New Elka Triple Clicker with Hydraulic Preload Shock for Stroms Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cheff, May 5, 2008.

1. cheff

cheff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I had my first real test with the Elka with all adjustments in the middle, manual preload at 11mm, bottom clevis at 10mm, and the hydraulic preload at 33 clicks. This is with a full set of Caribou luggage empty, sag is set at 34mm.

So on my way to work I took my unusual route which takes me on some back roads that have some good dips on them. 2 are singles, and 1 is a double dip [​IMG] With the stock shock the bike would bottom out on one of the deep singles going 35mph. Bottom hard and scrape the bash plate. So I took it at the usual speed of 30mph, and the bike did not bottom or bounce me off at all. I made a U-turn and hit it again at 40mph, again no bottom or excessive rebound, I was getting really happy at this point. Again I made my U-turn and hit it going 50mph right down the middle where its at its deepest part. The bike did hit harder this time, front hit hard, but did not bottom (don't have new springs and gold valves installed yet) and the rear compressed quite a bit, but it did not bottom out with the classic clunk and scrape of the stock shock. This satisfied me and put a smile on my face, so I headed towards home to try the double.

About 1 block from my house I came up on the deep double dip. I hit is at about 25mph since my confidence was up from the previous test. Bike took the dips like nothing! With the stock shock the rear would compact when hitting the second dip and bottom with a huge Clunk and scrape from the skid plate at 15mph. I did a U-turn and hit the double dip at 30mph, the bike hit hard but still did not bottom out.

This is the first test since the install, I need to play a bit more with it to set it just where I want it. But I am waiting till I get the front done before I mess with the rear anymore.
  2. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When did you get yours? I got a package in the mail a couple of days ago from Blair. I was thinking that if this was the shock it was one small, Etty bitty little sucker. It turned out to be an Elka cap. (thanks Blair) I anxiously await the shock.
  3. cheff

cheff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my shock on Friday, and my hat on Saturday.
  4. Motoswami

Motoswami Motoswami

Oddometer:
    I try to never be too proud to ask for help. Rather than waste a lot of time jacking up the bike at the wrong point, only to find out I would have saved a lot of time (or an accident) if I had benefitted from the Wisdom of the Group:

what's the best way to support the bike while changing the shock?

Here's where I am at the moment:
    1. Bike on front and rear Pit Bull stands, wheels removed (I'm doing fresh rubber as well as a shock swap)
    2. I have a small hydraulic roll-under jack, which when I put it directly under aluminum elbow-shaped portion of the shock linkage (which is the lower attachment point for the dogbones), I find by jacking slightly I can neutralize the pressure on the dogbone bolts (which would allow me to remove the dogbones).
    3. Is this the point where I want the jack placed to complete the job? It looks like I need to be further forward, on the centered black steel frame member which is another bolt attachment point for the shock linkage but would appear to a point under which I could raise or lower the bike independent of the shock linkage and its motion as I begin to unbolt stuff.
    4. I also have a full under-belly ATV/cruiser jack which can hold the bike if I place it under the skid pan. I don't care for that too much, since the skid pan isn't exactly industrial-strength braced.
    5. If everything else is unsatisfactory, I have the option of slinging the bike from the rafters, but raising and lowering with a come-along (fence stretcher) is imprecise. I generally use this hoist as a secondary for safety, in case the whole shootaree tries to flop over on its side and me.
    6. Am I on the right track?

Pete
  5. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread as he's got a group buy going on stromtroopers!