New dual sport helmet coming soon? AFX-37

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by timdog, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have....DO NOT order 1 size larger in the FX-39.

The 37 was more round, and short front-to-back. 39 is a normal, Shoei style oval fit.

BP
  2. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Ok, good to know. They must have had a lot of complaints and fixed their sizing.
  3. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That IS good to know! I ordered a 37 and had to send it back. I hate to throw sand in anyone's vaseline, but I thought it was a horrible thing. I can understand how everyone got so excited. the price is certainly amazing, but I thought of it as a total POS... Cheesy padding that compressed fully with just a little pressure, distortion in the shield (which I knew about before I ordered) and exposed unfinished edges.

But despite my previous experience, I AM interested in finding out the improvements they made by trying out a 39...

Thanks for the comparison of the old and new models! :freaky
  4. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    yeah,I had heard about the visor distortion too. Luckily, I did not have that issue with mine at all. Seems some did and some did not...a hit or miss issue.
  5. darkshadow

darkshadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Excellent video! Thanks!

I'm sold. I think I'll order one...

"Pull the trigger"? For a $115 helmet? :rofl
  7. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    This AFX-39 looks very good to me. I want one.
  8. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    You 100% sure they have the sizing correct with the new one, FX 39?? I would hate for people to order it and realize that they have to send it back for one size larger, like I had to do with the FX37.
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Doug,

First, sorry you had to return your FX-37, and I will do my best to help avoid that if you purchase a 39. But, not knowing you (particularly your helmet size), and with your question phrased as it is, I would be reckless to answer yes. I won't dodge the question, but I need to add some info.

First thing is, the problem with the FX-37 was not that it ran small, it was that it had a shape that was incompatible with most wearers. The helmet was more round, and short front to back, which put pressure on the forehead. In most cases going up a size did not fix that problem, it just made it tolerable. If your normal helmet size in the 37 was too tight on the forehead, the real solution was to buy different helmet with a different fit.

The 39 is a completely different shape and fit from the 37 (that I am 100% sure of). It is a traditional long oval shape. We do not find the pressure spot on the forehead, or, that ordering up a size is needed. In fact, we have had some customers that have ordered up, and have needed to return them.

Sizing and buying moto gear over the web is hard, and some error is inevitable (no retailer should tell you otherwise). And, of all the products, helmets are the hardest to size, because they 1. have a mostly finite shape, and 2. because measuring with a tape is misleading at best. But it can be done to a good statistical result, if some common sense best practices are used.

1. Measure your head
    2. Use more than your personal 5 year old helmet as a benchmark. Best to note your size in 3-4 different model from different brands.
    3. Don't use helmets with fit anomalies as benchmarks. Example, if you have an oval head, using an FX-37 as a benchmark will throw you off.
    4. Be aware when you are crossing shell sizes. The difference in fit when you drop a size, within a shell mold, is different when you cross the shell break.
    5. Recognize the effect of shape on fit. Customers tend to think of fit in very two-dimensional terms....too big, or too small. It ain't like that. Sometimes, helmet molds have characteristics that affect certain head shapes within a sizing sample group.

Best example is the bottom opening. You can have two people with long oval size L heads...one with a large jaw area and full cheeks, and one with a lantern jaw. One helmet I know of, the 2009 Klim F4 helmet, had a very narrow opening side to side. On the full cheek wearer, pulling the helmet on was cruelty. On the other, it was fine. Cheekpads could be changed, but they only had an effect once the helmet was on. The issue was ingress/ egress. Sizing up, sizing down, changing cheekpads, etc did not address the issue. The only way was to know the helmet had a narrow opening.

Obviously, I believe it is possible to buy helmets over the web and get the sizing correct. But error is possible. Additionally, some people are convinced they know their size, but base it on benchmarks that should not be used. So, I need to be a responsible retailer, point this out, and also engage in some CYA when answering your question. That said, on the FX-39, I do NOT recommend upsizing based on the FX-37, or factoring in the fit of the FX-37 at all. They are completely different.

Hope that helps.

BP
  10. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    No..its seems to be a slight mistake BP. I did not buy and have to return helmet from you at all. Its all good.

I had one, an FX 37, from another dealer and had to send it back and get one size larger.

I just had asked the question to you since you seem to have some inside product knowledge. Just wanna make sure if I buy another FX DS, I get it the right size the first time out.
  11. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  12. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your concern, it's an xxl. :*sip*
  13. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Well, I just went online to RevZilla.com to order an AFX FX-39, and instead ordered an HJC Sy-Max modular they have on clearance, for only $134 bucks!

I'd still like to pick up an FX-39 for riding with goggles, but I needed a street helmet too, and I love the modular helmets with flip-down visors.

If anyone's interested in that Sy-Max (the top of the line in HJC modulars. Beneath the Sy-Max in their lineup is the IS-Max and the CL-Max) you better act fast. They have very limited sizes and colors left.

By the way, I called RevZilla twice, and a guy named Patrick was VERY helpful and really knows his products! Ten thumbs up! :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb
  14. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the shield distortion issue was addressed in the new helmet? I have the 37 and had the shelve it it was just too hard on my eyes.

If it was fixed will the 39 shield work on the 37?

Love to be able to use this helmet again.

Thanks for any insight.
  15. Abomb

Abomb Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yep, addressed in here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658019
  16. Shunka

Oddometer:
  17. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Shunka, the 39 shield will NOT work on the 37. I am also sending you a PM.

BP
  18. Abomb

Abomb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, miss read your post. As stated the 39 shield will not fit the 37. Distortion issue was fixed though.
  19. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Got one of the new FX39-DS helmets. great upgrade over the FX-37 DS.

They also fixed their sizing issues, as stated.....if you wear a medium, no need to buy a large, like the FX37.
  20. Shunka

Oddometer:
    OK Brtp4 send me one of the new shields that is supposed to fix the optics that many have complained about.

First impression in my living room is that compared to my old shield that the optics could still be an issue. My living room of course is not a conducive riding environment so I will use it next week and report back my experience here.