New E-bike subforum policy

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Mattbastard, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    If you don't support the electric motorcycle movement:

[​IMG]

Seriously, I'm tired of mouth-breathers coming in here to crap on threads with passive aggressive comments about how much further they can take their gasoline powered motorcycles. Just STFU and leave...
  2. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First!!

Oh, and I can get 300km out of my Speed Triple before I need to stop for 5 minutes to fill it up.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    What's a km? 300 sounds like a lot.
    RockyMtnRoadRash and joker-b like this.
  4. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who isn't lockstep with the talking points will be sent to the gulag post haste.

Oh, and can we get a no KTM master race rule for thumpers? I'm tired of them laughing at my 30 year old dinosaur japanese bikes.
  5. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Km is like miles but better cause it's metric. And 100kmh sounds better than 60mph cause there's more numbers.:D
    Traxx, SidewinderX and voltsxamps like this.
  6. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    more like 62mph. But who's counting?

M
    voltsxamps likes this.
  7. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But you have no potential for more. Earth has been accumulating that oil reserve for million years, and you burned everything just in 100. [​IMG] Your kids will have to get back to camels and horses and no organics for life. Nice future you secured!
  8. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just reckon that batteries aren't a long term solution. Not green by any means, and expensive.
    Hydrogen has to be a better long term solution surely?
    Jeff Sichoe and Traxx like this.
  9. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lithium batteries are close to 100% efficient for storing (energy) electricity. Making hydrogen is not even close.
  10. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've also got to consider the manufacturing, disposal and where the power comes from to charge the batteries. They are not currently environmentally friendly.
    Jeff Sichoe and Traxx like this.
  11. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to consider all the environmental externalities of gasoline production too, in order to make an apples-to-apples comparison. You may not consider batteries "currently environmentally friendly", but they're much better than gasoline over their entire life cycle. Especially in terms of CO2 released (part of the production phase, but mostly the 'disposal' phase of the gasoline life cycle). CO2 is today's most critical pollutant. (Gasoline releases more than double the CO2 per lifetime vehicle mile that EVs do: https://blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-nealer/gasoline-vs-electric-global-warming-emissions-953 . Those numbers will only get worse for gasoline as the grid gets greener. BTW, not sure about Australia, but in the US we can hasten a greener grid by opting for 100% renewable sources on our electric bill.)

You also need to consider that gasoline production is a very mature technology and it's not going to get significantly better. High tech batteries are only getting started, and they are being developed at a time when green production practices are seen as crucial.

As for your H2 comment, you don't have to look very deeply into H2 to realize what a boondoggle it is. The bottom line there is that the electricity needed to produce H2 is put to FAR better use if you just put it in a battery.

Everything has an environmental impact. The goal here is to reduce them, knowing that we can't eliminate them.
  12. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paging JerryH from Arizona. He will set you straight on why electric will fail and petrol rules.
    Traxx and PK2 like this.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think for quite a long time ahead (more than my lifetime), both will have a place and that plenty of what used to be dino powered will be displaced but there are too many advantages to liquid fuel that will keep it in plenty of spaces. The two greatest advantages of liquid fueled (and this includes hydrogen) is the enormous energy/mass density advantage... electrochemical cells (batteries) just can't ever achieve that... and the much, much faster speed to replace all that energy.... which batteries are also unlikely to achieve any time soon...

Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would even consider a gas powered bicycle or moped today....
    Traxx and johngault like this.
  14. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As this West Texas vulture cruises I20 looking for abandoned e-bikes on the side of the desert freeway. On his dino bike. So far. Only trucker bungy cords and one 5 gallon igloo water jug for my efforts. Seems nobody is driving these cross country yet.

I figure the smaller ebike frames will make a good mono trailer base . To pull behind my dino bike.

See! I support electric bike movement. Parts is parts.

Edit: when I was a kid in the city. A skate board and bicycle got me around just fine. It would have been nice if both had motors.
    WECSOG likes this.
  15. Thrasherg

Thrasherg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys, just to state the obvious, batteries are terrible for the environment, lithium batteries require massive amounts of mining to get the required amounts of lithiumand other chemicals and when the battery dies (which they do after a couple of years) no one can yet process them (and reuse them) so these nasty chemicals go back into landfills and cause more damage to the environment! Whilst gasoline is clearly not a long term solution, until the batteries can be reused or a better way to store the energy is found, electric vehicles are not a good solution for 70% of the planet!! But we will get there, I see that they are looking to use carbon with lithium and it gives the potential to store 10x the current capacity!! Now that starts to make electric look very interesting!! :)
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  16. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :fpalm What density? Lithium is just a tentative ball as mentioned. Personally don't believe it will stay for good. It's not a game changer, just a starter. Besides peak for organics has already been passed. It faces imminent decline, whatever politicians might say on TV. At the current stage, nuclear is the density of main interest.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    These bikes have an equivalent to a reserve? That'd be my biggest fear. Also, how hard does it hit your electric bill on the recharge?
  18. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Likely not much. But then again, with electric you are in control: a small investment in solar panels will offset any energy usage and make your situation more resilient.
    ADVDucs33 and voltsxamps like this.
  19. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cleanest alternative for mobile energy storage is compressed air :lurk. No materials dug from the ground. The containers last for dozens of years, without any wear. It is fast to fill up, available in high volumes, and no pollution.
  20. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    there certainly is a lot of compressed air coming out in this thread. :fpalm
    tire joe, RedRocket, Richy and 3 others like this.