have said it depends on head shape.:eek1

Check the other posts and make your own decision. Forums, although sometimes filled with wrong information, can be a good gauge for majority consensus.

Worst case, kneedraggers does have great return policy....if you have to use it.
  2. guiri

guiri Guest

Well, I figure if I go with HIS recommendation, there's even less of a problem returning it and I have NO idea how my head's shaped.

I know it's empty and kinda soft so maybe it'll just mold nicely inside the lid :)
  3. gtackett

gtackett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reviewing return policies and prices I decided to order an AFX FX-37 from Revzilla.com. $104 and change delivered.

After measuring my noggin and comparing my HJC (med) and Fulmer (XL) helmets I ordered a Large....seems to fit good and snug.

I don't notice any distortion like some have mentioned about the shield. Maybe I don't see 20/20 anyway! I do feel like the range of view is extremely wide. Better than either my off-road (HJC) or my street helmet (Fulmer).

The strap is extremely long, but workable. Seems like plenty of padding.

However, the ear slots seems small and somewhat hard to fit speakers for my Chatterbox, but they manage to fit.

I'm accustomed to visor / beak catching some wind, so that is nothing to me. It is vented very well, which now with 90+ degree days is nice. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep all the cold air out this winter.

All in all, seems to be a good purchase.

Every study I've read leads you to believe a $100 helmet is just as safe as a $300 helmet, may just not have the same comfort or finish.

I'm pleased.....but, I've just had it for one day now!
  4. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can someone please post a picture of their FX-37 with the visor removed?

Can the helmet be worn without the visor, or does it leave threaded holes, etc. showing?

Thanks in advance...
  5. guiri

guiri Guest

By the way, I'm having problems with the visor making things look funky. How did you guys deal with that those of you who DID have problems with it?

Thanks

George
  6. oldbeemerguy

oldbeemerguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dennis Kirk has the black/silver/camo's for $94.49. I think shipping might have been free but don't quote me on that.

I'd like to add that I've ordered 2 of them. The first I sent back. I went by hat size and like others have said (I didn't read this thread first) I should have ordered one size larger.

Here is the bad part...the first XL helmet fit really well. Nice and snug, what got me was the contact/pressure point on the front of my forehead about my hairline and the rear part of my head where the back dome part sticks out. I just got in the XXL and it's to loose on the left and right but still presses against front and back hard enough that I fear in just a little bit of riding I'd be screaming to get it off my head. The padding in these things just seems to be pathetic to me. And I'm not used to expensive helmets. I've had 2 HJC's and the one I use now is a motocross style Viper, which is a super cheap one. It's padded like a rolls royce compared to this AFX. Maybe I just have an odd shaped head but as bad as I want one of these helmets I think I'm going to have to give up on it.

Anyone got any advice? I thought about shaving out a very little bit of styrofoam to relieve some pressure but maybe I should just accept the fact that this one isn't for me as bad as I want it to be.
  8. guiri

guiri Guest

From what I've seen here, it's either a round or funky shaped melon so it apparently boils down to which kind you have.

I got one that was very tight on the cheeks but someone suggested getting the XL cheek pads and that worked out fine. Apparently they're the same sizes helmets L and XL but with different padding.

It's fine for me although tight but then, you do want it tight.
    The only thing I don't like is the way the visor makes things look which is a bit of a problem for me. Other than that, I love this thing and it's PURDY! :)
  9. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have recently heard from the importer that a new version of this is releasing soon. Supposedly one of the corrections will be the optic distortion.

No other details.

BP
  10. guiri

guiri Guest

I wonder if they will fix mine somehow..?

Please keep us posted

Thanks

George
  11. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered solid color from bikerbandit $84.
  12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    My wife kept claiming my FX-37 for our riding, so I made her get one for herself. :D
  13. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    If you like the helmet, but can't stand the pressure on your forehead just above your brow-line, then remove the liner fabric (it comes out easily) and shave an 1/8" or slightly more off from the styrofoam right at that area. My brother and I have both done this and the helmets are perfect now.

I did mine with a sharp folding pocket-knife on the side of the trail this weekend. The helmet was brand new and after 50 miles, I couldn't stand the feeling. After the shave, I rode 450 miles more with no problems.

By the way, I wear an XXL in HJC and Arai helmets, and the XXL AFX fit just right. BikeBandit had a great sale over Labor Day, so I ordered one then. Very glad I did it.
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :nod

I had to do that with another helmet, too, and before anyone says anything, shaping the Styrofoam a little isn't going to have any kind of effect on the helmets crash-worthiness.
  15. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, after a week here is my thoughts.
    First, the visor does have some distortion. Noticed most at low speeds and rough terrain(where you need to focus 20 feet in front of your tire). Not noticed at speed.
    Second, it is tight. Large fits well, but after a full day my jaw is tight.
    Third, it is well ventilated. I will need to add a layer once the temps drop.
    Fourth, I like the dual sport visor as I am commuting against the sun.
    Good bang for the buck.
  16. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 What's ******width?

Oddometer:
    Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Where did you find an Airoh Helmet in the US? I am looking at the AFX FX-37 and the Airoh, and I'd like to take a look at both. I work at Cycle Gear, so I can order them, I just need to know what distributor sells them.
  17. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is an older version of an AFX helmet, FWIW. New one i the FXX-39. I think Dennis Kirk has the 37 for $75 or so. But you should do some research on the fit, first.

BP
  20. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I had the FX-37 DS and really liked it. The FX 39 seems slightly updated.

I will say that in either, the case is probably the same and you should order one size larger than you normally would, since they run small. not sure if they addressed that in the FX-39.