New E-bike subforum policy

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Mattbastard, Apr 27, 2019.

1. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, just for the benefit of those who don't realize that's a joke, IT'S A JOKE!

That needs to be said, because there have been a few cranks promoting compressed air cars before. They don't tell you what an enormous amount of energy is required to compress a gas, or how much heat is generated, which then dissipates and is wasted before you can use that energy. So, ultimately, how little range and what low efficiency the whole scam has.

If it was such a good idea, it would be the norm. It's not, so it isn't.

***EDIT***

Just remembered reading many years ago (when I was interested in steam power) of a railyard engine for moving cars around that was nothing but a steam locomotive, but with a very large steel thermos bottle instead of the usual boiler/exchanger/firebox/etc.

It would take on a load of steam from a stationary boiler at the yard, and then run for hours doing its chores. (After a valve adjustment, the thing was nearly silent.) Even though it wasn't putting out many miles of range, the only reason it worked was because it was using steam instead of air - lots more energy contained in a working fluid that changes phase. If they had used air it would have spent more time getting pumped up than working.
    johngault, WECSOG and Kyler like this.
  2. stephsarkle

stephsarkle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The batteries in a Tesla Model S are expected to last 400,000 - 500,000 miles until they are down to 80%, and then they can be used for another 30 years as solar power storage buffers. At the end of their life cycle they can be recycled almost 100%. The only stuff in them that cant be recycles are the wisp thin plastic seperator membranes inside the cells.
    Shaolin, Bluesmudge, scottdc and 2 others like this.
  3. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:

I always wanted to try a CO2 motor, like a compressed air motor, but uses liquid CO2. Many sizes of bottles are available, and because it is a liquid the power density is fairly high. 650psi right out of the bottle. Just for fun... a hard sell to the green people :)
  4. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sure that isn't methane gas you're sensing? :p

M
    WECSOG likes this.
  5. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    India uses compressed air cars. Though when reading about them, all I can think of is the large amount of electricity my air compressor uses. And yes heat. So I agree with you ctromley.
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will have to use a very large heat exchanger or heat it some other way - those bottle will freeze up in a hurry

I've run air tools (compressed air motors) from CO2 and high use things like impact wrenches, sanders or nail guns will freeze the bottles enough that there's not enough useful pressure... we'd stick them in swimming pools sometimes. I still keep a large bottle around for all kinds of uses... Ain't going to work in a vehicle...

There are good reasons that this old schools stuff isn't main stream
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Anybody who's ever seen the greenish smog over LA from Griffith Park will have a hard time denying that battery powered energy storage is the best short-term solution to the pollution from vehicles in urban areas.

Also, I realize making batteries is just moving the environmental impact but you cannot argue that one day of battery production plus one day of power plant use recharging batteries in all of LA is equal to the amount of smog belched into the air from all the gas powered vehicles zooming around.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  8. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's because they using old technologies at powerplants in the first place, thus polluting the environment right back. New principles of generating energy has been already found, and those not only producing cleaner energy but also helping to deal with previous mishaps. Just because of it, it's so funny to observe this Vanity Fair.
    Kyler likes this.
  9. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Speaking of which: IC engines run just fine on methane.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  10. johngault

johngault Leaning into it Supporter

Oddometer:

10x the energy density......awesome, cant wait.....oh but I WILL HAVE TO. Li- ion technology has been around for decades. There is so much hype about a massive breakthrough, just around the corner. So many in academia and industry are trying to get attention from the VC crowd.

as my colleague that is working on electric vehicles likes to say, " It is not that batteries are bad, it is that petroleum is so good". As long as it is around, we will use it. When it is gone, which will be a very long time from now, we will have alternatives.
    Traxx and WECSOG like this.
  11. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JerryH loves petrol so much he use to wash his hands in it.
  12. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice cover for a sloppy work.
  13. johngault

johngault Leaning into it Supporter

Oddometer:
    T
    Thanks for your contributions!
  14. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't wanna miss another drop of petroleum fuel -- :topes
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Nah. People can be convinced once in a while, and even more will be at least pushed to think past their prejudices. I'd say come on in, we have math, logic, and data for you to chew on.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the past 10 years, I have done a 180 in my view of EV's. I used to hate them, and think they were a joke. Having actually ridden, and driven a few made a big and favorable impression.
    Learning to identify, and ignore the hype, and Luddites helps keep things in perspective.
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

The battery is essentially only built once. My gas tank gets emptied and I have to fill it again and again. The gas station runs out and needs a diesel truck to deliver more again and again.
    The sun comes up tomorrow even if a car doesn’t get driven.
  18. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    but there aint much lithium either in the scheme of how many electric vehicles we will need
  19. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the issue -- some folks state here that Lithium is in plenty. This is one of the most glaring blunder ever. It's clear as mud that Li-ion cannot provide everyone with an EV, and so it should eventually give way to other techs.
  20. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this banter from people who aren't even using/living with EV technology.

My BMW K1600GTL has not been ridden ever since I got my electric BMW C Evolution scooter (5800+ miles and counting) this past summer. I've been driving electric cars since 2012. After my initial misgivings, telling my wife not to call me if she runs out of battery in her travels, I have embraced EV transport. I do have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (plug-in hybrid with 25 miles of electric range and 400 gasoline range) which I curse when the gas engine runs.

My electric bill increases $40-50 a month because of my electric vehicles (BMW i3, Outlander PHEV and C Evolution). That is offset by solar panels and having workplace charging, no maintenance costs ($0 with 9 digits). Only expense has been consumables like tires and windshield washer fluid and wipers. ll I do is plug in and ride, no tune ups, oil changes, air filters, fuel filters, brake pads (I've put over 300k miles on my EVS and haven't had to replace brake pads yet thanks to regen braking), catalytic converters, transmission fluids, etc.

I turn on my EVs and drive/ride off immediately, no warm up needed. Except for the Outlander PHEV, they are much quicker than gas vehicles. No need for a clutch and transmission on my scooter. They are old components that eat up efficiency. With extremely few exceptions, stoplight drags have a very predictable result, EVs win without even trying hard.

Again, I have 300k+miles of EV mileage. I'm not talking hypothetical stuff.
    tonymarchman and RedRocket like this.