New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. kj6tk

kj6tk Two Wheel Commute

Oddometer:
    Now with 800+ miles on the new bike I can mount it by stepping over the seat. Guess it took a few days and a few miles to get my legs stretched out and muscles to loosen up to lift my leg high enough to clear the seat. Who said you can’t teach an old dog? I also mastered the step on the high side peg mount also. It may come in handy someday.

I had the bike in the shop 3 times already, first for the 600 mile run-in oil change then a few minutes later after picking it up and riding about 6 miles the fault light and engine icon came on. They could not find anything wrong and reset it. The next day it came on again, I took it back in. The code showed it was something to do with the aux lights or fan. They tested both the fan and lights and reset the fault finding no issues. If it happens again they say they will have to keep the bike a few days and contact the factory for advice. They are confused as why it came on right after a service. The only wire they had to disconnect was the wire to the aux power socket on the cover they removed to get to the service plug. I have ridden it another 200 miles since and it’s been a few days, the issue has not come back. I hope I am in the clear, If the computer was right it may have been a new tight fan motor that’s now spinning freely or one of the leads they disconnected and reconnected to test the fan motor.

I Installed RAM mounts for a Ham Radio hand held transceiver, a GPS and my iPhone and ordered ADV stickers.

Talk to you soon with and update on my new bike and adventures to come.
  2. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set of TT upper bars myself. Can't wait for them to arrive. The TT bars are very sharp-looking and I have never been disappointed with their quality in the past.
  3. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Congrats. Nice-looking machine!:clap
  4. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Hope this was just a bad connection. Keep us posted, please.
  5. OldPete2112

OldPete2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Christmas has arrived! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418859775.811011.jpg

All who wander are not lost.
  6. OldPete2112

Oddometer:
    So now the rigging begins. The dealer is doing it all for me as I am still stuck at work up north. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418860011.601283.jpg

7. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's frikken awesome. Straight from the fatherland, I love mine. Puts a smile on my face. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  8. OldPete2112

Oddometer:

I have to tell you, the dealer has been extremely good to deal with. Island BMW in Victoria BC is a boutique dealer, selling only BMW. my wife and I bought two bikes from them this year, hers was an F800gs off the show room floor and mine was special ordered I for exactly when I wanted it, Christmas.

I work up north and don't have a lot of time off, so when I ordered my bike I wanted it as complete as possible. Of course the dealer could not access everything I wanted, so I ended up bringing in boxes of stuff for install last time I was in town. The bike has everything from Altrider protection, Touratech guards and the new GSA upper crash bars, to Scott's steering stabilizer and full Remus titanium exhaust, and custom modified crash guards and PCV, even full LED upgrade including lighted hand protectors and Scott's oiler.

The bike arrived two days ago, and the dealer got right to work. Including sending me photos from in the crate through rigging. So far our experience with them have been outstanding.

I look forward to picking it up next week. For now here is an update from last night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418910940.703617.jpg

9. RvGS

RvGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    White GSA is looking sharp!

Happy trails to you and your new baby :clap
  10. kj6tk

kj6tk Two Wheel Commute

Oddometer:
    An update

The error light and engine icon came on again today. Only 950 miles on it now. I got another 300 miles before it failed again, thought it may have been fixed by a lose connection.

Rode it back to the dealer, it had the same error code as before aux lights or fan. This time the fan check failed, it would not even spin when 12 volts was applied to it. Glad it failed hard this time so we know what the issue is. They did not have a fan in stock so the pulled one out of another bike and got me back on the road. I think its fixed for good now.

I will keep you posted
  11. kj6tk

kj6tk Two Wheel Commute

Oddometer:
    Love your white bike, Looks like mine with a lot more after market parts. Let us know when you get to travel home to it and go for your first ride.
  12. OldPete2112

Oddometer:

Thank you, I am more than a little excited to be getting the bike on Monday. I had only seen photos of it, and loved the white with red sides to the seat. I ordered Red Pazzo Shorty levers for it and am considering red Woody's Rims sometime later this year. Figure that should make it pretty distinctive.

And yeah, I sort of went all out with Farkles right from the start. Wife figured I would be adding it anyways, so she talked me into just having all the goodies sent to the dealer so they can install it. Like she said, my job is to ride it and enjoy it on my days off. Not sit in the garage tinkering with it. It was actually a bit of a pain in the ass figuring out what I wanted and how to source the parts. The only error so far has been that I ordered a Set of Givi upper crash bars, and ended up getting the new Touratech ones just in time for the install. Just need to find a home for those.

Will post up more photos when I get them, or take them on Monday which ever comes first.

Just noticed that your just down the coast from me. Come on up lets go do some exploring on our new bikes.

OP

Remus installed! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419068567.759348.jpg
  13. OldPete2112

Oddometer:
    Ok, all done and ready for me to pick up Monday.

Merry Christmas to me!

OP ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419116364.362932.jpg

14. kj6tk

kj6tk Two Wheel Commute

Oddometer:
    Looks Great!!!
    Its going to be a long Sunday,
  15. OldPete2112

Oddometer:

Your not kidding! Dealer closed Sunday and Monday, but the business manager offered to come in on his day off to deliver my new bike.

Pretty happy about it and looking forward to the first ride. I ordered it in August, shortly after my crash and have been waiting (well and healing) since. Now I am better and ready to ride.

OP

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419154314.626314.jpg

16. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Those Touratech Upper's look amazing. Waiting to hear back from Altrider to see if they have uppers in the plan?!?!

Great looking bike, I ALMOST paid a lot more for the '15 white & red, but my wife kept my feet grounded and I got a '14 red one for a great deal!!

Keep us posted! I have winter farkles sitting in the garage waiting to be thrown on, i'll post up when I get to them. :deal
  17. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Oi veh. Sounds like a fluke; I'm not seeing a lot of chatter about this problem on the 800GSA. Hope that's the end of your problems with the bike.
  18. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Damn all of those farkles look nice! My wallet is still pinned shut after buying my '14. I'm going to have to do the one-farkle-at-a-time thing. Good for you!
  19. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trick I've found for getting on is to bend the knee tight as you swing the leg over. That way you aren't contacting anything aft of the seat.
    I usually dismount by stepping on the inside peg....kinda like getting off a horse. I pretty much have to use this technique for all but the airhead.
  20. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer: