New England

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 625SXC, May 23, 2019.

1. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    June 20th looks like I’m going to be able to do a quick 4 day ride from Cleveland Ohio area through New York, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine and back

I’ll be on a 1290 SA and unless I can talk my brother into renting a GS he’ll probably be on his K1200S which will keep us on paved roads

What are some must ride roads and must see things I can link together on a back roads ride. Don’t care much about super touristy stuff... roads and epic scenery are enough for me
  2. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll have a ton of great roads to pick from.

Have you visited https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestRoads/Best_Roads.htm
    The NER website is an amazing collection of awesome riding. Links to google maps, GPX , and all the best riding either by state, or loop-type rides already set to go.

My recommendations always include the 'gap' roads and many stretches of route 100 in VT, the Mt Washington (ride up!) area in NH and Maine route 27 from Eustis to the CAN border.
    Cav47 likes this.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far into Maine do you plan on riding?
  4. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    However far we happen to get. Riding a total of 4 days
  5. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The twister.. tighter more technical the better
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's 2 day out and 2 back...not far and not enough time.
    Rural New England roads can be slow.
    Klinc207 and Roadscum like this.
  7. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ya... well we’ll go as far as we can get in 2 days... then head home. Have to make due with what time we have
    Possibly Certifiable likes this.
  8. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Maine is a bitch to ride around in. The northern parts are all private logging roads.

Sandwich Notch Rd, to Tripoli, to the Kanc, left on Bear Notch, to Mt Clinton, to Jefferson Notch, to Erroll.

Something like this,

https://kurviger.de/en?point=Tripoli Road, 03293, Woodstock, New Hampshire, United States of America&point=Mount Clinton Road, Carroll, New Hampshire, United States of America&point=Jefferson Notch Road, 03589, Low and Burbank's Grant, New Hampshire, United States of America&locale=en&vehicle=motorcycle&weighting=curvaturebooster&additional_weighting=&ch.disable=true&use_miles=true&elevation=true&avoid_toll_roads=true&avoid_ferries=true&avoid_motorways=true&avoid_main_roads=true&layer=Esri Streets

Once in Erroll, get onto 26 across Cote's and bang a right then a left onto 16. There's a handful of dirt roads that lead into Maine by Umbagog and Richardson Lakes.
  9. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the Mt Washington Auto Road worth the $17 fee and associated heavier traffic?
  10. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Mt. Washington auto rd. Is great experience , but is time consuming . Imo having only four days from Ohio I would not travel past lake Champlain. Upstate New York has some of the best roads for motos.finger lakes, lake placid, etc are areas are worth slowing down to see.
    kantuckid likes this.
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I'd skip the Finger Lakes in NY, scenic but too much traffic and better twisties are further east in the Catskills and north in the Adirondacks.

Do this to get to NY and continue on NY 30 along the south side of the Pepacton Reservoir east of Downsville:

https://goo.gl/maps/J3to84PxgicybbMc9
    Edit: I just realized that it was taking you out of Hyner View the wrong way:

https://goo.gl/maps/bkuosaz442FCwEZx8

Stop at Hyner View SP for the view (the road to there is awesome as well).
    The plot before Meehoopany is taking you off of 87 before Forkston which I don't normally do, there may be some construction/detour in effect at the moment. Do follow the plot east of Forkston/Meehoopany!

There's a ton of great secondary roads around the entire reservoir region of the Catskills, so that may be as far as you get (Ulster county 47 is a favorite).
    It's a bit of a slog to get from the Catskills up to the Adirondacks, but if you do, NY 10 is probably the best option, then lots more swervery is available.
    North side of Great Sacandaga lake (Saratoga county 4) is a treat, but not on a weekend - too much boat hauling traffic.
    The toll road to the top of Mt Whiteface is very nice as well from a scenic perspective.
    kantuckid likes this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a risky endeavor as a destination because you never know what the weather will bring. You may be able to ride up, but if the summit is under complete cloud cover it can be underwhelming. Also sleet, snow or high winds can make it a no-go and close it to moto traffic.
  13. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We’re going to head that way regardless... hopefully weather cooperates
  14. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    RE: Mt Washington

Best do that on like a Wednesday morning. It can get stupid busy. Also, the temperature is vastly different at the summit. There are a handful of roads in the area I'd rather ride on. Just gets too damned busy.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't have much time to spend in Maine I think all the roads in NH are great.
    Klinc207 likes this.
  16. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Far too ambitious of a plan, not nearly enough time to enjoy the beautiful roads in New England. Vermont Rt 100 was a favorite of mine when I lived in the NE. A ride over Smugglers Notch(between Stowe Vt. and Cambridge Vt.) is a must do if ya make it that far east..

Paul
  17. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    I could easily spend two full, 600 mile days in VT.
    KevinP65 and wee-twin like this.
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Four days?

Honestly, don't bother. Just haul ass up to the Adirondacks and spend your time exploring there. Maybe dip into Vermont on the afternoon of day 2, back into the Adirondacks middle of day 3. No way you have enough time to ride good roads in NH and Maine and actually take in any of the landscapes you're riding through. If your only aim is to ride some twisties, hoof it south into West Virginia instead. They have better twisties anyway.

Also keep in mind that northern New England roads tend to be small two-lane ones with relatively low speed limits and plenty of towns, many of which make much of their revenue by issuing speeding tickets. So if you're thinking you can blast along and cover 600 miles a day, you should rethink.

--mark
  19. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Agree those are all very good roads but with the time constraints I'd suggest riding in Vermont.

You can't make a wrong turn in Vermont but as someone said the 'gap' roads. String them together for a ripping good ride.

Vermont has the best riding in New England, imo.
    wee-twin likes this.
  20. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    I would tend to agree.