New dual sport helmet coming soon? AFX-37

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by timdog, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    The quick and dirty: If you have a 37 and your shield gives you problems this new shield will correct MOST of the issues. If you shelved this helmet from rotation because of the shield or are suffering like I was with it. Order yourself up a new shield.

After a week of use with the old shield I though I was going blind and needed glasses. This new shield does still effect my eyes somewhat.

I have been using the replacement shield for a week now. Happy to say my first impressions were wrong. Is the new better shield perfect? In short No. But it is greatly improved.

I was able to use the shield in most all conditions this week. Direct sun, overcast, drizzly rain, dusk and complete dark.

I would still like to see them make the shield better. I would classify it now as Moderate to slight distortion, where before It was so sever it made my helmet unusable.

While I won't be using this helmet for full time use, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a dual sport trip. I never would have said that of the old one.

Glad to have it back.

If you have any questions fire away or just PM me if you like.
  2. boondocker53

boondocker53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess I was one of the lucky ones. My 37 shield was just fine, but perhaps because I wear progressive bifocals and have to focus through the center of the lenses, I couldn't see the distortion.

Also, fit was perfect, but then I'm one of those guys that wears a regular oval as opposed to long oval cowboy hat.

And for those naysayers who say that a cheap helmet won't protect you, two years ago I was run over by a drunk driver. He hit my front wheel, knocked me off the bike, and ran over my head, shoulders and chest. It was a Chevy Cavalier, and I was rolled and dragged underneath and spit out the back. 10 broken ribs, broken collar bone, shattered head of the humerus, broken wrist, and broken nose. The rear axle took off the visor and face shield when it broke my nose.

I have the helmet in the shop as a reminder of why you should always wear a helmet. God saved my life, but the helmet was one of the ways that He did it.
  3. holiday

holiday DL650K7

Oddometer:
    A horrendous account. Is the story a PSA for wearing helmets or an endorsement for the AFX 37? What helmet were you wearing?
  4. DaC

DaC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. boondocker53

boondocker53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. holiday

holiday DL650K7

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification and pictures. I suspicion your perspective for life has changed some?
  7. boondocker53

boondocker53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your suspicion is quite correct!!!

Physically, I had to have a shoulder replacement, and a plate and screws in my wrist. The doc fixed my deviated septum while he was working on my nose, so now I breathe better than I have in 45 years...LOL. Had to have about 6 months of physical and occupational rehab to get the wrist and shoulder moving again, shoulder is only about 40%, but that's a lot better than 0.

The mental and psychological effects were major as well. I am much closer to my wife and kids than ever before, and definitely closer to God in my daily walk.

The driver was in custody in about 15 minutes after the crash, even though he left the scene. His girlfriend, who was with him, was killed in another wreck about 4 hours later, after SHE got drunk, and rolled the same car that ran over me. She wasn't wearing a seat belt, and was ejected from the car, which rolled over her. The car was also totaled.

The driver who ran over me is now on 10 years Felony probation. If he doesn't straighten out his life, he has at least 7 years of hard time to do before he can be paroled. If he makes it, then good for him. I hope he gets his life together.
  8. DaC

DaC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, so I'm not a lawyer and not really familiar with the penal system, but....does this mean he is on probation (zero prison time) for 10 years with a felony record? Seems like he got off easy for a hit and run that could have easily killed you, don't it? :huh

Did your nose get busted up when it hit the helmet chin guard or did something make it's way past the chin guard and smack you?
  9. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it through okay boondocker53. I know that no two accidents are ever completely alike but I was dragged under a vehicle once as well with slightly different circumstances and slightly different results. I was wearing an Arai Quantum (it was about 5 or 6 years ago, I know it was Arai for sure). A guy did a U-turn in front of me and when I t-boned him, I rolled underneath (pickup truck) while my bike jammed just ahead of his rear wheelwell. He continued his U-turn and drove a bit down the road until he realized something was stuck into his truck :huh. This was only about 100 feet or so. I was jammed with my helmet under the rear axle and feet up toward the front of his vehcle lying on my back. I had rolled right under the driveshaft which was now on my left and the rear wheel was on my right. When he finally stopped, I rolled out from under his truck and walked around to ask him if he was trying to kill me. Obviously your accident happened at a higher rate of speed so that may have had something to do with the broken visor and face shield (and nose) but my helmet protected my face and head. Either way, both of us got protection but I wonder if a cheaper helmet would have done for me what the Arai did?
  10. boondocker53

boondocker53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at it this way...if he screws up he goes down for 10 years, which is the max for intoxication assault in Texas. If we took it to a jury, chances are he would get probation anyway, and a lighter sentence. The last three intoxication MANSLAUGHTER cases the DA tried only got 7 years each from juries, in each case someone DIED!

Yes we offered him a plea bargain. Chances are he won't be able to keep straight, and when he screws up, the judge can give him the whole 10 years. Realistically, he could be out on parole in 7, but that's the most we can get out of him.

I think that my nose was busted when the rear axle came across and took off the visor and face shield. I was looking at the bottom of the car right before that. The impact on the helmet rolled me over and I felt my jeans being torn off my knees as I was dragged. :eek1
  11. boondocker53

boondocker53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it through that OK.

If you haven't already, go to the link of the pictures of my helmet. There are gouges and asphalt all the way round the helmet.

The idiot was accelerating all the time he was running over me, and he had knocked my bike out of the way. I think he ran over me with both a front and rear wheel. and was rolling and dragging me the whole way. My "cheap" AFX definitely did the job.

There's not much room under a Chevy Cavalier...</snip>
  12. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Price does not dictate how safe a helmet is. Price dictates how quiet and comfortable it it is. Not to beat a dead horse, but there are plenty of studies online to confirm this.

I am fine with my "cheap" AFX dirtbike(dualsport) helmets and KBC street helmets. Both crash tested and DZ approved. :D
  13. DaC

DaC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, many of the more expensive helmets have actually shown to be LESS safe. They are too stiff and transfer too much g-force to the rider's brain. The older the rider, the more likely to sustain brain injury from the same g-force. Other than this, yes the fit/finish is much better on the expensive helmets.

Read the link I posted above. A very good study that tested many brands and found disappointing results.

Shark designs a crumple zone into their helmets to decrease the overall rigidity and help absorb more of the blow. They seem to be putting a bit more science into their helmet design.

I'd wear that AFX helmet ANY day of the week. It's a great value. I own a range ($) of helmets and never buy into the sham that a more expensive helmet is going to protect my head any better than a well-fitting full face lid.
  14. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I have seen that study as well. :wink:
  15. guiri

guiri Guest

Anyone who has the AFX helmet, that is into stickers and don't have a sticker, pm me and I'll send you mine.
    I just got some stuff from them and they include stickers and me, I don't do stickers.

Later peeps

George
  16. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Bumping this for anyone that has the AFX DS-39. I have that one....upgraded from the DS-37..and really like it, even with the visor. BUT, in these colder months, it is fogging up a lot. Even when I raise it an inch or so.

So I ordered the cheapest Scott goggles I could find on MSS.com and tried them out today. They are a hair big, so they did not press against my face as well as they should have..and would also fog up if I sat, not moving for too long.

I know some guys like to use goggles...so I am wondering which brand/model fits the helmet best??? Thanks for any replies.